Prediction Individual player predictions for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Some Big Footy predictions:
- There'll be someone complaining about selection in every team announcement thread.
- Someone or maybe a few people will say 'I have a bad feeling about this game' every week.
- MD will use the words 'sheep' and 'Jong' at least 100 times each.
- I won't win the footy tipping.
- Igloo will stick up for the town of Geelong at some stage.
- Norm's anti cheese vendetta will grow legs and the march from Fed Square to the MCG before the qualifying final will be a no cheese on egg and bacon rolls protest.
- I won't win our SC league.
- At least 25 players will be mentioned as possibly being delisted or traded at end of year.
- I won't win the Pieman competition.
- Come finals time all opposition big footy supporters will question whether we can win away from Etihad despite us winning 80% of games away from the venue.
- I won't win the first goalkicker, margin and crowd competition.
- Someone will take offence to this post.*

* Please don't take offence, in no way was this a serious post. Of course I'll win SC, tipping, pieman and first goalkicker et al.

Apologies to anybody who has raised this before but could Kieran Collins be our next CHF? There is enough in his highlights reel to suggest he could be a useful forward - can lead, mark and kick straight. I realise he won't have the tank yet to play the position but there is no reason he can't be given a few stints there this season with a view to adding versatility to his game.

jong to work on a bit of dally like pressure and play mostly down forward, i can see him being a (lot) better version of josh hill – can take a grab & despite the reports of his terrible kicking, he seems to be a pretty good set shot for mine

roughy to prove everyone wrong by doing something good, somewhere on the ground & on a consistent basis

picken to keep being the best under rated player in the league

libba, to be libba without missing a beat
Agree with the Jong call. He is the pretty obvious choice to get first crack at Cramers spot.

Roughead is a better forward than Redpath and T.Boyd at the moment for mine. Have been saying he should be played a fwd for years but tempered that when he was playing really well as a defender before more injuries struck. I rate him more than most i guess

Yeah thought this once but Rough cannot kick at goal and doesn't get it enough. Redpath kills Rough as a fwd IMO. And I rate Redpath as our least talented and most limited player by some margin.

Roughead is a better forward than Redpath and T.Boyd at the moment for mine. Have been saying he should be played a fwd for years but tempered that when he was playing really well as a defender before more injuries struck. I rate him more than most i guess
No.
Can't time leads, repeat leads, kick straight or read the play further up the ground.
Would rather jong and I have MD opinion of jong.

Tonight should convince Roughy is no forward. You could argue he is not even AFL standard anywhere.
At the cross roads for me.

With so many threads about so many topics, I thought I'd pen my thoughts on each individual player and my expectation for them this season.

1. Matthew Suckling
Has come across with not so much as a boom, but a small ripple. A prodigious kick but prone to skill errors, I want to see him used as an offensive weapon.
2015: B
2016: B

2. Robert Murphy

An obviously fantastic year last year. For us to be a serious player he needs to play 20 of 22 because we don't have someone who can do what he does as well as he does yet.
2015: A

3. Mitch Wallis

If last year was his litmus test, this year will yet again offer opportunities and problems for him, as he'll go head to head with Libba to play the role they both want to play. I don't think you can have too many players who genuinely give you first use, so I'm bullish, as I've always been, that he'll go well again.

4. Marcus Bontempelli

Whilst I've been assured his limited training won't affect his performance this year, I struggle to believe it - but will take others on trust. He was fantastic last year, attracting the tag more often than not. He seems to have maturity beyond his years and handles everything with aplomb. A future captain and potential superstar. I expect his attitude to make up for any physical deficiencies he encounters.
2016: A

5. Matthew Boyd

My knocks on him this time last year were well highlighted by many, but I accepted early on that he had found a role he utterly dominated in and I sang his praises for the year. As professional as they come and I expect if we finish in the 8, he's played at last 18 games and performed at the top of his game. The kids can't be expected to play as well as him yet. If he flatlines we may struggle to make the 8 IMO.

6. Luke Dahlhaus

He continues to get better and better. Other than his appal.... inconsistent foot skills, he is the complete footballer. He's a determined little bugger and is a fantastic chance of going into the AA squad this year.

7. Lachie Hunter

After an indifferent start to the season, with scandals and attitudinal issues, he turned himself around towards the end of the season to project a future 150 gamer and quality player.
2015: C

8. Stewart Crameri

Poor bugger

9. Jake Stringer
This time last year I said that he could be anything he wanted to be, and there's no doubt the penny dropped. The frightening thing for the rest of the competition is how much upside this boy has got, from strength to speed and general match awareness. He could be the GOAT if he wants to be. Hasn't missed a beat all preseason and I have big expectations for him.

