Premium Platinum
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Hall of Fame The Fred Medal RIP
Nov 17, 2000
Echuca
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Roys FFC
He is playing for the Echuca Bombers now. How good was he at the Roos?

SENF.U.C.K.E.NSATIONAL. The Doc was and still is a awesome bloke and a great player.

Who will for get his last game and the bags of goals he kicked in his great career with the Rooboys. Craig "Doctor - Doc for short" Sholl I stand an salute you.

Go the Skull !!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC..

The Doc is one of North's favourite sons. 235 games, played in 2 of our premiership sides and winner of one B&F.
He started as a handy defender and then moved up forward later in his career.
Sholly was really great around the club, hugely popular with the players & particularly great mates with Wayne Carey.
If his send off in his last game for us last year after he kicked 7 goals wasn't enough of a tear jerker, you should have heard his retirement speach at the Syd Barker Best & Fairest Dinner last year.
We love him & hope he continues to play great footy because I'm sure he'll give his heart & soul to which ever team he plays in until he hangs up his boots.

I don't look back on articles from our losing grand final year too often but this one is a great tribute to Sholly.

Best can erase worst for Sholl
By Mike Stevens

Saturday, September 26, 1998

CRAIG Sholl will take a wonderful homespun philosophy into today's Grand Final, which will also be his 200th game.

The North Melbourne spare-parts man said he hopes to 'erase' the 1998 season, a season he frankly admits has not been one of his best.

When it was suggested to him that his season had not been as good as last year, the 30-year-old veteran didn't flinch.

'Very fair,' he said. 'It's been a pretty ordinary year compared to the standard I like to have, anyway.

'It's just a matter now of getting a couple of kicks in the finals, in which my form has lifted a little lately.

'Hopefully, I can pick this week to erase the bad year for myself.' While Sholl's comments are straight out of the Denis Pagan school of non-confrontational responses, they also reflect Sholl's self-effacing nature.

A country boy from Manangatang who was recruited to Arden St at 17, Sholl has been a permanent fixture in the North line-up since the late 1980s. A strong mark and long, accurate kick, his position in the team has probably suffered more than most because of the Roos' new forward structure, which centres around Wayne Carey being left alone in the 50m arc.

But again, when pressed on this issue, and whether he has had to adjust his style of play to accommodate 'Pagan's Paddock', Sholl was non-committal.

'I haven't altered my play at all, it's just that our forward line has been playing so well it's just hard to get a kick down there,' he said.

What about not having taken as many marks as last year (122 compared with Corey McKernan's 134)? 'That's true, too,' he said. 'It's been one of those years where things haven't gone my way. Hopefully, it all goes my way this week, and I can erase all that.' Even the fact that it is Sholl's 200th game today, a milestone in any player's career, has been subjugated for the sake of the team.

Sholl said he would probably lead the players out and break the banner first, but there was no sense of anticipation of a big day.

'I'm looking forward to running out there,' he said.

'You don't look at the milestone when you're in a Grand Final, you just look at winning the game and that's all I'll be worrying about.

'It's just a bonus that 200 comes on that day.' North and Adelaide have played two very close matches this season, which suggests today's match is finally going to produce a tight, nail-biting affair.

But getting Sholl to shed any light on the Roos' attitude and preparation in comparison to their 1996 triumph drew another measured, prepared response.

'Adelaide . . . they're just so hard at the ball. They play a very similar game to what we do,' he said. 'We had two very close games. Both contests, they played very well and we played all right.

'We can't praise Adelaide highly enough, they hit the ball just as hard as we do, so we'll have to be ready for that.' But is your preparation any different? 'Adelaide is in the same situation, they've been through it,' he offered.

'We stick to the things we know are right, so we've stuck to the same routine. We know it's right.' With two years of a contract to run, Sholl, who turns 31 in December, said he was content to finish his career at Arden St.

A pottery import business he operates in partnership with the retired Darren Crocker, occupies his time away from the game.

So does he still have any goals? 'There are still plenty of things you can achieve, just as a team,' he said.

