Injury Injuries 2013 : The state of No Play...

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2007
Out West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bears, Bulls, B'Hawks & Cubs
The saga continues on from 2011, 2012. Here's hoping for best year yet (none).

Thread will track our injury status as officially listed at fremantlefc.com.au. Discussion on training, replacements and expected recovery time frames. Posts on game incidents and injury prognosis.

Will update this first post each week during season for quick reference.

Current release :

20 August 2013

Garrick Ibbotson - Achilles - test
Josh Simpson - Shoulder - test
Hayden Ballantyne - Shoulder - test
Peter Faulks - Calf - test
Luke McPharlin - Calf - 1 weeks
Clancee Pearce - Calf - 1 weeks
Sam Menegola - Knee - 1-2 weeks
Max Duffy - Hamstring - 4 weeks
Viv Michie - Knee - season
Anthony Morabito - Knee - season
Tanner Smith - Shoulder - season
Jon Griffin - Knee - season
Kepler Bradley - Knee - season

It's embarrassing how little I know about LARS but what exactly are the main cons? Everything I've read so far makes me wonder the same thing as you, why even bother with conventional surgery anymore?
(ankles, knees, shoulders LARS in Australia) 2006 - 10 and by 2009 there were more than 700... it is being taken up rapidly one would think - yet the biggest con is that the US medical authorities have not approved it on primarily the fear that in 5-10 years the synthetic ligament will have adverse effects. So it looks like the if's and maybe's are the reason. So, traditional repair (tried and true) will appeal to the safer minded (parents looking after their kids). Not to mention the surgeons who do not know how to do a LARS...

A synthetic ligament can't heal itself. If it accumulates damage over time, it can't fix itself and will eventually pop when enough damage has accumulated. At least minor damage to a real ligament can heal itself if it's given time.

I'd suspect that's the main downside for it. It'll eventually pop and you'll need another reco.

A synthetic ligament can't heal itself. If it accumulates damage over time, it can't fix itself and will eventually pop when enough damage has accumulated. At least minor damage to a real ligament can heal itself if it's given time.

I'd suspect that's the main downside for it. It'll eventually pop and you'll need another reco.
But if it gets you through till you retire you would think it would last. Webster still has his yeah?

So is it likely that we will see all those that choose lars, will have post season ops to replace or repair any damage?

But if it gets you through till you retire you would think it would last. Webster still has his yeah?

A lifetime is a long time. But yeah, Webster still has his. And you'd expect they'd last a fair while if guys aren't playing sport. But even amateur sport or recreational sport could cause damage.

I suspect it's just that they don't know how long the things will last, as they haven't been around all that long.

So is it likely that we will see all those that choose lars, will have post season ops to replace or repair any damage?

I suspect they'd let it go until it pops. Wouldn't expect they'd want to have to undergo surgery every year (and accumulate more scar tissue I suspect) to replace the synthetic ligament.

The main problem with LARS from my understanding, is that the LARS procedure can't be done repeatedly. They can only drill through the bone so often until the bone starts to get damaged too much.

The LARS ligament is inserted through the damaged ligament and the damaged ligament repairs itself over the LARS ligament. You can't remove the synthetic ligament after the original one repairs itself.

One of the advantages of LARS is that they do not remove ligaments from the quad or hamstring like they do with a traditional reco.

As juicy as these vids and the LARS discussion is, can we keep the discussion in the thread more OP.
Discussion on training, replacements and expected recovery time frames. Posts on game incidents and injury prognosis.
We end up with an really long thread otherwise.
Maybe discuss LARS in morabito's injury thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting Stat I heard on the radio today about the teams in 2012 had on avg 7.4 players per week unavailable through injury and this had come down from 8.3 or so in 2011.

I suppose our club contributed to that higher average back then. My god that injury thread got a lot of traffic. Lets hope the thread in 2013 isn't used much...

Sandi was running at Freo oval yesterday morning so I would be surprised if he still had 5 weeks. Can you run with a hammy at 3/4 pace?

Sandi was running at Freo oval yesterday morning so I would be surprised if he still had 5 weeks. Can you run with a hammy at 3/4 pace?
I think Sandi will be back for round 3 against the Bombers, give him a rest and not send him to Tassie in round 4 and then back into it round 5 against Richmond.

depending on how griffin is going, and the history we have had with sandi being brought back too early i.e turf toe, i wouldnt be rushing. give him the time he needs

March 13 2013

Anthony Morabito - knee: TBC
Aaron Sandilands - hamstring: 4 weeks
Matt Taberner - glandular fever: test

Notes:
  • are you kidding me - 1 week from season we have only 3 on the list ! rejoice and pray.
  • Mora thread has the goods on his progress - steam rolling along and what a mature character he has become
  • Taberner given a test date from TBC
_

Remove this Banner Ad

Back