Injuries 2019

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haze on Fremantle's soft-tissue injuries: “They clearly have something wrong in their program.”

.@Karl6pr: "I've heard Bradley Hill has torn his calf and won't be available for round one."

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like Karl being a dick and using incorrect terminology. Torn calf is very different to corked calf. In doubt for round 1 yes, but a torn calf would be in doubt for round 10. These guys need to think a bit more before they speak or maybe just not speak.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are a number of factors that have to be considered, it does not all fall to our strength and conditioning team. Having players on the list like Morabito, Bennel, and Sandi impact the stats, and we don’t know who makes these decisions and what info they use. Others who have had long injury periods which influence the stats include Apeness, Alex Pearce and Zac Clarke. Now we have recruited Switta, who can’t stay on the park, it seems.

I've highlighted this part of your post because I dont agree with you. I think it absolutely falls on the shoulders of our head of sport science. You can't take out Bennell etc because they're long term injuries without considering whether our program contributed to the initial injury and also the repeat injuries. I think it does.

It surely can't be a coincidence that Bennell's calf suddenly as an act of God got worse, a lot worse, the day he started with us. Our S & C new he had a dodgy calf and 3 weeks into preseason it went and they've never been able to get it right. GC's team were able to.

Morabito definitely struggled to get to the high level fitness required by our S & C team without re-doing his knee, at training! Why at training in apparently very light sessions?

Sandi and S Hill have developed their problems and we've seen them become chronic recurring injuries under the guidance of our team. They can get fit (so too Bennell) but as soon as they try to go the next level required by our team, they break down. How many other clubs have 2 players continually out of the game with calf injuries. Most club sort the problem out and the player is able to get back to playing. How many players other than Hilly have a quad that they can't kick a football with? It developed under the guidance of Weber and hasn't been able to be fixed.

Apeness and Clarke imo were never given the proper rehab to get right, the demands were too high. Clarke proved it by getting through a whole WAFL season the very first season out of our regime. Was he fit enough to play at a very high level? of course he was. Was he fit enough to play an AFL game? Not according to Weber.

Swita, had a history of hammies, but we still drafted him. Even though we knew he had suspect hammies he strained it a few weeks into his first preseason, and then again throughout the season. Credit where its due, they got him through preseason this year but he couldn't get through 1 preseason game without it going again.

Weber and his high running regime have their fingerprints all over the worst of our soft tissue injuries imo.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've highlighted this part of your post because I dont agree with you. I think it absolutely falls on the shoulders of our head of sport science. You can't take out Bennell etc because they're long term injuries without considering whether our program contributed to the initial injury and also the repeat injuries. I think it does.

It surely can't be a coincidence that Bennell's calf suddenly as an act of God got worse, a lot worse, the day he started with us. Our S & C new he had a dodgy calf and 3 weeks into preseason it went and they've never been able to get it right. GC's team were able to.

Morabito definitely struggled to get to the high level fitness required by our S & C team without re-doing his knee, at training! Why at training in apparently very light sessions?

Sandi and S Hill have developed their problems and we've seen them become chronic recurring injuries under the guidance of our team. They can get fit (so too Bennell) but as soon as they try to go the next level required by our team, they break down. How many other clubs have 2 players continually out of the game with calf injuries. Most club sort the problem out and the player is able to get back to playing. How many players other than Hilly have a quad that they can't kick a football with? It developed under the guidance of Weber and hasn't been able to be fixed.

Apeness and Clarke imo were never given the proper rehab to get right, the demands were too high. Clarke proved it by getting through a whole WAFL season the very first season out of our regime. Was he fit enough to play at a very high level? of course he was. Was he fit enough to play an AFL game? Not according to Weber.

Swita, had a history of hammies, but we still drafted him. Even though we knew he had suspect hammies he strained it a few weeks into his first preseason, and then again throughout the season. Credit where its due, they got him through preseason this year but he couldn't get through 1 preseason game without it going again.

Weber and his high running regime have their fingerprints all over the worst of our soft tissue injuries imo.
I wasn’t trying to say that our strength and conditioning team are not a problem. Merely that we don’t know the details and it is hard to be definitive about where the fault lies. Probably some (a lot) with the S&C team, but some maybe with recruitment, some with list management, some maybe with the coach’s desire to have a team that runs harder than everyone else.