10. Easton Wood

It would be easy to sit back and say last year was an anomaly for this boy, and if he was older I would agree, but he is still young and still learning and I think he has enormous upside still. You literally couldn't play his position any better than he did last year. I'm only hoping he can maintain an A grade rating and I expect him to have a fantastic season. Like Murph, we don't have another logical replacement for him who can step in and play to his levels right away.

11. Jackson Macrae

Our accumulator who didn't enjoy the spotlight quite so brightly last year but a player who will continue to be vitally important moving forward. He runs hard to create space and he delivers the ball with accuracy and speed all the time. He needs to work on his defensive running and his kicking over a longer distance, but you cannot have enough people who can pick up the ball 30 times a game.

12. Zaine Cordy

I'm on record as saying I love this kid because I love his aggression and I love his willingness to take on the game. Another year of strengthening and development and I hope we see something closer to the finished product in 2018.
2015: D
2016: D

13. Nathan Hrovat

I might be in the minority but I'm glad we kept him on the list. I like his decision-making and I like his calmness under pressure. Yes, he doesn't have a lot of speed and yes he doesn't have a lot of elite traits but he is a good "company man" and I think that the club is better for having him. No doubt it is an important year for him, though.
2016: C

14. Clay Smith

I just type he has a clean run at it and doesn't hurt himself again

15. Tom Campbell
I always liked the way this boy projected but I have been very disappointed with the progress he has made, or not made, over the last two years. I suspect that this year will be a very important year in the life of Tom Campbell.

16. Toby McLean

On what we have seen, this boy could be anything, but equally he could be nothing. He burst onto the scene and he has a enormous athletic upside, but we need to see him do it for a full season. He's fighting for the most hotly contested position in our club and I hope that what we saw last year can be replicated this year and a cements a spot in our best 22.

17. Tom Boyd

Oh Lord, give me strength. I wasn't as disappointed as somewhere in his performances last year. Having come off a very limited pre season he showed that he does have elite traits and he does have a skill set that this club desperately needs. Not only that, but he has a pay packet that dictates that he must be successful. Whilst I expect him to make progress this year, I still think he is two years away. But I hope he performs well enough to that the naysayers STFU.

18. Fletcher Roberts

I'm not quite sure what to make of Fletcher. He strikes me as a third defender not a first or second defender. Hopefully the introduction of Adams And (possibly) Collins will allow him to play the role he wants to play. He may also be able to drift forward.

19. Lukas Webb

I love this kid. He's as pure a kick of the football as we have and I love his toughness and his decision-making. He is also a leader and a natural replacement for Matthew Boyd when he retires. How much game time he gets this year will come down to his development but I have high hopes for this kid.

20. Josh Dunkley

Having not been down to training I can only go on what others tell me. He comes to us as a leader of men and a tough as teak footballer who takes people along for the ride with him. Given what we saw last year I expect him to play around 10 games.

21. Tom Liberatore
This is a really tough one. Everything tells us that he's come back bigger and better than ever, but I am always skeptical of people coming back for a major reconstruction. If he can come back and play to a B standard, I will be rapt. Anything more than that will be a major bonus. I'm expecting a bonus!
2015: N/A

22. Mitch Honeychurch

Like McLean, he's fighting for a hotly contested position in the team. He has the grunt and the aggression to be an important part of the club but his skills and decision-making at time can be poor. My gut tells me that if he plays more than 13 or 14 games we might be in a little bit of trouble. I just don't know what his point of difference is, compared to others on the list.

23. Jordan Roughead

I've always been a bit of a fan of Jordan. He's gone through a lot for the club and he's never been able to settle into one position. I hope that he'll be able to settle into that ruck position that we all desperately need him to be able to fill. He's the best mark of the football that we have in the team at his height (for around the ground play) so if he is able to make himself the long term ruck, we will be all the better for it.

24. Shane Biggs

He's never been one of my favourites but I will happily admit that I was harsh on him during the final series last year. His performances were pretty good but my problem with him is that he always takes the easy option and he is now competing with players who are younger than him and who I think are better than him.

25. Koby Stevens

He is continually lambasted yeah for his performances but his strength and his aggression was sorely missed during the final last year. I really consider him an important part of the team and hopefully if he can stay fit for the year we will be all the better for it.

26. Declan Hamilton

If he continues to struggle to put on weight I suspect this could be the last year for Declan. As I have mentioned previously the work that he does goes largely unnoticed, which means that in a good side he could be important but he is competing with a lot of other people at a similar hearts in the club for a position.
2015: E

27. Will Minson

I I am a fan of Will's. His willingness to work at supporting his teammates and his tap work is very good, however last year his fitness and his ability to cover the ground, by any marker, pathetic. I've been told he's lost weight and he's worked very hard on his running so if that is true that will make a huge difference for both him and us.

