Inept broadcasting is hurting the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne is one of the best cricketers ever, tubby was a great captain; I’d much rather hear their opinions on the game than Lisa Sthalekar, Jason Richardson, Alison Mitchell, dirk nanness, Trent copeland, brad hodge etc
For such a successful captain and smart guy, Taylor had very little of interest or substance to say at all.
Just my opinion.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I don’t really know what you’re on about.

The radio produces a very good audio product. The crowd is loud enough, and brings the atmosphere through the broadcast.

That can, of course, be replicated on TV. It’s an AUDIO-visual medium. But it’s not. Instead it sounds like they’re in a soundproof box with zero noise coming in.
How will we hear which player is going out with someone else's sister or BTs zingers if they crowd is roaring maniacally?

The tv execs have no idea, they push their "personalities" over the product because the personalities are the real stars in their eyes and their main assets. The sooner we can select an audio stream from a radio broadcast to sync with the tv broadcast the better.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The lack of professionalism of the TV commentators always surprises me. I get that they need their gimmicks to stand out, but a lot seem to avoid doing any sort of actual analysis of what's happening on the field and instead just relay what I've just seen with my own eyes. "Good mark there" is not doing your job FFS, telling me how the forward used their body or whatever to get into a good position is actually helpful.
Apparently viewers don't want that because we're not smart enough to understand detailed breakdowns of game plans, strategy etc Much easier to try and be funny or talk about off field gossip/banter. That's what they always bring it back to, I assume as they are trying to lure in female viewers who they apparently think are as dumb as dogshit and don't actually understand the game.

I would legit pay extra in my subscription if they brought back just the crowd noise option.
Those five minutes early in the GWS vs Lions game where the commentary was off and all you could hear was the crowd and the umpires, was bliss.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Whoever is controlling the cameras is s**t at their job lately. Every bloody game now they choose the wrong camera that isnt even on the ball. And what the hell is up with replays being full screen and live action being in the corner? Should always be the other way around.

As for commentators, the sooner they stop inviting boys club ex players to do it without proper training andexperience the better. Should be made to do their time on state league calls.
Yep too many closeups when you want to see what's happening away from the contest, makes it tough to watch.

Also why can they show super slomo of sweat dripping from a players brow but when it comes to goal reviews it's the blur of a ball and a hand moving, impossible to tell if there is any contact. Not really 7s fault because the AFL should be investing in the infrastructure or at least doing it in conjunction with the broadcasters.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Fox and Channel 7 paid 2.5 billion for the rights. Why isn't that money being invested into technology to make broadcasting the game a better experience?

Where's that money going?
Eh? That money's already gone, to the AFL, and from there to clubs, players, grassroots, executive bonuses, expansion black holes, etc.

The broadcasters can only try to recoup that investment, and they do so by trying to appeal to people who don't like football via the s**t-circus that is modern footy coverage because they assume everyone who does like it already watches it.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Eh? That money's already gone, to the AFL, and from there to clubs, players, grassroots, executive bonuses, expansion black holes, etc.

The broadcasters can only try to recoup that investment, and they do so by trying to appeal to people who don't like football via the s**t-circus that is modern footy coverage because they assume everyone who does like it already watches it.
And evidently, none of it has been invested into better cameras at AFL venues to improve the Score Review system.

If we argue that the broadcasters should be making the investments, then you get situations where one game is different to another due to the technology used. Needs to be something the AFL invest.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
And evidently, none of it has been invested into better cameras at AFL venues to improve the Score Review system.

If we argue that the broadcasters should be making the investments, then you get situations where one game is different to another due to the technology used. Needs to be something the AFL invest.
Ah, I get you now. The AFL don't give a s**t. So long as the broadcast money flows in they figure job done.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Ah, I get you now. The AFL don't give a s**t. So long as the broadcast money flows in they figure job done.

Totally.

But I wonder if not having any standards is costly in the longer run.

Broadcasting should bring the excitement of the game to those not able to be there.

It’s exciting being at an AFL game. Back your product in to sell itself by reproducing it as best as possible in the lounge rooms of newbies.

Push the atmosphere out there. Live sport is drama and atmosphere, that’s the appeal.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Totally.

But I wonder if not having any standards is costly in the longer run.

Broadcasting should bring the excitement of the game to those not able to be there.

It’s exciting being at an AFL game. Back your product in to sell itself by reproducing it as best as possible in the lounge rooms of newbies.

Push the atmosphere out there. Live sport is drama and atmosphere, that’s the appeal.

Nup, channel 7 treats it more like a reality show. Who will win? Who does the audience relate to? Who will get voted off (sacked)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saints_333

Senior List
Feb 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've noticed this quite a few times... you'll be at a close game where the atmosphere is absolutely manic... then you watch it on TV and it's like watching an televised funeral.

