PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Lobb has been in form for what, two games? He was poor against Richmond and Adelaide, and even against Brissie got beaten in the ruck from what I saw but had a great last quarter around the ground. We really are not going to lose as much by swapping Darcy in as first ruck as people think is my prediction.
What ticks me off is not getting to see Lobb in the position he actually seems best for - as forward/second ruck. That would be a huge upgrade on Cox.
Disagree slightly - I think you're right in terms of ruck contest themselves, in fact we might actually gain a bit in the ruck duels themselves. But in general play, Lobb has been pretty good for a number of weeks. And even if we concede he's been beaten in all facets, I can't see Darcy doing better ... hopefully I'm totally wrong on that too BTW, just my thoughts.

Either way, this is what Darcy is here for, he's the definitive No. 1 in waiting.

And yes, couldn't agree more - the more annoying thing is that we aren't going to see Lobb and Darcy on the field at the same time. With Cox in average form (being kind?) and Tabbs out, odds of that being a reality were pretty good until the Lobb injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superkoops

Club Legend
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree PapaJ my biggest disappointment is not seeing Darcy and Lobb this weekend.

I’d say we need to go old school and let Darcy drop behind the ball and let Cox ruck in the fwd fidy. Hopefully we can take advantage of Darcy’s very skilled ruck knocks to advantage in centre clearances. We have struggled in this area in most games.

What we have lost with Lobb is athleticism around the ground and he has looked dangerous when dropping i50. I’d say training on Sat was preparing for these changes. Rumours on Lobb were floating around in Thu/Fri.

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Paddy ryder is one of the best tap ruckman in the league. And Lycett is very good round the ground.
We is fooked
Then we shark them. Did it against Grundy. Darcy has to match up with Lycett. Have to try and get it out of the middle and in our forward. It’ll be a defensive slog type of game anyway.

Superkoops

Club Legend
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The word is Charlie Dixon will be back. They are bringing over a very tall side of that is the case.

MadEyeEmmy

All Australian
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The word is Charlie Dixon will be back. They are bringing over a very tall side of that is the case.
They’re probably licking their lips at our sudden lack of quality talls. Meh, I still think we should beat them at home

Deveraux

All Australian
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't care that Charlie kicked 5 at Sanfl. He is massively underdone

Hazelsnuts

All Australian
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
I don't care that Charlie kicked 5 at Sanfl. He is massively underdone
Charlie will blow up, massive man who needs time to build his tank.
Port are a really quick team, that worries me if we can’t clamp their runners.

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I agree PapaJ my biggest disappointment is not seeing Darcy and Lobb this weekend.

I’d say we need to go old school and let Darcy drop behind the ball and let Cox ruck in the fwd fidy. Hopefully we can take advantage of Darcy’s very skilled ruck knocks to advantage in centre clearances. We have struggled in this area in most games.

What we have lost with Lobb is athleticism around the ground and he has looked dangerous when dropping i50. I’d say training on Sat was preparing for these changes. Rumours on Lobb were floating around in Thu/Fri.
Like this thinking. It's going to take a bit of tweeking from the midfield brigade, but we need to play to his strengths (stoppages) and hide his weaknesses (open field play, speed and mobility).

We're not gunning for flags at this stage anyway, Darcy being forced to play No 1. ruck is going to be interesting if nothing else.

More worried about covering Pearce TBH. Logue has all the goods, but has so little match time under his belt. Basically another rookie year really, just with a bit more base fitness in him. Then it's pretty thin pickings to take his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Logue is a pick 8 key position player in his 3rd year . He should take the CHB role and be bloody great at it. Pearce was off for 2 years before coming back in. Don’t make excuses for him it’s time for him to be a player
Time to be fit and get with it. Pre season he trains and look like a beast. Time to be one

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Logue is a pick 8 key position player in his 3rd year . He should take the CHB role and be bloody great at it. Pearce was off for 2 years before coming back in. Don’t make excuses for him it’s time for him to be a player
Like it, but to be fair, Pearce had 3 full pre-seasons and 21 games over 2 seasons before his big injury lay-off, had also played more footy in general before that. Logue has had 2 pre-seasons 13 games in 1 season - and fairly average games at that. In theory Logue's base fitness should be OK, but his feel for AFL footy wont be the same level both by natural ability and time on ground.

So are we comparing apples and apples? Maybe Grany Smiths and Red Delicious o_O - they're comparable but not like for like in all sorts of ways.

Still, like you say, this is what he's here for - time to get busy.

BlueE

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes Tabs can come off the LTI list if he recovers prior to the end of the season. We just need to replace him with another long term injury - Pearce and/or Giro for example.
That's not what how I understand the long term injury list for mid season draft rules go.

Tayl0r can you please clarify?

Tayl0r

Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's not what how I understand the long term injury list for mid season draft rules go.

Tayl0r can you please clarify?
We need to have someone on the inactive list for Dillon to play.

Giro, Moose and Tabs aren't playing again so any could be used to allow O'Reilly to play.

BlueE

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need to have someone on the inactive list for Dillon to play.

Giro, Moose and Tabs aren't playing again so any could be used to allow O'Reilly to play.
So you're sure it doesn't have to be Taberner and he can come off the LTI list for someone else because that's not how I understand the rules?

Taberner's injury was caught early and he could be healed by end of July.

Tayl0r

Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you're sure it doesn't have to be Tabener and he can come off the LTI list for someone else because that's not how I understand the rules?
We have to have someone on our inactive list, that someone can change.

Redgum

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo Footy Club
Re Pearce
A large cast like that. That’s a broken leg right?
Superkoops said:
Surgery yesterday - instagram post today
View attachment 687278

I am not sure if someone had posted somewhere about the fracture but I think is is quite serious as it was reported that he had a plate and screws inserted, there's no way it is a smallish bone like the fibula,I'd say it his tibia at that base of his ankle,the major large bone. He will be out for some time and when it's healed ,may have to have the plate removed as it my restrict his movement in his ankle.

F

blue shark

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re Pearce

Superkoops said:
View attachment 687278

I am not sure if someone had posted somewhere about the fracture but I think is is quite serious as it was reported that he had a plate and screws inserted, there's no way it is a smallish bone like the fibula,I'd say it his tibia at that base of his ankle,the major large bone. He will be out for some time and when it's healed ,may have to have the plate removed as it my restrict his movement in his ankle.

F
Sounds like O'Reilly was the right decision then.

Superkoops

Club Legend
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re Pearce

Superkoops said:
View attachment 687278

F
We have since found out that it is the medial malleous, which is as you say the base of the Tibia. He had surgery last Tue morning. Best option for future recovery is the plate and screw.

I initially wondered whether it was the fibula because of Rosco’s comments post game that APearce could weight bear.

Tayl0r

Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re Pearce

Superkoops said:
View attachment 687278

F
It looks like this:

The plate and screws put it back in position for it to heal, the scar on the ankle looks worse than it is.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
We have suspended training at Optus. Interesting.
Part of a full medical and operations review

Pearces was due to a normal mechanism and Taberners was blamed on Optus from the sounds of it, not sure with Lobb now I guess we will find out

Top Bottom