'I'm getting older. If you play 200 games it means you're getting on a bit, so you just try to do every little thing for the team.

'That's my aim, to do all the little things and hopefully we can come out with another one (premiership).'

...and another one...

Country still in Mallee boys
By Scott Gullan

Saturday, May 09, 1998

ONCE a week the brothers Sholl get together for a bit of lunch and a talk about life in the big-time. For two true-blue country boys from the backblocks of Manangatang it has been a colorful journey for Craig and Brad.

They still see footy like it was back in the good old days. On the field they're all business, off it they'll be the first ones in the bar afterwards to have a beer with the boys.

While the brothers are close, they are like chalk and cheese. Older brother Craig, 30, has had a charmed run through his football career. The quieter of the two, the North Melbourne forward has played in a premiership and virtually cruised through his career with the magical 200-game mark on the horizon.

Brad, 25, is now only finally getting his rewards. After starring as a junior he was confronted with horrendous injury problems at North before being traded to Geelong and given a second chance. He hasn't looked back and has become the cornerstone of the Cats' running defence.

This week the Sholls had a fair bit to talk about after the younger brother's cartwheel had set tongues wagging.

Gullan: Everyone tells me Craig is the quieter of the two. Is that true? Craig: Very accurate. I'm a lot quieter than Brad.

Brad: I was waiting for that. I suppose that's fair. Maybe he got out of Horsham at an earlier age. I didn't and things had changed a bit.

What's the major difference between the two of you? C: Brad shows his emotions a little bit more.

B: I'm probably a lot more outgoing whereas he sort of sits back and doesn't say much. I'm a bit louder and that's probably all it is . . . loudness. That covers a lot of areas, I suppose.

Best and worst assets? C: His worst asset is his temper. He's got a shocking temper. His best . . . he's pretty relaxed and takes everything as it comes.

B: I suppose his ability to control his temper whereas I'm the other way, I let it all out. His worst asset is he always says it's your shout. It always seems to be your turn to buy lunch. The North guys will tell you that, too.

Now, Craig, I understand you were responsible for some of your younger brother's wilder ways back on the farm at Manangatang. He was a bunny for some of your stunts? C: We used Brad for a few things. When we were little we had motorbikes and we used to tie him to the back of the bikes in this old pram. We'd put a helmet on him and just tell him to hang on.

B: Yeah, we'd be going flat out, probably about 60 kmh, and I'd just try and hang on, ride the bumps out.

C: We certainly left him on the footpath a few times, don't you worry about that.

What's the best one you pulled on him? C: We set him up really good this time. He had this big mountain bike, I don't know whether you can remember them, but they were really heavy. We set up this jump across a channel. He was supposed to jump over it and land on the ramp on the other side, like Evel Knievel did on the telly. There was no way he was ever going to make it with that bike, but we sent him back a fair way and he hit this jump going flat out. He didn't make it to the other side, hit the bank of the channel and busted his collarbone. We knew we'd get in trouble so we left him lying there. The biggest one was when we went swimming in one of the big water tanks. It used to get pretty hot in Manangatang in summer and we'd climb up the top of these tanks and have a swim. One day we've pushed him out and he fell probably 20m and hit his mouth on the tap, smashing all his teeth and ending up in Mildura Hospital for about two weeks.

B: I had a couple of operations there. I've sort of had nine lives, really.

Did you realise you were getting picked on or did you have to do this stuff to be able to muck around with them? B: I was just willing to have a go at anything. I'm glad I did now because it makes you a stronger person, I think.

Did you ever get Craig back any good ones? B: I remember one time we came home from a function on a Sunday morning. I was spewing over something and he was on the trampoline. I think he was hanging s..t on me so I threw a pair of secateurs at him. The trampoline was Olympic size and the secateurs split it right up the guts. I was in trouble there for a while. We've had a lot of blues and stuff, but we've always come back and been friends.

Brad, I'm told your parents were awarded gold medals on your 21st birthday because no one thought you'd make it.

B: Yes I remember that.

