Analysis Inequality in our Port Fixturing

Greggy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there a reason why we consistently play Port in Adelaide? Since 2017 we’ve played them 6 times including last year’s Preliminary Final, and 5 have been in Adelaide and 1 in Victoria.

If we go back even further to the 2014 Elimination final, since then there has been 10 games, 8 at the Adelaide Oval and 2 at the MCG.

And here’s the complete picture of where we’ve played since they entered the AFL.

Tasmania 1
Victoria 10
Adelaide 24

For comparison vs Crows.

Victoria 18
Adelaide 21

WTF is with this unbalanced fixture vs Port?

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
This was raised on the Talking Tigers podcast on Tuesday, and I knew about the inequality, but I was staggered to hear the statistics.

It just goes to show that those Port campaigners rely on us to get big crowds at their home ground.

In effect, Port wouldn’t be able to exist without the leg-up in the fixturing of matches against the Tigers. They need us in order to be a viable entity. As such, they are minnows. The use of Never Tear Us Apart before every home game, essentially, is a reference to never changing the fixtures.

There’s also something in the teal too. Yeah, s**t colour. That’s all.

Pooooort. Campaigners.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yeah this has been going on for a while and it’s fairly bizarre.

The only thing that makes me OK with this fixturing inequality is that the venue doesn’t really seem to impact the results too much. We can beat them away and they can beat us in Melbourne. I prefer to play them away if that means we play Adelaide or West Coast at home because the venue does make a difference with those teams.

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
This was raised on the Talking Tigers podcast on Tuesday, and I knew about the inequality, but I was staggered to hear the statistics.

It just goes to show that those Port campaigners rely on us to get big crowds at their home ground.

In effect, Port wouldn’t be able to exist without the leg-up in the fixturing of matches against the Tigers. They need us in order to be a viable entity. As such, they are minnows. The use of Never Tear Us Apart before every home game, essentially, is a reference to never changing the fixtures.

There’s also something in the teal too. Yeah, sh*t colour. That’s all.

Pooooort. Campaigners.
This is the thing about Port, the "never tear us apart" "slogan" was to symbolise the "Port Power" & "Port Magpies" Clubs coming together as they were rival Clubs when the Power 1st came into the comp (Port Magpies had applied for the licence as well) & now they want to claim last yr they now have 150 yrs of history as a Club...

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the thing about Port, the "never tear us apart" "slogan" was to symbolise the "Port Power" & "Port Magpies" Clubs coming together as they were rival Clubs when the Power 1st came into the comp (Port Magpies had applied for the licence as well) & now they want to claim last yr they now have 150 yrs of history as a Club...
I was under the impression they (Port officials) saw Newcastle Jets doing it with their scarves and all before their A-League matches and just thought it was a good idea worth copying?

Back