AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Got this from afc.com.au

Injured players progress report
matthew robran
9:41:08 AM Thu 30 January, 2003
With the opening bounce for season 2003 fast approaching, several players will be returning to the main training group after an absence due to injury, and will be looking to impress the coaching staff and push for selection. With the opening Wizard Cup round just around the corner all players will be pushing themselves to the limit on the training track to gain selection in the first match. Players returning from injury will be eager to get back into the thick of things, however it will be important to keep a close watch on their competitiveness to make sure they don’t re-injure themselves. Players returning from injury are:

Mark Bickley: After recovering from his broken leg and then a leg infection, Mark is well on the way to recovery. He is back into the running drills, doing agility work and is back handling the footies and he is aiming to join the main training group in 1-2 weeks. Although having a lengthy lay-off with his injury, Mark has been working tirelessly with Olympic Cycling Coach, Charlie Walsh, and his fitness levels are at an excellent level.

Scott Welsh: After missing much of the second half of season 2002 with the dreaded Osteitis Pubis, Scott’s groin problems finally seem to be disappearing. After re-injuring his groin in December 2002 he flew to Sydney and underwent the same operation as Michael Voss and the operation went very well. Scott is currently on a restricted running program and should join in full training in 2-3 weeks.

Daniel Schell: Another player to become a victim of a groin problem, Daniel has just returned from Sydney where he also had a groin operation (same as Scott Welsh). Daniel has just commenced his rehabilitation program, which involves swimming and walking and he should be set to resume in 6-8 weeks.

Kris Massie: A mild case of Chronic Fatigue delayed the start of Kris’ pre-season by a few weeks. He is slowly regaining all his energy and currently his training involves a restricted running program as well as skill work. At this stage the club has not set a time for Kris to re-join the main training group, however the medical staff are happy with his progress, and we should se him back in full flight, sooner rather than later.

James Begley: The St Kilda recruit’s pre-season has been slowed by a shoulder injury, however the positive side to the injury is that he has been able to complete all the running sessions, so his fitness level is very good. James is able to take part in all the training exercises, however he is still 2-3 weeks away from full competitive training.

Michael Bratton (Rookie): A shoulder reconstruction at the end of last season sees Michael in the same position as James Begley. Michael is able to complete the running and skill sessions so his fitness level is of no concern. He won’t be trust into competitive football until April.

Hayden Skipworth (Rookie): Hayden has returned to the track (albeit jogging) after sustaining a corked calf and should be back into full training in 2 weeks.

Good to see some positive signs. Interesting that Schell had OP as well:confused:

Is good to hear that Scott Welsh is on the road to recovery

If he was ready for Round 1 that would be great as he will be even mroe dangerous if Carey is in the forward line as well.

We can probably cover for all the others, with Bickley being the most important but looking like he shold be ok soon.

Now that Carey, Stevens and Burns are all back in mainstream training, that only leaves Welsh, Bickley , Massie and Begley of the main contenders for spots in the opening minor round 22 to do so.

Welsh and Bickley will be very close if not ready by then, so things are definitely looking up on this front. :)

Originally posted by Jars458
Is good to hear that Scott Welsh is on the road to recovery

If he was ready for Round 1 that would be great as he will be even mroe dangerous if Carey is in the forward line as well.

We can probably cover for all the others, with Bickley being the most important but looking like he shold be ok soon.
Yeah, Welshy back will be a huge bonus. He was fantastic in 2002 until he got injured. I just hope that he is over his OP as the damn injury always seems to linger.

With Bicks, I'm not too concerned if he has a late start to the year, as it is a long season for him to get through. Also, it gives another chance to one of our young midfielders to play some of the early games - perhaps Reilly could do a Dogga?!

DAMN!!

According to 10 news (or Carey Central whatever ya prefer) Mark Stevens suffered a knock at training today and will be out for two weeks. It's a back injury and it didn't look good. I didnt like the look of it - he might still be ready for Round 1 of the Wiz Cup, but we don't need our CHF to have a reoccuring back problem in 2003.