28. Josh Prudden

Not a big fan. He is very vanilla and he is competing for a place with umpteen more talented kids. Nice kick, but slow, so he'll make a terrific suburban footballer.

29. Tory Dickson

Amazing last year, simply amazing. He is as opportunistic as there is an whilst I think it is hard to predict that he will have as good a year as he did last year I can't see any reason why he can't be a very very good B grade footballer. He is a natural footballer and he is in an age bracket that we don't have many in.

30. Joel Hamling

From the moment I saw him in Ballarat I thought "we have picked something up here" that we didn't have very much of; a rangy, athletic, quick defender with good hands. With greatest strength and natural improvement I can't say why he can't project up into a really good B grade defender.

31. Bailey Dale

I've rattled on about this kid ad nauseam. He has a unique skill set in that he is quick, he's tough, he's chronically under developed but he kicks darts and I love kids with talent who kick the ball properly. I always wanted WHE but he's our WHE IMO.

32. Kieran Collins

Who knows? If he's 10% of what we hope he will be, he will be a 25 year fullback for us and a linchpin of our future success. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen him play live but everything he has physically is exactly what we need. I'll be honest though I just wish he's better than Talia.

33. Marcus Adams
See above

34. Bailey Williams
I literally have no idea but from what I've heard and what I've been told he can at least play the guy which is a really good start. Like the others I will reserve judgement until I have seen him play, but if he can get 8 to 10 games out this year, that will mean that he is a very good footballer.

35. Caleb Daniel
A superstar in the making (I hope). I have enormous faith in him. Things happen when he has the ball, he's well built and runs and runs and runs. I expect him to move into a solid best 22 selection by season's end and prove himself a future 200 gamer.

38. Dale Morris
As consistent as the day is long he has been a stalwart in the back line for us and hopefully he can continue to pay for another one or two years. We need him to hang on for a little bit longer because it might take a year or two for those young players to come through and play to his level and that is what we need - we can't have a drop off.

39. Jason Johannisen

I was long a critic of his because he didn't take the game on and use his natural attributes to their best effect. He really turned the corner last year and projects as highly as anyone in our club for improvement. If we can keep him on the park and use his run off the wing or out of the backline, he will be extremely important to our success or otherwise.

42. Liam Picken

Still my first picked every week because of his consistency, his attitude and his wont to destroy the opposition. He was well rewarded last year for the efforts he put in the years before, and although I don't see improvement in him, if he can maintain a B level we will better.

43. Jack Redpath

I've waxed lyrically about him all summer. As a 1985 big bodied lead up marking option he is fantastic, as a modern day forward, he lacks mobility. He still projects to have improvement, but he does have a $7 million boy sitting under him, which will, at the very least, keep him on his toes. I'm not in the camp that says that he and Boyd can play in the same forward line, but it would make me very happy to be proven wrong.

46. Lin Jong

Wow, what a way to finish. As controversial a topic as that has been for the last two weeks here, I still see upside in him. He has physical attributes that stand him apart from others on the list, but clearly he has a lot to learn from a purely footballing way. Even if he is considered a depth player, he has the aggresion and he has the physical attributes which mean that he should be given a longer run at it than others. I'd rather give him 5 years to prove he can't do it, than some of the younger ones 2 years to prove they can.

Happy to discuss any of this.
Wasn't far off

I'll have a better read later on but after a skim you're predicting that all but two of the players on our list will improve on or equal their 2015 output, and half of our list will be B grade or better. Over 18% of our list have been rated as A graders. Frankly I think that's an extremely optimistic outlook and one that would, at a guess, place us firmly in the top four and challenging for the premiership in a big way. Not that there's anything wrong with that...I just hope we as a supporter base aren't setting expectations in line with an "everybody will improve" mantra. Player development isn't linear, nor is player output - particularly with young players. Predictions are great fun, I just hope we don't expect this level of improvement.

Not meaning to be a buzzkill, I have high hopes for this season too and, on a preliminary read, aside from a few bits and pieces I don't disagree with too much. Just making sure that line between hope and expectation is still in place...this board could be a nightmare if we start expecting greatness this year.
Buzzkill

Rough has been the one to grab his ops. Well done to him.

Tonight should convince Roughy is no forward. You could argue he is not even AFL standard anywhere.
At the cross roads for me.

Ha ha! Another "suspect" player that has stood up KH! Keep it going bud!!!! :thumbsu:;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back