Just got it again today, but wasn't at the ground. I was in the car toward the end of the Carlton v Melbourne, and listening to SEN the atmosphere was electric. They has KB (normally don't really like him) and Maher (Carlton shill) commentating, but it didn't matter... the crowd noise coming through the radio broadcast gave you a fantastic feel of being at the game and the genuine atmosphere.

Anyway I got home in time to flick the last couple of minutes on the TV and wow... it was like nap time at the local preschool. Absolute silence, zero crowd effects, same old boring sterile "analysis" from the special comments bozos. There's less than a kick in it with a minute to go and you might as well be watching golf. You hear nothing else except the umpire.

We have plenty of complaints about commentary etc and I'm sure it's primarily because the broadcasters don't care: they have zero want or need to improve it because they're not in a battle for ratings - they just have to bid the highest for the rights and then viewers are stuck with them. It's not like you can flick and watch on another channel.

I'd never think the AFL would look at anything beyond money, but surely this complete inability of the broadcasters to bring the atmosphere to lounge rooms is damaging to the game? People are introduced to it through TV... surely communicating the excitement and atmosphere that the game produces is critical to selling it to people?

Isn't it broadcasting 101? Bring the experience to people at home? How hard is it to turn up the effects mics and make it a bit exciting FFS?

It's a bit of a hard one this debate to say what is right and what is wrong. I completely agree there is a huge difference between being at the game atmosphere wise and tv and, sometimes on tv it doesn't sound anywhere near as exciting but on the other hand there are times in the game when it is actually dull and boring and the commentators are just highlighting this factor even though if you were at the game you may not notice this as much.

I completely agree with Roos and how bad a commentator he is. It's not because of how little he knows about the game but he puts absolutely no effort into his commentating and sounds like he is only there because he has to be.

It is also correct that there are too many people commentating a game at the one time. Sometimes in Soccer in the UK you get 1 or 2 at best. Why in the world do we need about 6 of them?

Half of the time they also get the players mixed up and talk non stop about the losing team trying to get back even if they're about 5 goals down.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sick of them popping up s**t little replay boxes during live play and losing the ball behind it. Normally for some stupid reason like a player reaction or a missed free kick or some such rubbish.

Get rid of the box unless it's really important. Don't need to see an injured player get into an ambulance during live play. Just show it later, has no effect on the game and ruins the coverage.

Johnny Plummer

Draftee
Jul 7, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
why does Dwayne Russell often refer to the count-up time clock when we can all see the count-down clock?
He once even said "there can't be much time left".

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Warne is one of the best cricketers ever, tubby was a great captain; I’d much rather hear their opinions on the game than Lisa Sthalekar, Jason Richardson, Alison Mitchell, dirk nanness, Trent copeland, brad hodge etc

Warnie is absolutely brilliant and insightful. I literally shut up and stop whataver I'm doing when he speaks because he offers some genuine insight and interest. To a similar and lesser degree I think Michael Clarke and Michael Hussey do the same. I didn't know who he was, but must say I enjoyed some of Trent Copeland's work. Jimmy Bartel is a bit similar in the footy, think he does a good job.

Lisa Sthaleker is so boring and 'captain obvious' it kills me to listen to her. Absolutely kills me. A classic example of filling quotas (she actually covers two) over putting the right person in the job. Alison Mitchell is painful too. Give me 5 x more of Isa Guha instead of those two quota fillers. She is articulate, knowledgeable and a pleasure to listen to.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sick of them popping up s**t little replay boxes during live play and losing the ball behind it. Normally for some stupid reason like a player reaction or a missed free kick or some such rubbish.

Get rid of the box unless it's really important. Don't need to see an injured player get into an ambulance during live play. Just show it later, has no effect on the game and ruins the coverage.
Be thankful we have the picture-in-picture box. For years they would show the same full screen replays and ignore live play. It went it went on for years and it was frustrating as hell.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is the biggest blight on the game at the moment - seems the bigger idiot or company man that you are the more air time you get .
There are 3 good commentators on TV and none of them are ex players or the ever so sickly Bruuuuuuce McAvaney .
* Nick Riewoldt is good value

Last edited:

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
why does Dwayne Russell often refer to the count-up time clock when we can all see the count-down clock?
He once even said "there can't be much time left".
Understand what you're saying, but technically the official time keeping still "counts up" so to speak.
It's just the broadcasters put the countdown clock on the image for viewers at home and it's only really a recent thing over the last 10 years or so.
Normally at the grounds, the clock on the scoreboards still count up (for example I know it still counts up at Optus stadium)

May 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
29,327 posts
Nothing worse than that dweeb Anthony Hudson putting on his fake excited commentary voice at the end of the game after sounding as dull as a Czech dinner for 99% of a game. And he is probably ranked #2 commentator in the game. It’s a terrible situation we must endure as AFL fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back