Inept broadcasting is hurting the game

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't really noticed much of a difference in crowd volume. Watched the last five minutes of the Carlton Melbourne game on my phone so cant fully judge. I mean, commentating could be better but I don't have any major gripes.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cut it back to two commetators , a boundary rider. iF we really must , have an exper commentator , but at least have standards for the expert commentator. Well to be honest , standards for all commentators , make them all re-apply , because BT should be cut, his little immature jibes towards other callers and commenting on players haircuts is tiresome

Brayshaw is mind numbing to listen to. "Pounds it long" " bangs it down the middle" " slams it on the foot" Its like he picks an adjective out of the dictionary each week and uses it all that week, actually all that month

Barracking by some commentators is all so disgusting, Brown,Pavlich, Lynch , Ling, Jude Bolton and Roos are so blatantly biased.

Dond mind Dal Santo, Riewoldt. Both have good insights and have some attempt at being professional.

HG Pennypacker

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely. Love listening to footy on the radio. They can make every mark seem like a Jezza and every goal seem like McGuane bursting out of the middle.
Nail on the head i think. Radio leaves a lot to your imagination whereas tv its just there and often underwhelming. It's why the book is normally better than the movie

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have to agree the rubbish production of 7 is less enjoyable. Fox is better, but still not great and Dwayne Russell ruins any game he calls.
Dwayne blocked me on twitter for sending him all the "HALF" he said during games

The one that got me blocked was a 7-8 tweet thread
"Half held"
>
"Half a kick away"
>
"Half smothered"
etc

Surely you can add to your vocabulary slightly rather than being such an insufferable tw@t

Brendan Speed - best caller in the country right now. Bruce, BT, Dwayne, Dermie, Roos all need to be tapped on the shoulder. Edit: How did I forget the worst of all, Lingy. Please go away, Cameron.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nail on the head i think. Radio leaves a lot to your imagination whereas tv its just there and often underwhelming. It's why the book is normally better than the movie

Yeah I think it’s the anticipation that adds to the excitement, you can’t see the play unfold so you hang on the call. Funny thing is I’ve listened to a game on radio and watched a replay and certain parts the vision is exactly as I imagined listening to the call, that’s how good the radio commentary is.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
BT is actually quite good on radio I find, as is Brayshaw. They get away with more so I think we can blame 7 for some of the rubbish we get on their telecasts but there's no excuse for the state of the overall commentary caper. Like goal kicking, standards are at an all time low!

Who could ever forget the Fanta-Sia debacle. So embarrassing and cringeworthy

Why do we have so many commentators here? Doesn't happen in NBA, EPL, NFL etc. Our fascination with 15 clowns breaking down Collingwood v Fremantle on a Sunday arvo is bewildering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dwayne blocked me on twitter for sending him all the "HALF" he said during games

"Half held"
>
"Half a kick away"
>
"Half smothered"
etc

Surely you can add to your vocabulary slightly rather than being such an insufferable tw@t

Brendan Speed - best caller in the country right now. Bruce, BT, Dwayne, Dermie, Roos all need to be tapped on the shoulder. Edit: How did I forget the worst of all, Lingy. Please go away, Cameron.

There was one game where Dwayne just referred to every spoil as knuckles/knuckle//knuckled, he’s a ******* moron

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Channel 9 was unreal growing up.. 7 and fox have always struggled to capture What's happening in a real sense.

Before it went to 9 , 7 were great, since then though.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

"Half held"
>
"Half a kick away"
>
"Half smothered"
etc

Dwayne is the worst by far. BT is bad but I think he is self aware to know he is being a troll and a joke. That can actually work on radio because I don't mind the light hearted approach there.

Dwayne actually thinks he's adding value and building excitement with his awful American style commentary.

MemoryLane

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whoever is controlling the cameras is s**t at their job lately. Every bloody game now they choose the wrong camera that isnt even on the ball. And what the hell is up with replays being full screen and live action being in the corner? Should always be the other way around.

As for commentators, the sooner they stop inviting boys club ex players to do it without proper training andexperience the better. Should be made to do their time on state league calls.

Swans have had commentary, umpires, money, the AFL on their side since the early 1990s so they could stay a team. Pissoff with umpire whinge.
Sydney have the worst free for and against differential of any team by approximately 200 frees since 2005, so you are wrong on the umpires. Sydney are the only team in the league to have made an operating profit every year for the last 8 years, so you are wrong about the money. Sydney were restricted from trading when the AFL acknowledged they did nothing wrong, so you are wrong about the AFL being on their side. Any other factually incorrect claims you'd like to throw out there while getting your knickers in a twist? Here's a fact, your club that should have been wiped out of the league because of their blatantly illegal and dangerous drug taking regime only managed to beat the youngest side on the field this round with umpiring assistance. Must hurt.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Would love to press red to mute ed (and every one else in the commentary box).

Pet hate is Carey on Seven games after a goal on Fox. Always repeats the dribble he said during the ad break. It wasn't that interesting the first time you said it.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
For a professional sport, the standard of commentary is so amateur. It gets worse week by week.

I find myself muting it now. It is not only constantly getting players names wrong; it is the blatant bias, lack of insight, nil research and constant stating of the obvious.

My four-year-old daughter can provide more analysis than those over-paid *s.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Channel 9s cricket was way better than channel 7 last summer. Channel 7s bbl coverage was atrocious!
You're probably the only person who thinks that and is actually interested in what Warner wants on his pizza, when Slater got to the hotel late and slept in, and that time tubby ate some curry

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're probably the only person who thinks that and is actually interested in what Warner wants on his pizza, when Slater got to the hotel late and slept in, and that time tubby ate some curry

Warne is one of the best cricketers ever, tubby was a great captain; I’d much rather hear their opinions on the game than Lisa Sthalekar, Jason Richardson, Alison Mitchell, dirk nanness, Trent copeland, brad hodge etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back