Do you know how many bones you've broken? B: Well, I've cracked my head open a few times, I've had four operations on my shoulders, a knee reconstruction. One time in Horsham they drained the Wimmera River to clean it up and we were mucking around down there on a swing rope. You weren't suppose to be out there, but I swung out and came back and hit one of the branches poking out from the bank and pinched the nerve in my back.

Any others? B: The mouth, of course. I've injured my calf a few times, been hit by a car and had a couple of motorbike accidents. One day a mate and I were on the motorbike track at the same time. He went up the right side of the jump and I came from the wrong side and we smacked into each other. We both broke our legs in the same spot. Another kid had to ride back in to town to get an ambulance. We made up a splint and just lay there. Mum and Dad saw the ambulance go past our place and said straight away, 'That will be for Brad'.

You're the complete opposite, aren't you Craig? C: Tap on wood. I've been a little bit luckier, or smarter, maybe.

Cricket was more your go early on? C: I used to love cricket. When I was young I was very small, but then I grew so quick that my bones grew too much for my muscles. Footy was too much running and stuff so I never really concentrated on it that much. Then all of a sudden I was playing in the reserves up at Horsham one day and Greg Miller (North Melbourne recruiting officer) came up to me and asked if I wanted to come down to North the following year. I was only 17 and had played only one senior game.

Brad, you were into footy earlier, playing Teal Cup? B: We moved to Horsham and it was obviously a bigger competition, which probably had something to do with it. But instead of cricket I played tennis because I'm one of those people that, if I'm playing sport, needs to be running around doing something instead of standing in the field.

Why didn't you make the grade at North? B: I probably missed up to 12 months of footy at North just through injuries. I stuck with it and ended up playing 64 reserve games (two senior games) in five years.

What was it like to play for the same club? C: It was funny because we had a cousin, Brett, playing there too. It was frustrating for Brad because of all the injuries. I think a lot of people thought in the end that he would never play league footy, but the problem was he could never do a pre-season because he was always having operations straight after the season finished. It was just a bit of bad luck.

You were traded to Geelong for Robert Scott. Why has everything clicked at Kardinia Park? B: Hard work basically. Pre-seasons have been a big thing for me. I mean, once you get a sniff of it, why not? Have you ever played on each other? B: One day I filled in for the Jeparit reserves. We were both playing for Horsham, but they were short, so I played for them and lined up on Craig. He took this big hanger on me and kicked a goal.

C: I also got him a good one last year when I tackled him and threw him to the ground and gave a free kick away. Denis (Pagan) had a bit of a go, saying we were trying to show who was the toughest of the brothers.

B: Yeah, you got me a good one that day, knocked the s..t out of me.

Nicknames? C: Brad is known as 'Nails' at North. Denis (Pagan) went mad at him one day in the under-19s because he thought he was nailed to the one spot.

B: His has always been 'Doctor'.

Do you talk regularly about footy? C: We're always talking footy. Obviously not before a game against each other, but when you're down it's good to have someone in league footy that you can talk to. When your form is down you get told so many things and it's just good to ring someone that you know has got a genuine care for you.

You would have been ringing a bit at the start of the year with Brad getting that four-week holiday courtesy of the tribunal? C: He was a bit lost there for a while, but now he's got himself going again.

Brad, are you a case of white-line fever? B: I get white-line fever, I must admit that. But I'm not the same player I was or could have been because I've had to change the way I play because of my shoulders. Tackling is a big part of that. I wish I could improve that but it is just the way it has to be. My shoulder gets to a certain point where I've got to pull up because I know it's going to go again.

They say you play hard on and off the field, Brad, with a few nightclub incidents in the past. Do you still get on the grog during the season? B: Yes.

How much? B: I'll have a couple after a game. Nothing silly. To be honest, who is to say they're going to play the same footy if you change that sort of thing. A lot of blokes do it (give up the grog) and it does work, but I've tried all that sort of stuff and, nah, it's not for me. You play to make friendships and win a premiership. He's (Craig) done that and that's my main aim. But why change everyday living. I've quietened down a lot with the drinking and stuff. I mean, you can't do what you used to be able to do. You probably have one night, say Saturday night, on the turps, and that's it. The rest is full-on footy. That's another thing, I probably took it all for granted at North Melbourne. But you're only young once and when you hit the big city and bright lights, well, you know what it's like.

