#indyref2 Scotland and the second independence referendum

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it?

The vast majority of polls since the Brexit vote have been against independence.
Have they? Then why did Scots vote en masse for a pro-independence party recently, that quite openly speaks of holding a second referendum? I can't imagine their health care policy is really that much of an improvement on Labour.

With all this due respect, this is a stupid question same like "we can trade with the whole world, why with Europe". They will not only lose access to 5 billion euros a year they will lose access to programs like COST, Marie curie scholarship programs (which resulted in 3 nobel prizes), Horizon program (which one of the best research programs in the world) and the declining participation of European scientists in UK based projects which is already happening on a large scale since 2016. Cost of setting up programs, inviting scientists, creating infrastructure,, collaboration programs is not easy. US defense funds missile research program in the UK that took only 13 years to set up and after 12 billion dollars is finally up and running.

Imagine you and meds pretending to know more about science and research than 2 presidents of the royal society and 2 nobel prize winners.

Read the article you will see vast majority of the scientists think this poses a major problem for research in science and tech in the UK. But no, you and meds must know more and better, based on gut feeling.

thers fierce competition, but I reckon boris will turn out to been the flakiest demagogue of them all when history is writ

LOL you talking about academics, how cute and rise where? they are already top of the tree, under EU.

Nah, UK produces nothing.

United Kingdom

Nah, UK produces nothing.

United Kingdom

You might wanna check what i wrote again...dear sir.

Nicola Sturgeon is to set out her "next steps" towards holding a new referendum on Scottish independence, on the day the UK formally leaves the EU.

The Scottish first minister says she wants to hold indyref2 later this year, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson has already rejected her request.

Ms Sturgeon has previously said she will not hold an unofficial referendum similar to the one in Catalonia.

She will, however, set out plans to step up the campaign for independence.

Ms Sturgeon will address an audience of SNP activists in Edinburgh at about 09:30, with the party saying she will set out "the next steps on Scotland's journey to independence".

The event comes just hours before the whole of the UK leaves the EU at 23:00, despite Scottish voters backing Remain by 62% to 38% in the EU referendum.

Ms Sturgeon is due to say: "Tonight Scotland will be taken out of the European Union against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of people in Scotland.

"Nothing could more starkly demonstrate how our nation's needs are no longer served by a broken, discredited Westminster union.

"But there is the prospect of a brighter, better future as an equal, independent European nation."

This is interesting. Politics in Scotland is heavily influenced by sectarianism which is mind boggling in this day and age. Despite the SNP being dominant in the devolved parliament and the recent UK election, there is still a significant loyalist population.

Issues facing the independence push beyond that include the UK government granting another referendum, questions over an independent Scotland’s economic viability, whether they would be granted access back into the EU and whether entering the EU as an independent Scotland would be a good thing.

The landscape post an independent Scotland would also be intriguing. Would the SNP weaken as price for getting their ultimate goal? So much of their identity has been built on Scottish independence that there’s probably a chance of a realignment if they achieved that goal.

I’m interested as a second generation Scot and can see the merits of both sides of the argument. However, I don’t see there being a second indyref anytime soon.

Funny how sovereignty no longer matters, one country continuously sets and terms and conditions on how the union should be run. The freedom lovers love this kind of union.

Scotland is not a separate country.

If a suburb voted to leave Victoria would it be ignoring sovereignty?

Scotland had a vote and chose no. At the time the push was "this is our one and only chance".

Except now they want another. And if they lost again, another.

Maybe the UK should let them go. Cant imagine the EU would want them. They would be begging back in.

Scotland had a vote and chose no. At the time the push was "this is our one and only chance".

Maybe the UK should let them go. Cant imagine the EU would want them. They would be begging back in.

Apart from the fact that the legal system has always been distinct, they have their own banknotes etc etc

So more of a state which joined a union. just like Britain in the EU.
Scotland has often been aligned with Europe in its battles with England. it goes a long way back. Not sure theyd want a border though - but theyd want the same deal as the Irish border

Begging to be back in? No doubt that view prevails in part of the EU too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland had a vote before brexit, i think the circumstances are different now. And comparing Scotland with victoria is just ridiuclous. Scotland was a separate state which joined the Union. It is STILL A UNION. Occupied Ireland is also a separate country which voted to stay in the EU. ROI has left the union, it's not begging to come back and it has been through the worst and it has survived and growing just fine? stop with your virtue signaling.

The fact that you can't even acknowledge that England dominates the UK and other countries must accept the decision being made by the Little Englanders shows you are biased, while crying the same about Germany and the EU. Be impartial, for once.

Last edited:
They have their own parliament, and are widely seen as being their own nation within the UK.

Not a good analogy. It's more similar to when WA tried to secede. Rejecting that was indeed ignoring sovereignty.

Cant imagine the EU would want them. They would be begging back in.
Oh really?

Reading back over my post, I was surprised I expressed my sentiment so glibly. What I meant was in the past this had been very much the case and there were still elements of it in their society, far more so than Australia, for example. Thankfully it is changing for the better.

I suppose the somewhat meandering point was that the SNP do have political popularity in Scotland, however, there are people who don’t vote in those elections who may be more motivated to vote in an Indy ref if held soon.

Reading back over my post, I was surprised I expressed my sentiment so glibly. What I meant was in the past this had been very much the case and there were still elements of it in their society, far more so than Australia, for example. Thankfully it is changing for the better.
Admittedly I haven't been to Scotland in the past 7 years, but where do you find sectarianism outside of the Old Firm Derby? I never really saw it anywhere honestly.

I suppose the somewhat meandering point was that the SNP do have political popularity in Scotland, however, there are people who don’t vote in those elections who may be more motivated to vote in an Indy ref if held soon.
Correct, but the SNP aren't fools, they know that. That's why they're going to wait until opinion polls show a firm majority for independence.

Admittedly I haven't been to Scotland in the past 7 years, but where do you find sectarianism outside of the Old Firm Derby? I never really saw it anywhere honestly.
Haha! 2013 was my last visit also.
I don’t really know if it’s in the OF that much any more to be honest aside from idiots and the odd 90 minute bigot. I guess it’s more in the elder parts of my family and the extended family and friends they associated with. Not UDA ultras or political radicals by any stretch, however still sceptical about ‘Catholic influence’ (not that I agree or saw any evidence as such). They probably don’t preach their political views much beyond family, however, they weren’t too keen on Alex Salmond, the SNP and the Indyref at the time.

Correct, but the SNP aren't fools, they know that. That's why they're going to wait until opinion polls show a firm majority for independence.
Yeah. Perhaps I haven’t given them credit, their rise has been quite remarkable over the past two decades.

Scotland will never be able to survive without England and rest of the UK.

Sounds familiar. lol

They could easily survive. Much more so than Wales and NI.

Just would mean big cut in spending (or hope like hell that oil went to $150 and they find more near the Shetlands).

They could easily survive. Much more so than Wales and NI.

Just would mean big cut in spending (or hope like hell that oil went to $150 and they find more near the Shetlands).

If Ireland can survive, so can Scotland. They can actually control their own tax income and spending for a change. The actual costs of governance of an independent Scotland are unknown. Scotland has been in decline within the union for 75 years with many of its most talented people forced to seek employment in the south east or further afield. It can't get much worse, but can only go up from here. How quick people forget Scotland have been a net contributor to the UK coffers for years. This position has been downplayed and reversed by the English press.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back