Injuries 2019

eeuw4ZF.gif

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My thoughts were fairly right - with the usual Hackdorn Exaggeration. Not “ham off the bone” but a significant tear in the muscle belly. 12 weeks best case scenario. Shame but better now than when Ballantyne did his a couple of pre-seasons ago in the last JLT game. Also opens up opportunities for others early in the season with the likes of SHill & then Blakey to filter back into the mix.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I doubt even Hackdorn would make this up, especially the going in for surgery tomorrow. What he is potentially exaggerating on is the extent of the injury. Ham off the bone vs tear in the muscle belly. The second option still involves surgery but less time on recovery 10-12 weeks best case). Ham off the bone as these so called journalists love to reference is more than 4 months recovery. From memory 18-20 weeks.

Let’s hope it isn’t a “tear off the bone”, and he can reset his preseason and be ready to resume about 6 games into the season.

No one reported anything on Fri.
Not talking about tear off bone and will consult to see if surgery required after "innocuous" bump in a contest during training on Friday. But are saying 14 - 16 weeks!

Why didn't they have Friday and Monday off for the long weekend?!
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-01-28/connor-blakely-injury-update

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Glass-half-full.jpg

At least Blakely is almost certain to be replaced by giving more games to a younger player and not a fringe mature player. Banfield/North/Valente/Bewley in the mix? And then like Superkoops said there'll be S.Hill and Blakely to come back hopefully 5 to 10 games in as the draw starts to get harder and the younger players can benefit from a bit more rotation.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
My buddy Tom North - time to come on down!

Side note - rather he does it now, still 7 - 8 weeks until round 1.. worst case back around round 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Frustrating but still no excuses. We beat Adelaide sans Sandi, Fyfe, BHill, SHill and Bennell. We beat Port Adelaide sans Sandi, Fyfe, Blakely and Bennell.

I used to think a gun midfield was ultra important but West Coast completely blew that theory out of the water last year. If you have a good spine, some good kicks in the backline, an accountable midfield that is fit enough to get through 4 quarters, and a forward line that can be dangerous forward of centre then you'll do ok.

Neale gone, now Blakely out, and SHill unlikely to feature early sucks but probably just means Mundy playing a lot more mid time in the first half of the season, and Walters/Conca/Bennell increasing their time in the middle also. Banfield/Brayshaw/Cerra all had excellent games (or part games) in the middle last season - they just weren't consistent and ran out of puff. They'll all be smarter mids and run out games better this season. Brad Hill back to his best giving that all important run on the outside will also make it easier on our other mids, as too will Bewley assuming he continues his form through pre-season.

I'm really annoyed for Connor but it does present an opportunity for other mids to step up in the first half of the season and it might play out well if he and SHill come back into the team in the 2nd half of the season and give us a boost then when we've needed it most in recent seasons. Glass half full...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
So he is out for 12-14 weeks.

So another 6 weeks until the season starts. So he comes back by round 8. Sounds about right.

It means that Fyfe, Mundy and Conca are the only experienced inside mids Brayshaw, Banfield and Cerra get rotated.

I think we can cover Blakely to a degree.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Maybe this being leaked to Hagdorn is purposeful. Give him a crumb here and there, might change his constant harping on about how s**t we are. If you listen to the full grab, he talks about how positive the vibe is at the club, building comeraderie etc etc. great preseason. Etc.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
If people seriously think losing 1 player to injury at this time of the year is the end of our season they need to drink a cup of concrete and harden TF up. We have brought in 2 experienced players in Conca and Colyer, a mature body in Bewley and pumped games into AB and AC. While it is not ideal, we will cope with this folks.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Is there anyone left out there who want to defend our fitness staff? Yet another serious soft tissue injury that they are responsible for. It isn't just bad luck.

I am certainly not against looking at our fitness staff for improvements but how do you equate a collision injury with anything the fitness staff has done. Especially as every training watcher was saying Conner was super fit and flying. Same when he did his knee in a practice drill last year, can't expect the fitness staff to have magic wands to deal with all collision/practice injuries surely?

If heaps of players in the team start getting 'normal' hamstring strains or other soft tissue injuries during practice and matches then sure, fire away at the fitness staff's professionalism and I will join you.

Back