News Injuries 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS, Dale. Based on his history, we can assume he will probably be back for round 1, gritting his teeth but playing as if it hadn't happened.

Just got home. Didn’t stick around for any speeches, left straight after match sim. Got my Martin flanagan book, got my outsiders DVD, a bacon and egg roll (WITH CHEESE BECAUSE THATS THE WAY THE FOOD GODS INTENDED IT TO BE) and a hot choccy. Missed out on Bont socks.

Not a massive turnout today. Looked like they had a fair bit for the kids to do, the schedule they handed out compared to the info online and what actually happened was a fair bit off.

Went into today thinking we had no injuries. Turns out we have a partial ACL tear and 6-7 blokes with some sort of ailment that prevented them participating today and one possibly on paternity leave so that’s disappointing.

Really disappointed with the facial hair/hair do combo on Boyd. At least up until now we could say he looked like a million dollar man with that beautiful slicked back hair. Now.....oh boy.

Sorry I couldn’t provide more info today, players only had tiny numbers in the front of their jerseys. And no team line up sheets were handed out.

Disappointing for club and player but may as well get used to life without Morris, one of the greatest defenders pound for pound ,inch for inch I have ever seen.
This guy has coach written all over him.
He can now mentor Naughton and Cordy.

Just went on the WB website to see more about the Sue Alberti story. The lead item under Injury News is a story on Jake Stringer doing his hamstring in the PA Ballarat game last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is going on?

I partly torn my acl and the surgeon told me i could play in 10 weeks just had to keep strength in the knee and do some physiotherapy.But the other news was i could do all this and i could snap it first game back or play 100 more games and all will be fine,but its a gamble he told me.I was only 24 so he told me it get it fix asap.

I partly torn my acl and the surgeon told me i could play in 10 weeks just had to keep strength in the knee and do some physiotherapy.But the other news was i could do all this and i could snap it first game back or play 100 more games and all will be fine,but its a gamble he told me.I was only 24 so he told me it get it fix asap.
From my understanding there's also a reasonable chance that they review in eight weeks and decide he needs a reco anyway.

Fingers crossed his superhuman recovery powers continue to serve him well.

On Monday night 3AW Sports tonight (?) program reported that Steve Wallis had gone in for a scan. The Club was reported as saying given his history with the broken leg is was purely precautionary. Given there have been no further reports I assume all is good and no issues at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Monday night 3AW Sports tonight (?) program reported that Steve Wallis had gone in for a scan. The Club was reported as saying given his history with the broken leg is was purely precautionary. Given there have been no further reports I assume all is good and no issues at all.
Steve? Or Mitch?

3AW is about 30 years behind in its news

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-09/dog-defender-sidelined-for-pies-clash

Biggs out with Back Spasms and some new old injury news:

"(Tom is) training hard and getting up to peak fitness and form, (but) had a slight hiccup in the pre-season with a glute injury and missed a couple of weeks," King said.

"We've got a full and available list, and 'Boydy', like a handful of others, is definitely not out of contention for round one.

"He's happy, he's healthy and he's building."

Midfielder Mitch Wallis is in a similar situation to Boyd, with the 25-year-old also suffering a glute injury over the summer.

Wallis, who missed the club's 2016 premiership with a badly broken leg, must also be in doubt for round one after he was unavailable for the club's intra-club session in late February.​

Summary of what we've gleaned so far. Please feel free to add, update or correct.

Morris - partial tear of ACL - out until at least mid-season
Roughead - groin injury (possibly sustained in a hit during JLT2) - in doubt for Rd 1
Boyd - glute strain (possibly now fully recovered) and knee scare (seems OK but who knows?)
Wallis - glute strain - status unclear
Picken - concussion incurred in JLT2 - being monitored and in doubt for Rd 1
Bontempelli - ankle injury incurred very late in JLT2 - status unknown but presumed only minor at this stage
Biggs - back spasms forced his withdrawal from JLT2 - current status unknown

Also:
Redpath - 1 week suspension carried over from 2017 - available Rd2

Big razzz for the WB website where the latest post on the injuries page talks about Jake Stringer's hamstring (21 August 2017). :thumbsdown:

Occurred during JLT1 - can't see how he would be in doubt 3 weeks later - we are talking about Liam Picken here
Yes, so it was. Thanks for picking that up.

Regarding his availability for Rd 1 I was going on this item I read today:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-15/it-was-pretty-scary-tough-dogs-r1-in-doubt

The concern is that Picko knows no fear and so he has copped some heavy hits over the years. This article talks about the serious concussion he had in Rd 3 last year and the need to take a cautious approach. Especially now that the long term effects of sporting concussions have become better understood and more widely publicised.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-15/it-was-pretty-scary-tough-dogs-r1-in-doubt

The concern is that Picko knows no fear and so he has copped some heavy hits over the years. This article talks about the serious concussion he had in Rd 3 last year and the need to take a cautious approach. Especially now that the long term effects of sporting concussions have become better understood and more widely publicised.
Yes, he didn't come good for quite a while after that. Same with Libba after he got crunched by Mumford.

Thanks DW - hadn't seen that one. I know he has had plenty of hard hits over the years but can't recall many concussions.

Yes, he didn't come good for quite a while after that. Same with Libba after he got crunched by Mumford.
That's right. Presumably the standards and practices as they apply to concussion are under constant review. It seems like they should be because in both those cases last season it never felt like they got the spells they needed and it showed.

i know it's probably sacrilegious, but perhaps the great warrior picko should consider pulling the pin

he has nothing more to prove

with young kids and a long post football life ahead, it would be horrible if he got that one head knock too many and suffered for the rest of his life because of it

i know it's probably sacrilegious, but perhaps the great warrior picko should consider pulling the pin

he has nothing more to prove

with young kids and a long post football life ahead, it would be horrible if he got that one head knock too many and suffered for the rest of his life because of it
If there's any thought he would be in trouble long term with another concussion, I reckon you are on the money. Would suck for us short term, but it is someone's life we are talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back