Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah and watch Ross leave Mundy in the forward line and play Hogan as an inside midfielder now :rolleyes::drunk::drunk:

Last edited:
Yep. Not sure why everyone's heading for the razor blades. We get Logue back into the back 6, Conca, Mundy, Fyfe, Hill, Hill, Langdon, Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield, Bennell, Tucker and Valente is an exceptional mix of talent in the midfield. And we can welcome him back in time for finals ;)

We’ve been saying all pre season that we’ve got the depth...we have no choice but to test that out! Blakely was starting rover though so it’s a huge loss.

Terrible news.

Reckon McCarthy is the lucky winner here. Reckon Mundy plays first 8 games as the Neale /Blakely replacement leaving his high forward role open go to McCarthy.

Yep. Not sure why everyone's heading for the razor blades. We get Logue back into the back 6, Conca, Mundy, Fyfe, Hill, Hill, Langdon, Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield, Bennell, Tucker and Valente is an exceptional mix of talent in the midfield. And we can welcome him back in time for finals ;)
Last time logue played he looked like a bust. Conca was a danyle pearce level scapegoat at Richmond. Mundy 100 years old. Fyfes back may or may not be ****ed and needs help. Shill looks cooked Brad tried for one season. Everyone else was an unknown except.... blakely. I would have rathered almost anyone bar fyfe Hogan sandilands or Alex tearing their hammy off the bone at this stage of the rebuild. Blakely was shaping as a massive bolter this season coming.

Last time logue played he looked like a bust. Conca was a danyle pearce level scapegoat at Richmond. Mundy 100 years old. Fyfes back may or may not be ****** and needs help. Shill looks cooked Brad tried for one season. Everyone else was an unknown except.... blakely. I would have rathered almost anyone bar fyfe Hogan sandilands or Alex tearing their hammy off the bone at this stage of the rebuild. Blakely was shaping as a massive bolter this season coming.

Wrong on Logue - he was looking more and more like he would become a dominant intercept marking half back towards the end of his first year. Rocky start, but very promising overall. Definitely not a bust,

It's going to be an interesting year

Last season we had one of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale attending most centre bounces with 2 of Banfield (1y), Brayshaw (1y), Walters, Matera (1y), Cerra (1y), Crowden (1y) in there

This season we have one less senior (extractor with 7 years inside midfield experience), and the senior who would have taken his place (46 games experience) is injured

So we'll have one of Fyfe (153 games), Mundy (294 games), ?? - and 2 of Banfield (2y), Brayshaw (2y), Walters (129 games), Cerra (2y), Bewley (1y) - potentially Conca (1y) in there too

Long story short - we were always short on chemisty and experience in the middle, this has made it worse. Our first years now have an extra year of experience behind them, but that additional experience won't come close to making up for what we've lost in having someone battle hardened in the middle.

Bewley is possibly the best fit for the middle (from a physical development point of view) but I had him pegged competing with Langdon and BHill for the winger role, and there's no way he'll be on top of our clearance tactics initially (same argument for Conca in terms of development vs chemistry)

It's gonna be interesting to see how we clear the ball this year out of the middle when we're stretched for experience there

Losing Blakely isn't everything, but it does hurt. I never bought the whole 'we will be fine, Blakely can fill the gap' argument. Opposition mids will focus on stopping Fyfe and Mundy, and when we're losing consecutive clearances we have no plan B other than Fyfe & Mundy together

Last edited:
I’d back Bewley tbh.
Mature aged midfielder. Fit, take the spot and he ll go 100% at it. Think we’re forgetting the point. IF we have the game plan, like many top clubs, the depth should come in and do the work. One individual shouldn’t change that. West coast’s midfielder looks ordinary on paper. It’s up to Ross and Co to put a plan in place to maximize the role players and get the best out of the forward line

Its not uncommon for a club to have an injury of this gravity over the summer.