What's the Brad Sholl philosophy on life? B: The reason I first started playing footy was because you meet people, you get mates out of it. And also you like getting the red cherry. It's the same thing out here (AFL). I like to get as much of it as I can and at the end of the day if we have a win and a bit of fun, all the better. Now take me through that cartwheel? Brad: Well, Ayresy (coach Gary Ayres) had been speaking for a couple of weeks about showing some passion and spirit after kicking a goal because we hadn't been doing that in the first four weeks. He said, 'Gee, I'd love someone to do a cartwheel or something'.

I get emotional when I kick goals anyway so I just thought bugger it, so I did one. The boys took it pretty well. It wasn't there to hurt, offend or humiliate a Hawthorn opponent or Hawthorn, it was just a planned thing.

But wasn't it in the third quarter with the game still in the balance? B: I was a bit worried about that. I thought I hope I've done it at the right time or I'm going to look like an idiot if they come back and end up beating us.

Craig, did your eyes pop out of your head or does nothing surprise you about what your brother is capable of? C: I was sitting at home on Saturday night when I saw it and all the North boys rang me and were asking what the hell was going on down there. I knew it was a planned thing.

Would you ever do one? C: It's funny, because a lot of the blokes said I've got to come out now and better that. We've had trampolines all our life so we can do a few little tricks like that, but I don't think Denis (Pagan) would like it.' Brad, do you reckon he's capable of doing one? B: He'd be capable of doing one but that's probably the difference between me and him, I'd do it whereas he wouldn't.

Can we look forward to a repeat? B: I won't be doing that again.

Thank you all for the info - very enlightening. He still plays a very good game and is a real general on the field.

Jesus, and I thought I was rough on my little brother
...and another one...

Country still in Mallee boys
By Scott Gullan

Saturday, May 09, 1998

Now, Craig, I understand you were responsible for some of your younger brother's wilder ways back on the farm at Manangatang. He was a bunny for some of your stunts? C: We used Brad for a few things. When we were little we had motorbikes and we used to tie him to the back of the bikes in this old pram. We'd put a helmet on him and just tell him to hang on.

B: Yeah, we'd be going flat out, probably about 60 kmh, and I'd just try and hang on, ride the bumps out.

C: We certainly left him on the footpath a few times, don't you worry about that.

What's the best one you pulled on him? C: We set him up really good this time. He had this big mountain bike, I don't know whether you can remember them, but they were really heavy. We set up this jump across a channel. He was supposed to jump over it and land on the ramp on the other side, like Evel Knievel did on the telly. There was no way he was ever going to make it with that bike, but we sent him back a fair way and he hit this jump going flat out. He didn't make it to the other side, hit the bank of the channel and busted his collarbone. We knew we'd get in trouble so we left him lying there. The biggest one was when we went swimming in one of the big water tanks. It used to get pretty hot in Manangatang in summer and we'd climb up the top of these tanks and have a swim. One day we've pushed him out and he fell probably 20m and hit his mouth on the tap, smashing all his teeth and ending up in Mildura Hospital for about two weeks.

Stayed in his caravan park in Bright over the Australia Day weekend. Absolutely ripping bloke, help set up our tents and everything, despite owning the joint!

Didn't get a chance to get anything signed because he had to leave Bright for a few days, but we managed to get some pictures sent up, which he happily signed. I'll post pics when I get the chance. :)

Stayed in his caravan park in Bright over the Australia Day weekend. Absolutely ripping bloke, help set up our tents and everything, despite owning the joint!

Didn't get a chance to get anything signed because he had to leave Bright for a few days, but we managed to get some pictures sent up, which he happily signed. I'll post pics when I get the chance. :)

I met Craig back in the 90's, when I worked with his mother in law. A genuine down to earth good bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back