Inept broadcasting is hurting the game

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Have to agree with the OP. I was out at the time and was on the way home with a few minutes left. It felt like polar opposites listening to it on the radio to then watching it on TV. I really miss the old days where commentators actually knew and understood the art of commentating.

Btw Roos should never be allowed to commentate a Sydney or Melbourne game. He is insufferable and as 1 eyed as they get.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Roos was horrific in commentary today. As Carlton got closer he just sounded less and less interested.
The way he critiques some of the dees players you’d swear they’re back-to-back defending premiers.

Have to agree with the OP. I was out at the time and was on the way home with a few minutes left. It felt like polar opposites listening to it on the radio to then watching it on TV. I really miss the old days where commentators actually knew and understood the art of commentating.

Btw Roos should never be allowed to commentate a Sydney or Melbourne game. He is insufferable and as 1 eyed as they get.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Well god forbid the Swans have a commentator that shows a bit of passion their way. Saves us from the monotonous bullshit of the Victorian commentators barracking for the Victorian team every ******* week. Case in point the game on the weekend. If the Bombers had have got the bullshit run with the umps we got, there'd be 5 days of bitching and whinging like after the Rampe incident. Instead, we will hear not a word mentioned about the Tippa push in the back where there was no contact and he threw himself forward, or the ruck free where Allir was held and pushed in the throat three times but somehow had the free paid against him, or the clear double standards in the holding the ball and prior opportunity rules throughout the game.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I've noticed this quite a few times... you'll be at a close game where the atmosphere is absolutely manic... then you watch it on TV and it's like watching an televised funeral.

Just got it again today, but wasn't at the ground. I was in the car toward the end of the Carlton v Melbourne, and listening to SEN the atmosphere was electric. They has KB (normally don't really like him) and Maher (Carlton shill) commentating, but it didn't matter... the crowd noise coming through the radio broadcast gave you a fantastic feel of being at the game and the genuine atmosphere.

Anyway I got home in time to flick the last couple of minutes on the TV and wow... it was like nap time at the local preschool. Absolute silence, zero crowd effects, same old boring sterile "analysis" from the special comments bozos. There's less than a kick in it with a minute to go and you might as well be watching golf. You hear nothing else except the umpire.

We have plenty of complaints about commentary etc and I'm sure it's primarily because the broadcasters don't care: they have zero want or need to improve it because they're not in a battle for ratings - they just have to bid the highest for the rights and then viewers are stuck with them. It's not like you can flick and watch on another channel.

I'd never think the AFL would look at anything beyond money, but surely this complete inability of the broadcasters to bring the atmosphere to lounge rooms is damaging to the game? People are introduced to it through TV... surely communicating the excitement and atmosphere that the game produces is critical to selling it to people?

Isn't it broadcasting 101? Bring the experience to people at home? How hard is it to turn up the effects mics and make it a bit exciting FFS?
I refuse to listen to SEN when it's Tim the tool Gossage, love to belt that prick.

Commentators like Carey, Ling and BT that,
a) Don't know the rules and b) watch a replay 7 times before explaining why the umpire was wrong, are murdering the game.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BT was horrid today, the amount of times he called a St Kilda bloke the wrong name was astounding. Maybe I notice it more than the average fan as I could tell you every player out there but still it's his job to learn the names is it not?

BT is horrid every day

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
The lack of professionalism of the TV commentators always surprises me. I get that they need their gimmicks to stand out, but a lot seem to avoid doing any sort of actual analysis of what's happening on the field and instead just relay what I've just seen with my own eyes. "Good mark there" is not doing your job FFS, telling me how the forward used their body or whatever to get into a good position is actually helpful.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been enjoying the commentary more this year than the last. BT is getting better at calling and the Roaming thing he does is a rare moment of unscripted, often awkward TV where anything can happen.

