Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
This has frustrated me for years, especially given it's such a simple fix. Twiddle a knob, adjust the levels, and get some ******* crowd noise coming through.

Ch9 do this very well with rugby league. It doesnt matter how small the crowd is, the broadcast will convey a pretty decent atmosphere.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
The lack of professionalism of the TV commentators always surprises me. I get that they need their gimmicks to stand out, but a lot seem to avoid doing any sort of actual analysis of what's happening on the field and instead just relay what I've just seen with my own eyes. "Good mark there" is not doing your job FFS, telling me how the forward used their body or whatever to get into a good position is actually helpful.

Some of them (Dermie, Alastair Lynch) actually over-do the analysis.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Paul Roos is the worst. He is insanely biased towards Sydney and when they aren't playing he tries to bring them up. When they are playing he goes on and on about them. Complete waste of space as a commentator. It's just total amateur hour that he can't separate his personal feelings for Sydney from doing a professional job as a commentator.

I lost count of the amount of times he said Essendon were lucky to be so close to Sydney in the one match. It was like there was a Sydney supporting parrot on the air.

The original FoxFooty had the best idea ever.

Three commentary choices for every game. Commentators, Field Effects or Umpire mics, allowed the viewer to choose what they wanted to listen to. Be great if they could go back to that.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At least they use to call the footy. Dwayne Russell, really?? F ck me drunk surely they can just get rid of the most useless, Russell, Darcy, Ling and BT and it becomes 200 times better. Make them earn money on televised celebrity boxing so we can see them all getting punched in the face.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
This has frustrated me for years, especially given it's such a simple fix. Twiddle a knob, adjust the levels, and get some ******* crowd noise coming through.

Ch9 do this very well with rugby league. It doesnt matter how small the crowd is, the broadcast will convey a pretty decent atmosphere.
You do know that ch.9 use canned crowd noise for their rugby league telecasts ? Bloody embarrassing.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Roos was actually incredible yesterday with his "I'm calmer than you are" routine as Carlton mounted their comeback.

You're commentating the game not trying to remain composed in the Melbourne coaches box, show a bit of excitement and feel for the game you flog.

Roos is the most overrated person I've ever seen in football, the bloke is a complete myth and genuinely clueless. I pray Carlton don't bring him over in any sort of coaching capacity in 2020.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sydney have the worst free for and against differential of any team by approximately 200 frees since 2005, so you are wrong on the umpires. Sydney are the only team in the league to have made an operating profit every year for the last 8 years, so you are wrong about the money. Sydney were restricted from trading when the AFL acknowledged they did nothing wrong, so you are wrong about the AFL being on their side. Any other factually incorrect claims you'd like to throw out there while getting your knickers in a twist? Here's a fact, your club that should have been wiped out of the league because of their blatantly illegal and dangerous drug taking regime only managed to beat the youngest side on the field this round with umpiring assistance. Must hurt.
I’m hurting alright, missed out on a 10% pay rise at work to a guy who knows statistics better than me.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Roos was actually incredible yesterday with his "I'm calmer than you are" routine as Carlton mounted their comeback.

You're commentating the game not trying to remain composed in the Melbourne coaches box, show a bit of excitement and feel for the game you flog.

Roos is the most overrated person I've ever seen in football, the bloke is a complete myth and genuinely clueless. I pray Carlton don't bring him over in any sort of coaching capacity in 2020.

He reminds me of Bob Willis commentating the cricket - puts you to sleep faster than a Coldplay record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I was in Berlin a couple weeks ago and found a pub that had the Adelaide v Richmond game on at 11am local time. It was a sports bar with lots of TVs, so the TV with AFL on didn't have sound. No probs, infact I was glad. The bar had house music playing and that was better to listen to

But then just after the game started two middle aged Australian women turned up and got them to turn the footy sound up. WTF? Why on earth would someone do that?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Luke Darcy is by far the worst of the lot.
Horrible caller. The amount of times he mentions "Duck" is fascinating. Some kind of obsession he has going on there.

Eddie McGuire is a close 2nd.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
The broadcasting of our game has truly never been in worse shape. I've griped about this before, but I'm going again...

Worse still, it's so saturated with the same names flipping between their radio and TV commitments with a sickening amount of back patting, inane banter and in-house rubbish.

How Luke Darcy gets to call games I'll never know. Dwayne Russel is biased and literally on repeat with the names and teams changed. "Nepotism" Hamish gives me syphilis just looking at the slimy bastard. Daisy Pearce is about as insightful as a rock and is probably joined in this category by most of the other shoe-horned in women or boring ex-players who somehow, SOMEHOW not only get a gig but manage to keep them.

We desperately need more Sarah Jones, Eddie McGuire (some will disagree), Gerard Whately, Clinton Grybas, Dennis Cometti types, but instead we get the boys club and people who are either there to fill a quota or are gifted a job for no obvious reason.

One thing the EPL (and English Soccer) generally do well is their commentary and letting the game speak for itself when required, including crowd noises. If nothing can be added to improve the telecast, why add it? What we get is a group of essentially idiotic, muppets who seem hell bent on scrambling to get their air time minutes to a certain level and enjoy the smell of each others farts.

Bring back some Legends

Peter Landy
Ian "Robbo" Robertson
Terry Wheeler
Blighty

Also:
Chris Johnson is great on NIRS radio - give him a crack

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
For a professional sport, the standard of commentary is so amateur. It gets worse week by week.

I find myself muting it now. It is not only constantly getting players names wrong; it is the blatant bias, lack of insight, nil research and constant stating of the obvious.

My four-year-old daughter can provide more analysis than those over-paid ******s.
Lack of insight, no research and no analysis. They just want to find the story out of the match.

Laziness like that invites those gambling companies to fill that void with their pre game odds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Good post actually. I've been thinking the same thing more each week and the last two weeks especially, have literally muted the volume when Hudson and Dwayne have been commentating.

Way, way, way over the top. Panicky commentating and annoying as *.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
On the radio every now and then you'll hear someone in the crowd yelling out about campaigners and bald-headed flogs, so probably Channel 7 in all it's sanitary goodness can't allow that and the crowd noise is very muted and filtered so you can't actually hear anyone.

Makes me sick the crap the commentators go on with and that they usually actively barrack for whichever Vic team the Eagles are playing and sook it up when it doesn't go their way.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
On the radio every now and then you'll hear someone in the crowd yelling out about campaigners and bald-headed flogs, so probably Channel 7 in all it's sanitary goodness can't allow that and the crowd noise is very muted and filtered so you can't actually hear anyone.

Makes me sick the crap the commentators go on with and that they usually actively barrack for whichever Vic team the Eagles are playing and sook it up when it doesn't go their way.
Have to agree. Hudson, Darcy, Russell and even Brayshaw are a bunch of pro >insert team(s) name here pricks

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Dwayne blocked me on twitter for sending him all the "HALF" he said during games

The one that got me blocked was a 7-8 tweet thread
"Half held"
>
"Half a kick away"
>
"Half smothered"
etc

Surely you can add to your vocabulary slightly rather than being such an insufferable tw@t

Brendan Speed - best caller in the country right now. Bruce, BT, Dwayne, Dermie, Roos all need to be tapped on the shoulder. Edit: How did I forget the worst of all, Lingy. Please go away, Cameron.
Dwayne must have half a brain.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some of them (Dermie, Alastair Lynch) actually over-do the analysis.
Dermie LOL. All he does is string 150+ words together at a time to describe something normal people use 4 words for. He waffles on and on and on and on and on then by the time he's finished the game has changed narrative.

He's the definition of what an idiot thinks a smart person sounds like

Remove this Banner Ad

Back