injured cat is saved thanks to all involved

Remove this Banner Ad

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi all thought I'd reach out to my fellow pies fans ask if anyone knows about cats I've an old cat that was left at a property I purchased on the Murray River anyway I've been looking after her for 3yrs grown very attached I've moved back to QLD staying at a mates place surrounded by jungle,cat had just had breakfast when I heard a strained moan a big python(9ft) had her wrapped up I got the snake off but the cat tore off into the bush Havnt seen her since and she won't respond to my calls ,she usually will,will she come back if she's still alive is there anything else I can do that might bring her back home cheers in advance

Hi all thought I'd reach out to my fellow pies fans ask if anyone knows about cats I've an old cat that was left at a property I purchased on the Murray River anyway I've been looking after her for 3yrs grown very attached I've moved back to QLD staying at a mates place surrounded by jungle,cat had just had breakfast when I heard a strained moan a big python(9ft) had her wrapped up I got the snake off but the cat tore off into the bush Havnt seen her since and she won't respond to my calls ,she usually will,will she come back if she's still alive is there anything else I can do that might bring her back home cheers in advance
I have no good advice but I just want to know if the cat came home :( thoughts are with you and your cat.

Sorry to hear that. There a a few cat lovers on here, think that Black_White is one and may have an idea.

Best thing to do would be to have a look around close to your house and ask neighbours if they've seen her. Was there blood after the snake attack? If the snake took a decent bite then the cat will probably need medical intervention soon to survive.

Best thing to do would be to have a look around close to your house and ask neighbours if they've seen her. Was there blood after the snake attack? If the snake took a decent bite then the cat will probably need medical intervention soon to survive.
Yea checked around the house but it's pretty hard going has a mountain that goes straight up . Snake had a heap of fur in its gob and some blood but not sure if that's from when I belted it

Cats are pretty resistant to snake bite.
Dogs normally go down hill very fast, but cats can hold out for medical attention for a couple of days.
I even know of one that recovered from a brown snake bite without medical intervention.
Having said that, if the cat wanted attention it would have come to you by now.
Unfortunately without a tracker you can only sit and wait.
Cats also are known to just walk away to somewhere they consider safe to die. You may never know.
Sorry, but I’ve got nothing more to offer.
Can you identify the python? Not many are venomous by this;
https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/livingwith/snakes/near-you/snakes_of_southeast_queensland.html
If it had a good hold there may be internal injuries.

Cats are pretty resistant to snake bite.
Dogs normally go down hill very fast, but cats can hold out for medical attention for a couple of days.
I even know of one that recovered from a brown snake bite without medical intervention.
Having said that, if the cat wanted attention it would have come to you by now.
Unfortunately without a tracker you can only sit and wait.
Cats also are known to just walk away to somewhere they consider safe to die. You may never know.
Sorry, but I’ve got nothing more to offer.
Can you identify the python? Not many are venomous by this;
https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/livingwith/snakes/near-you/snakes_of_southeast_queensland.html
If it had a good hold there may be internal injuries.
The snake wasn't poisoness but it did have a good hold on her and wasn't keen to let her go she lost a heap of fur which would indicate biting their mouths are pretty toxic think she's gone now

I wouldn’t give up just yet.
Doesn’t look to good, but cats are resilient and she may just be recovering from the shock.
Let’s hope.

I don't think this is credible. Any open wound especially from a bite needs medical intervention, especially living in the elements.

I don't think this is credible. Any open wound especially from a bite needs medical intervention, especially living in the elements.
Well I have a workmate who had a cat bitten by a brown snake.
So open wound and pumped full of the second most toxic snake venom in Australia.
The cat was sick, looked to be dying, so the guy didn’t intervene. No medical treatment.
The cat survived and lived another five years.
While it doesn’t sound credible, cats are remarkably resilient.

P.S. we have a cat who has been bitten twice by brown snakes, slow learner.
In both cases we did seek medical intervention, at over $1,800 per bite.
Cat is currently on my lap purring his heart out. As he should!

Well I have a workmate who had a cat bitten by a brown snake.
So open wound and pumped full of the second most toxic snake venom in Australia.
The cat was sick, looked to be dying, so the guy didn’t intervene. No medical treatment.
The cat survived and lived another five years.
While it doesn’t sound credible, cats are remarkably resilient.

P.S. we have a cat who has been bitten twice by brown snakes, slow learner.
In both cases we did seek medical intervention, at over $1,800 per bite.
Cat is currently on my lap purring his heart out. As he should!
In terms of blood loss and infection cats are just as vulnerable as any other creature despite anecdoctal evidence, definitely would advise people to take hurt cats to a vet.

In terms of blood loss and infection cats are just as vulnerable as any other creature despite anecdoctal evidence, definitely would advise people to take hurt cats to a vet.
Absolutely.
But this cat isn’t available to take to the vet.
All I am saying is that I wouldn’t give up hope yet.
Sure, it’s not looking great, but there is still hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's horrible joff. I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you had any news?

That's horrible joff. I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you had any news?
Actually I do mate just picked her up she came back after 5 nights in the bush she is in quite good health all things considered and has a few marks on her paws and few bumps and scrapes.I will get her checked out by a vet in the morning, she is very jittery/nervous but quite a remarkable survival story I think.Big thanks to all who gave advice and msgs of support,Poot Poot says thanks too,go pies

Pretty sure mods can update thread title to cat saved thanks to bigfooty if required thanks again all involved

Actually I do mate just picked her up she came back after 5 nights in the bush she is in quite good health all things considered and has a few marks on her paws and few bumps and scrapes.I will get her checked out by a vet in the morning, she is very jittery/nervous but quite a remarkable survival story I think.Big thanks to all who gave advice and msgs of support,Poot Poot says thanks too,go pies

That's awesome news joff........never give up they say. :thumbsu:

Pretty sure mods can update thread title to cat saved thanks to bigfooty if required thanks again all involved

You started the thread you can change it mate.

Yay Poot Poot. :thumbsu::)
I was wondering what happened.

HonestUnconsciousAss-small.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back