Analysis Inexperience watch

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good pick up, for some reason I had his birth date listed as 17/01/1986 instead of 17/11/1986 in my spreadsheet (I had to manually re-enter the birth dates from the list data into the right format unfortunately so that mistake has been there since the start of the year. Oh well an extra 10 months is only worth 0.04 years extra on average for the team each time he was selected. So we were even younger than I thought!).
I may or may not have a spreadsheet too, but I find it a tad embarrassing to admit these things;)

stk_brl.png

Yay, I updated my database for the 2017 squads (updated the heights and weights too).

JLT1, vs Gold Coast:
gcs_brl.png

JLT2, vs Bulldogs
wbd_brl.png

(if you're curious, our player with low TOG is Jake Barrett, who was sub-affected in his only game for GWS)

For comparison's sake, our squad for JLT2 against last year's grand final sides:
gf.png

And finally, the squads for JLT3, against Adelaide:
ade_brl.png

(none of these graphs include preseason games)

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love these breakdowns, so belatedly (and with apologies to LOTR), here's the weekend just gone. I don't know what the thresholds were for bold, so I just bolded the ones where I thought there was a significant difference.

Round 2, 2017 - Lions vs. Bombers at the Gabba
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 1 vs. Bombers 1)
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 3 vs. Bombers 4
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 5 vs. Bombers 2
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 7 vs. Bombers 7
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 7 vs. Bombers 5
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. Bombers 4
Extra stats:
  • Average games played - Lions 74.2 vs. Bombers 101.1 (= -26.9 games on average)
  • Average age - Lions 24.0 vs. Bombers 25.2
  • Average height - Lions 188.7cm vs. Bombers 189.1cm
  • Average weight - Lions 88.0kg vs. Bombers 88.1kg

I love these breakdowns, so belatedly (and with apologies to LOTR), here's the weekend just gone. I don't know what the thresholds were for bold, so I just bolded the ones where I thought there was a significant difference.

Extra stats:
  • Average games played - Lions 74.2 vs. Bombers 101.1 (= -26.9 games on average)

Looking at that, I'd be confident if game averages were equal, we'd have won.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Extra stats:
I'm even more content with our performance over the weekend looking at that. It kind of goes to show why they were able to run over us in the last 10 or so minutes whilst we ran out of legs.

Extra stats:

I reckon that, until we hear from LOTR, you got a regular gig fanackapan. You wonderful, wonderful human being.

I now got a round tuit!
brl_ess.png

Some pretty stark differences there.

As a bonus, here's what last week's NEAFL game looked like. This only includes senior games, and I don't have heights, weights or DOBs for the U18 academy players (so that's why Sydney is missing three). The U19 academy players have them, though.
brl_syd.png

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
[Edited for updated team lists]

The elephant in the room is whether Riewoldt plays (even after selections were confirmed), which would significantly alter the games and age comparisons, although even if, for example, Sinclair were to play instead of Riewoldt, the Saints would still have 12 games on us (and more than half a year).

With Schache/McCluggage/Berry selected, we're going in significantly younger than last week. Very, very young (more than half of our side are 22 or younger!!)

Round 3, 2017 - Lions vs. Saints at Etihad
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 3 vs. Saints 0)
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 5 vs. Saints 3
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 5 vs. Saints 4
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 6 vs. Saints 8
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 6 vs. Saints 5
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. Saints 2
Extra stats:
  • Average games played - Lions 65.2 vs. Saints 92.1 (= -26.9 games on average)
  • Average age - Lions 23.2 vs. Saints 24.5
  • Average height - Lions 189.2cm vs. Saints 188.1cm
  • Average weight - Lions 87.6kg vs. Saints 88.0kg

Last edited:

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Updating those stats made me notice just how young and inexperienced we're going in this weekend.

There were only 3 games last year when we went in either this young or this inexperienced (2 of those were both) - vs GWS, vs Port and vs Adelaide.

We lost those by a combined 311 points.

Updating those stats made me notice just how young and inexperienced we're going in this weekend.

There were only 3 games last year when we went in either this young or this inexperienced (2 of those were both) - vs GWS, vs Port and vs Adelaide.

This is a dilly of a pickle..

870685.jpg

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

very confident we wont be losing this by anywhere near 100 points, we are made of sterner stuff with Fagan and the new and improved coaching panel on board.

will be interesting to see how we go in comparison to how we went with Justin "we are a young list" Leppitsch with a team of similar age, even at this early stage of the season i don't think there would be anyone who would now say we made the wrong decision sacking Leppa.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
very confident we wont be losing this by anywhere near 100 points, we are made of sterner stuff with Fagan and the new and improved coaching panel on board.

will be interesting to see how we go in comparison to how we went with Justin "we are a young list" Leppitsch with a team of similar age, even at this early stage of the season i don't think there would be anyone who would now say we made the wrong decision sacking Leppa.
Still in the golden period for new coaching, dunnoy how long it will last.
Any1 know what the results were in Leppa first few games?

Still in the golden period for new coaching, dunnoy how long it will last.
Any1 know what the results were in Leppa first few games?

First win was round 6. Barely scored/got thrashed for most of the first 5.

Back