All the best Mark!

Carey Central also had pics of Carey in a Crows jumper for the first time. Expect to see it in tomorrow's Tiser.

Jerome

How longs Begley had the shoulder?
Why do I get the impression he wont make an impression?

I apologize for my ignorance but can anybody see him as a REGULAR in the side or will he be another fringe player like Nelson thats happy to be in his home state

Re: DAMN!!

Originally posted by Jerome
According to 10 news (or Carey Central whatever ya prefer) Mark Stevens suffered a knock at training today and will be out for two weeks. It's a back injury and it didn't look good. I didnt like the look of it - he might still be ready for Round 1 of the Wiz Cup, but we don't need our CHF to have a reoccuring back problem in 2003.

All the best Mark!
The concern about Stevens' incident was that there didn't appear to be much contact in it with Massie just giving a little shove ... unless I missed something. A fit Stevo is crucial to the Crows!

Originally posted by topjars

I apologize for my ignorance but can anybody see him as a REGULAR in the side or will he be another fringe player like Nelson thats happy to be in his home state
I have been thinking along the same lines TJ, but I hope I'm wrong.

Originally posted by topjars

Begley has had a history of shoulder injuries and I think has a had a recent operation to tighten them up.

When injury-free, he actually is a very good player TJ, and was spoken of by Malcolm Blight as a future captain of St Kilda. Injury or no injury will decide whether he is a fringe player or become a regular, because he does have tons of ability.

After finishing restricted training he was walking off with Daniel Schell, and it really took me by surprise how tall Begley is - he;s a lovely size for a wingman and has pace. If Schell is any taller than Begley, it is only by the thickness of a bees' diaphragm, not the 4 cms that the AFL site claims.

I think Begley is in a bit of a same boat as Fitzy was. Has talent to burn but questionalbe body. Begley has a history of shoulder problems but fit and firing he is a very good player. A utility type better suited as a HB flanker or a winger and can kick a goal. As macca23 pointed out he is a nice size and if he can stay injury free I expect him to take over from Nigel Smart when he retires;)

It all depends on how his body holds up:(

Originally posted by macca23
Begley has had a history of shoulder injuries and I think has a had a recent operation to tighten them up.

When injury-free, he actually is a very good player TJ, and was spoken of by Malcolm Blight as a future captain of St Kilda. Injury or no injury will decide whether he is a fringe player or become a regular, because he does have tons of ability.

After finishing restricted training he was walking off with Daniel Schell, and it really took me by surprise how tall Begley is - he;s a lovely size for a wingman and has pace. If Schell is any taller than Begley, it is only by the thickness of a bees' diaphragm, not the 4 cms that the AFL site claims.

OK
Thanks for that
Blightys opinion perhaps suggests some leadership ability - which is born not bred

Maybe its my suspicious nature in relation to homegrown youngsters returing to the state.

Originally posted by macca23
After finishing restricted training he was walking off with Daniel Schell, and it really took me by surprise how tall Begley is - he;s a lovely size for a wingman and has pace.
The Crows should be aiming to play tall wingmen where possible (ie. Burton, Stenglein, Massie & Begley), as I reckon it is a real advantage. eg. Take kickouts from full-back, we should be aiming for the Birdman most times ...

Excellent to see that our injury list has shortened, especially Welshy. I know macca mentioned in his training report that Scotty sounded a lot more confident, and I think that thats an extremely important thing there, b/c he wasn't having a lot of success with his OP before and I was fearing that he would lose hope. A positive mindset is so important in overcoming a chronic injury and now that he's got that, and with our top line medical staff to oversee his training and all, a 100% fit Scott Welsh roaming around our forward lines this season will be awesome for us.

Also good to see Bick's well on the way now back. I took a quick squiz at the Mail today and I think it said that he'sreal close to resuming full training. Solid strong form in his last year would be a great way for him to go out.

Not good to hear that Stevo is injured again. Hopefully things aren't too bad and he can get back into the swing of things soon. He's an important player and needed for us to perform well. Here's to a swift recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back