Analysis Individual Player Analysis Pre 2018 Season - Liam Shiels

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiela will be fringe best 22 this year if two things happen, JoM stays fit, one of Lovell or Cousins breaks out.

Have to disagree here.

Would be 1st or 2nd picked every week along with Stratton I would have thought.

If the likes of Lovell, Cousins,Worpel warrant selection I would have thought others will get the chop 1st.

Have to disagree here.

Would be 1st or 2nd picked every week along with Stratton I would have thought.

If the likes of Lovell, Cousins,Worpel warrant selection I would have thought others will get the chop 1st.
People get picked on performance really. Last year his output was down and his clangers were pretty high for 21 odd touches a game. I really hope he comes good, but we know how fast the game moves now ala mitch and lewis.

Midfield roles are really defined now, the smaller guys can go through a flank or pocket/pressure fwd and the more permanent inside mids are big boys now, just look at Cripps. Shielas not skillful enough and probably not fast enough to play outside/role playing flanker/pocket (poppy/bruest). So if he isnt racking up numbers, what does clarko do with him? Somewhat limited in that aspect.

But I do agree with you, at his best he's a walk up.

People get picked on performance really. Last year his output was down and his clangers were pretty high for 21 odd touches a game. I really hope he comes good, but we know how fast the game moves now ala mitch and lewis.

Midfield roles are really defined now, the smaller guys can go through a flank or pocket/pressure fwd and the more permanent inside mids are big boys now, just look at Cripps. Shielas not skillful enough and probably not fast enough to play outside/role playing flanker/pocket (poppy/bruest). So if he isnt racking up numbers, what does clarko do with him? Somewhat limited in that aspect.

But I do agree with you, at his best he's a walk up.
Not just for performance but for roles and team balance
We don't have anyone that can yet play Shiels defensive midfield pressure role

Howe is a little behind in most numbers, he's obviously stronger overhead and can block or tag in different ways with his longer reach and bigger size but he doesn't yet provide the same run on the outside that Shiels does (he's not quick but he covers a lot of ground)

I think they can both complement the team in different ways and I think we shall see a lot of both of them next year

The fact Pup is a VC should not be underestimated either, there is more to his game than what you see in the stats

It is a big year for Liam, he needs to impact games more. He will hopefully have 2 guns in Titch and Jaeger in the square with him to assist him finding the footy.

At some stage we will release Howe from the tagging role, if Liam isn't finding the footy he might find himself playing the negating role again.

If this does happen it won't take long for the next gen to compete for this spot.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is a big year for Liam, he needs to impact games more. He will hopefully have 2 guns in Titch and Jaeger in the square with him to assist him finding the footy.

At some stage we will release Howe from the tagging role, if Liam isn't finding the footy he might find himself playing the negating role again.

If this does happen it won't take long for the next gen to compete for this spot.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, if Liam Shiels is fit, he’s in the team.

He’s proved himself at the highest level.

Credits run out last year. New beginnings on the horizon but Liam does have the traits to go next step, just look at his performances against swans in Sydney and the first half against the pies in rd9 last year, they should be bare minimum.

Paul Abott likes this, me not so much...;)
Prove yourself over and over, that's the way if you want your name in indelible ink.

Paul Abbott had a handful of decent games, and kicked 6 in a Grand Final when the defenders were watching Dermie and Dunstall (and Bucky, Curran, etc). He's a stalwart of the Past Players Association, but that's about it.

Liam Shiels has been good for several years and has done it in several Grand Finals. He's highly regarded internally, which is confirmed by being appointed vice captain.

If Roughie is injured, he or Smith will be captaining the club.

Shiels will return to his best as a player with Mitchell and Jaeger playing together consistently. He's a damaging midfielder, he can get forward and his tackling pressure is second to none. That 2015 game against West Coast where he laid 17 tackles, he dragged us across the line that week - that's his ceiling.

No player who has had 15, 16 and 17 tackles in a game is an also ran.

Paul Abbott had a handful of decent games, and kicked 6 in a Grand Final when the defenders were watching Dermie and Dunstall (and Bucky, Curran, etc). He's a stalwart of the Past Players Association, but that's about it.

Liam Shiels has been good for several years and has done it in several Grand Finals. He's highly regarded internally, which is confirmed by being appointed vice captain.

If Roughie is injured, he or Smith will be captaining the club.
Shiels will return to his best as a player with Mitchell and Jaeger playing together consistently. He's a damaging midfielder, he can get forward and his tackling pressure is second to none. That 2015 game against West Coast where he laid 17 tackles, he dragged us across the line that week - that's his ceiling.

No player who has had 15, 16 and 17 tackles in a game is an also ran.

Agree his ceiling is clearly good enough to be a valuable team member.
The question for me is when a player hits that ceiling relatively young and fails to continue to grow his game, and then in fact falls away in some regards.
Your ceiling requires absolute max effort and good luck, and the question becomes what does his play look like at 10-15% below that max. In many ways it's also the position he plays.....as a back pocket you'd barely notice a 10% drop off in form from him because his defensive efforts haven't been hugely compromised.
As an onballer, not finding a tonne of the ball himself, not being as good a link up player, and not hurting the opposition in front of goal stands out more glaringly.

With our mid field depth (or lack of) Shiels is a very important player for us. No doubt he has the ability to get plenty of it and defensively he’s elite, it’s his disposal which is the worry - mainly near goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back