Firstly, the players themselves just need to get on with it. At any one point in time you have 18 players on the field (occasionally 19 if you are sneaky). Replacing one of them with someone nearly as good should make us collapse in a heap.

Secondly, the injured player has to be managed right. No point coming back half fit or injury prone. Play WAFL if he needs to, even reserves. Maybe even a couple of weeks of little league just to get used to match conditions again.

Hagdorn reporting this morning that Nat Fyfe requires minor surgery to drain a bursitis inflammation on his elbow. He will miss two week of training only, but he may have to pull out of this horrible AFLX thingy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be an interesting year

Last season we had one of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale attending most centre bounces with 2 of Banfield (1y), Brayshaw (1y), Walters, Matera (1y), Cerra (1y), Crowden (1y) in there

This season we have one less senior (extractor with 7 years inside midfield experience), and the senior who would have taken his place (46 games experience) is injured

So we'll have one of Fyfe (153 games), Mundy (294 games), ?? - and 2 of Banfield (2y), Brayshaw (2y), Walters (129 games), Cerra (2y), Bewley (1y) - potentially Conca (1y) in there too

Long story short - we were always short on chemisty and experience in the middle, this has made it worse. Our first years now have an extra year of experience behind them, but that additional experience won't come close to making up for what we've lost in having someone battle hardened in the middle.

Bewley is possibly the best fit for the middle (from a physical development point of view) but I had him pegged competing with Langdon and BHill for the winger role, and there's no way he'll be on top of our clearance tactics initially (same argument for Conca in terms of development vs chemistry)

It's gonna be interesting to see how we clear the ball this year out of the middle when we're stretched for experience there

Losing Blakely isn't everything, but it does hurt. I never bought the whole 'we will be fine, Blakely can fill the gap' argument. Opposition mids will focus on stopping Fyfe and Mundy, and when we're losing consecutive clearances we have no plan B other than Fyfe & Mundy together
I think you are underestimating Conca's resume there. He is an experienced midfielder. I doubt if Brisbane are not expecting much from Neale because he has just joined them, and mark him down as (1yr).

You also don't have SHill even mentioned. I know he is injured and may not even be ready for round 1, but he is a one of the options.

Bewley may compete for a wing position with Langdon and BHill, but so does Colyer. I think both those players can be used in the contest if required.

I also think one of our "bigs" needs to add to their flexibility by being an option to go into the midfield now that the KPPs are pretty much sorted, and this could end up being a catalyst for that. For example, IF McCarthy could slip into a midfield role, he becomes an automatic inclusion for me. Same goes for Duman at the other end, or even Hughes. I am thinking 25% game time kind of thing.

I'm not trying to paint an optimistic picture here. Our midfield stocks can tumble quickly as they did last season without Fyfe and the Hills. That is quite normal in development mode, and gives an opportunity for a young player to step up. We may well end up with fewer wins, but more experience for a young midfielder. Swings and round-abouts for me.

Hagdorn reporting this morning that Nat Fyfe requires minor surgery to drain a bursitis inflammation on his elbow. He will miss two week of training only, but he may have to pull out of this horrible AFLX thingy.
They will only aspirate it, you could do that in the morning and keep training in the afternoon. I’ve had both my shoulders and my right knee aspirated.

I think you are underestimating Conca's resume there. He is an experienced midfielder. I doubt if Brisbane are not expecting much from Neale because he has just joined them, and mark him down as (1yr).

You also don't have SHill even mentioned. I know he is injured and may not even be ready for round 1, but he is a one of the options.

Bewley may compete for a wing position with Langdon and BHill, but so does Colyer. I think both those players can be used in the contest if required.

I also think one of our "bigs" needs to add to their flexibility by being an option to go into the midfield now that the KPPs are pretty much sorted, and this could end up being a catalyst for that. For example, IF McCarthy could slip into a midfield role, he becomes an automatic inclusion for me. Same goes for Duman at the other end, or even Hughes. I am thinking 25% game time kind of thing.