That said, I agree with the atmosphere thing. But the reason for that's pretty simple, basically they've turned the crowd mics down for some reason. Some executive decision or something? Just turn the crowd mics up a bit and all of a sudden you've got a heap of atmosphere again.

HG Pennypacker

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Radio always sounds better than tv. Dont ask me why but i guess the radio guys call the game in the open air whilst the tv guys are trapped in a room. So you get a lot of crowd nice on radio just by virtue of the mic picking up background noise.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Radio always sounds better than tv. Dont ask me why but i guess the radio guys call the game in the open air whilst the tv guys are trapped in a room. So you get a lot of crowd nice on radio just by virtue of the mic picking up background noise.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The Channel 7/Fox broadcast is just too clean, audibly speaking. Hang a few mics around the stadium and bring some of that crowd noise back in.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well god forbid the Swans have a commentator that shows a bit of passion their way. Saves us from the monotonous bulls**t of the Victorian commentators barracking for the Victorian team every ******* week. Case in point the game on the weekend. If the Bombers had have got the bulls**t run with the umps we got, there'd be 5 days of bitching and whinging like after the Rampe incident. Instead, we will hear not a word mentioned about the Tippa push in the back where there was no contact and he threw himself forward, or the ruck free where Allir was held and pushed in the throat three times but somehow had the free paid against him, or the clear double standards in the holding the ball and prior opportunity rules throughout the game.
Swans have had commentary, umpires, money, the AFL on their side since the early 1990s so they could stay a team. Pissoff with umpire whinge.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Luckily in the northern states the majority of the day games we get are local sides on Fox. I'd take that lot any day over C7. Even if there is a dud or three in there, the vibe is more agreeable. It feels like we get all the outskirts games that the C7 folks seldom cover, and then when the Giants or Suns or Lions or whatever get their occasional big-time game it is awkward to go from the encouraging Fox regulars to a bunch of commentators that barely know the names.

gimp!

Standus Operatus
Feb 20, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Isn't it broadcasting 101? Bring the experience to people at home? How hard is it to turn up the effects mics and make it a bit exciting FFS?

How can you not understand? They want the crowd levels low so it can be all about Dwayne "IT'S A WIN TO BLOW YOUR MIND! GIVES IT SOME SHOE! MAKES IT SOMEBODY ELSE'S PROBLEM! HITS IT LIKE A SWEET KISS!" Russell.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Only a matter of time before they try this. Com team at bottom screen

green.jpg
green.jpg

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
I've noticed this quite a few times... you'll be at a close game where the atmosphere is absolutely manic... then you watch it on TV and it's like watching an televised funeral.

Just got it again today, but wasn't at the ground. I was in the car toward the end of the Carlton v Melbourne, and listening to SEN the atmosphere was electric. They has KB (normally don't really like him) and Maher (Carlton shill) commentating, but it didn't matter... the crowd noise coming through the radio broadcast gave you a fantastic feel of being at the game and the genuine atmosphere.

Anyway I got home in time to flick the last couple of minutes on the TV and wow... it was like nap time at the local preschool. Absolute silence, zero crowd effects, same old boring sterile "analysis" from the special comments bozos. There's less than a kick in it with a minute to go and you might as well be watching golf. You hear nothing else except the umpire.

We have plenty of complaints about commentary etc and I'm sure it's primarily because the broadcasters don't care: they have zero want or need to improve it because they're not in a battle for ratings - they just have to bid the highest for the rights and then viewers are stuck with them. It's not like you can flick and watch on another channel.

I'd never think the AFL would look at anything beyond money, but surely this complete inability of the broadcasters to bring the atmosphere to lounge rooms is damaging to the game? People are introduced to it through TV... surely communicating the excitement and atmosphere that the game produces is critical to selling it to people?

This is a major gripe of mine with the Nfl especially Espn, they have the effects down so low at times you can barely hear the crowd.

The problem imo is that many commentators are snobs & if it isn't the top teams playing, they treat it all as a joke and don't gaf.

Back