I would love to have better stats available that allows all of us to assess better how we compare to other clubs.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sandi was pretty resilient until he hit 30 odd. Then some of his injuries are impact like extracting Naitanui’s knee from his chest and his oversized big toe getting stuck in the ground. Only at the ripe age of 35.5 years has he done his calf. I can say at around the same age I did my calf/Achilles/fasciitis and never been the same since. He did his hamstring - but again was about 34 so no big surprise at that age. So best not to include the big fella. He is the oldest in the comp.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Sandi was pretty resilient until he hit 30 odd. Then some of his injuries are impact like extracting Naitanui’s knee from his chest and his oversized big toe getting stuck in the ground. Only at the ripe age of 35.5 years has he done his calf. I can say at around the same age I did my calf/Achilles/fasciitis and never been the same since. He did his hamstring - but again was about 34 so no big surprise at that age. So best not to include the big fella. He is the oldest in the comp after Burgoyne.

EFA

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I went to Hawthorn's website and they have all the teams listed. Unfortunately the only info for Fremantle is Dixon and Valente 2 weeks and Fyfe, B Hill test. Everything else is TBC. It does include Matera's suspension, so it seems current.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How long can it take to write “TBC” 15 times, and film Weber saying “hitting KPIs” and “working through his progressions” over and over”?
15? It's been a couple of days... must be at least 17 by now surely?

You missed "complexity", "unique", "minor level"/"small"/"slight" (meaning anything where they aren't out for the entire season), "confident", "training really strongly", "on target", "setback" (normally follows immediately after 'on target' the week before), "progressing well", "back to running", "starting his return... to training". And then complete avoidance of the big Sandi and Bennell elephants in the room.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is the injury update from Hawthorn's website (it looks up-to-date). If accurate (Weber saying TBC for all of those) it is absolutely disgraceful. 9 players with TBC returns! #sackweber
PlayerInjuryEstimated Return

Harley Bennell

Calf

TBC

Connor Blakely

Hamstring

TBC

Brennan Cox

Hamstring

TBC

Hugh Dixon

Hip

2 weeks

Brad Hill

Calf

Test

Stephen Hill

Quad

TBC

Nat Fyfe

Elbow

Test

Shane Kersten

Foot

TBC

Griffin Logue

Hamstring

TBC

Brandon Matera

Suspension

Round 2

Aaron Sandilands

Calf

TBC

Sam Switkowski

Hamstring

TBC

Matt Taberner

Calf/Hamstring

TBC

Luke Valente

Groin

2 weeks

The Dockers' wretched run of soft-tissue injuries continued when tall forwards Cox and Taberner suffered setbacks on Sunday, adding to a concerning injury list heading into round one. Fremantle hopes Taberner's injury is only tightness but Cox looks set to miss several weeks, after Logue and Switkowski went down in the JLT1 loss to Collingwood. In better news, Fyfe is a certain starter to boost a youthful midfield in round one after missing both practice games. - Travis King

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
This is the injury update from Hawthorn's website (it looks up-to-date). If accurate (Weber saying TBC for all of those) it is absolutely disgraceful. 9 players with TBC returns! #sackweber
PlayerInjuryEstimated Return

Harley Bennell

Calf

TBC

Connor Blakely

Hamstring

TBC

Brennan Cox

Hamstring

TBC

Hugh Dixon

Hip

2 weeks

Brad Hill

Calf

Test

Stephen Hill

Quad

TBC

Nat Fyfe

Elbow

Test

Shane Kersten

Foot

TBC

Griffin Logue

Hamstring

TBC

Brandon Matera

Suspension

Round 2

Aaron Sandilands

Calf

TBC

Sam Switkowski

Hamstring

TBC

Matt Taberner

Calf/Hamstring

TBC

Luke Valente

Groin

2 weeks

The Dockers' wretched run of soft-tissue injuries continued when tall forwards Cox and Taberner suffered setbacks on Sunday, adding to a concerning injury list heading into round one. Fremantle hopes Taberner's injury is only tightness but Cox looks set to miss several weeks, after Logue and Switkowski went down in the JLT1 loss to Collingwood. In better news, Fyfe is a certain starter to boost a youthful midfield in round one after missing both practice games. - Travis King

That doesn't include McCarthy or Sturt who got s**t mixed

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
AFL360 did a whole segment on the Saints and their injury woes “rnd 18 sort of injury list for saints” I count 15 which is equal if not more than the saints. Hold on to your preseason hopes ladies and gents it’s gonna be a long year.

Back