I'm not trying to paint an optimistic picture here. Our midfield stocks can tumble quickly as they did last season without Fyfe and the Hills. That is quite normal in development mode, and gives an opportunity for a young player to step up. We may well end up with fewer wins, but more experience for a young midfielder. Swings and round-abouts for me.

Oh man come on, Duman and McCarthy? Conca will hopefully help our squad of midget mids, and it wont be getting 9 clearance it will be with blocking and screening for the guys with actual talent.

I hope this means Cerra isnt wasted off halfback, throw that kid in there and tell conca to elbow anyone that *s with him.

Last time logue played he looked like a bust. Conca was a danyle pearce level scapegoat at Richmond. Mundy 100 years old. Fyfes back may or may not be ****** and needs help. Shill looks cooked Brad tried for one season. Everyone else was an unknown except.... blakely. I would have rathered almost anyone bar fyfe Hogan sandilands or Alex tearing their hammy off the bone at this stage of the rebuild. Blakely was shaping as a massive bolter this season coming.
So glass half full then

After reading your post 3 times I was convinced lol.

I like Bewley and Brayshaw to go hammer and tongs. Brayshaw was really coming on before he got sniped and looked like everything had clicked. Bewley is a hard nut that runs all day. At least Blakely isn't out for the season, I'm sure Mundy can hold down that role for the first 7-8 rounds, we don't need Mundy's height in the forward line now.

My thoughts 3 days ago...

Blakely looks ready to be that high possession midfielder we need. Brayshaw looks to have added some size and looks ready to be more attacking. Cerra with extra endurance should find more of the ball. Neale is a massive loss but with a new midfield mix and a better looking front and back half I can't wait for round 1. Top 8 isn't out of the picture.

Thoughts now...

We lost our Doig medallist, all our best players are either old or injury prone. Why the F can't SHill last more than two weeks into a pre-season. Why all the injuries all the time! how are we going to improve on last season, this looks like another re-build year, why are people on here talking about Conca and Bewley on here as our saviours (gulp).

I really hope we don't get flogged by 100 points round 1.

*thoughts to self*

It's never or as good or bad as it seems It's never or as good or bad as it seems It's never or as good or bad as it seems It's never or as good or bad as it seems It's never or as good or bad as it seems It's never or as good or bad as it seems

Blakely out is probably the straw that breaks the camels back , clamp down on Fyfe and the rest of the mids will just get pushed around unfortunately. We will be fine in a couple of years but for this year it doesn't look good for us in the trenches

Maybe we get Sandi to use the fist and try to get the ball into open space and back in our handy loose ball players , we still have Sandi dropping it in Fyfe's lap to mix it up and when we are deep in defence

Whether Rosco would be willing to roll the dice and play in a less controlled way is another thing entirely but our constant get numbers to the ball and feed it out to runners coming off the back of the stoppage wasn't working that well last year anyway so there is not much to lose if you ask me

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blakely was shaping as a massive bolter this season coming
He still could be. Official word from the club is: "we are confident he will be able to return in the first half of the season and have an impact.”

Try and stay positive mate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Conca's defensive side. You'll hate his disposal at times, but at least he'll stick the tackle (which we've sorely missed since Tendai, Subes and Crowls). Brayshaw ave 4.50 tackles, which is pretty impressive for an 18 year old. (Neale 4.23. Blakely 2.5) and David Mundy was runner-up in the Doig playing out of a forward pocket. regardless of his age (yes, he's 1 year older than last year) you don't think he can go into the midfield?

I think you might be wrong on Griff Logue being a 'bust'. Normally busts don't play 13 games as an 18 year old.

Write-off Fyfe at your own peril. He's genuinely elite.

Oh man come on, Duman and McCarthy?
Don't be afraid to quote where you predicted Mundy would evolve into an A grade mid, or where you predicted Melbourne would include centre bounces in Hogan's job description.

Reality is for those two guys is that they are not locked in best 22. Become multi-positional and they probably can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back