Injuries 2019

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely something has to change now? Surely.
No, no it doesn't...and don't call me Shirley.

Jason Weber, that's PhD candidate Jason Weber to you plebs, is moving in august circles at the moment.

Two, I repeat two, of his co-authored research thingys have recently been published, and what page turners they are...
'Assessment of a Novel Algorithm To Determine Change-of-Direction Angles While Running Using Inertial Sensors' joins
'An Algorithm for the Automatic Detection and Quantification of Athlete's Change of Direction Incidents Using IMU Sensor Data' in the public domain.

As Mr Weber is so clearly fascinated by change of direction, I hope he shortly changes direction himself...right out of Freo FC.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jason_Weber4

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS

Jason Weber, that's PhD candidate Jason Weber to you plebs, is moving in august circles at the moment.

Two, I repeat two, of his co-authored research thingys have recently been published, and what page turners they are...
'Assessment of a Novel Algorithm To Determine Change-of-Direction Angles While Running Using Inertial Sensors' joins
'An Algorithm for the Automatic Detection and Quantification of Athlete's Change of Direction Incidents Using IMU Sensor Data' in the public domain.

As Mr Weber is so clearly fascinated by change of direction, I hope he shortly changes direction himself...right out of Freo FC.

Bit harsh. It’s not easy to get published.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit harsh. It’s not easy to get published.
Not nearly as hard as it used to be. So many journals these days - including those dodgy paid ones that no-one reads but allows people to buy being able to say they are 'published'. The key is the length of the title. Your probability of being published is directly proportional to the character length of your article title... a theorem I proved in my recently published journal article:

"Never Use Short Journal Article Titles as the Probability of an Article being Published in an Unpaid Journal is Directly Proportional to the Character Length of the Full Title of the Journal Article you Wish to have Published - A Comparative Study of Published Journal Articles Versus Unpublished Journal Articles"

Please don't all bombard me with requests for a copy :p

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Look at Adelaide. They wrecked themselves last year with a spate of hamstring injuries. Actually acknowledged it and did something about it, in complete contrast to our approach. Now they have the shortest injury list, with only 1 soft tissue (some nobody who is 1 week away).

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Look at Adelaide. They wrecked themselves last year with a spate of hamstring injuries. Actually acknowledged it and did something about it, in complete contrast to our approach. Now they have the shortest injury list, with only 1 soft tissue (some nobody who is 1 week away).
You mean if you have a bad injury run, you investigate and change it. Ground breaking

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus

Not really involved in research are you?

Probably one of the shittest posts I've seen in this thread, and that's saying something

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a genius strength and conditioning department. Tabs unnecessarily injured in a WAFL warm up. Cox injured in the first 15 minutes of a JLT game.
In comes McCarthy, with absolutely no confidence.

What a forward line it ll be

HF: Ballas, Lobb, Walters
FF: Banfield, Hogan, McCarthy
We haven’t had a forward line that good since JLo was playing

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reviewing previous injury lists, media interviews and articles this is my best guess:
H. Bennell (Calf, TBC)
A. Sandilands (Calf, TBC)
B. Matera (Suspended, Rd 2)
S. Kersten (Foot Plantar Fasciitis, TBC, Rd 2-3?)
S. Hill (Quad, TBC, Rd 4?)
N. Fyfe (Elbow, Test)
B. Hill (Calf, Test)
G. Logue (Hamstring, 1-2 weeks)
H. Dixon (Hip, 2 weeks)
L. Valente (Groin, 2 weeks)
S. Switowski (Hamstring, 2-3 weeks)
M. Taberner (Calf, 3 weeks)
B. Cox (Hamstring, 3-4 weeks)
C. Blakely (Hamstring 5-7 weeks)

Hopefully some clarification on the true TBC’s next week. Freo often don’t do an official injury list in an AFL bye weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

I just had a read of the abstracts - they sound exactly like the sort of load management studies you'd want your head of performance involved in.

Did they make changes?
Genuine question as I was still under the impression that Brett burton was still in charge.

The biggest “boys” club in football.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Another complication with the injuries is with the WAFL season starting later than the AFL season. We will need to replace injured players for the first 3 weeks picked on WAFL scratch match and training form.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another complication with the injuries is with the WAFL season starting later than the AFL season. We will need to replace injured players for the first 3 weeks picked on WAFL scratch match and training form.

This makes it harder to get back to fitness for clubs with longer injury lists sadly... I am hoping that fyfe and billy get through for round one and the rest are good to go and on schedule - no set backs etc and our injury list looks good. Many set backs and we are in big trouble.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just had a read of the abstracts - they sound exactly like the sort of load management studies you'd want your head of performance involved in.
I disagree. I had a read as well. One study was developing a formula to calculate angles measuring change of direction on video by correlating to inertial sensor technology (accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers)

The other was testing it.

One was by Aaron Balloch who also is named in the studies as working for the Dockers. The other Mahir Meghji. So Weber gets a 5th naming credit for employing the guy who's study it was and letting them use Dockers telemetries?

Don't be fooled by the long titles and theoretical content as wayToGo_ and youmewe point out.

Also how do you work full time and complete a PhD? Good job if you can get it.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Not sure if being mentioned. But what’s Dixon up to? Is he injured ? He could be a chance to be blooded, if they want someone in Cox’s role. Too young? Wasn’t he nursing an injury too?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did they make changes?
Genuine question as I was still under the impression that Brett burton was still in charge.

The biggest “boys” club in football.
Agree. But they had a good S&C who left when Bret Burton was appointed by the boys club. Even though he had some sort of sports science qualifications Adelaide became crap with many hamstring injuries after the first year when they still had the effects of the original programme. In this it's a good example of lots of injuries because of a poor programme.

However because Adelaide is a bigger "boys" club that Freo they promoted him to head of Football where he presided over the infamous preseason camp and resulting cover up which some say was responsible for Adelaide going from the 2017 GF to 12th in 2018 losing many players along the way.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Most of them aren’t ready to play for the next 3 weeks anyway.

Those that need some match fitness like McCarthy, Darcy & Conca can play structured minutes in a Mickey Mouse scratchy.

The only one that maybe really disadvantaged is Logue who maybe good for a game in 1-2 weeks but the proper WAFL scratchies commence next weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also how do you work full time and complete a PhD? Good job if you can get it.[/QUOTE]
You can just take longer with your PhD, part-time like.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts

As s**t as he is at managing S&C, that post is well out of order. What the * have you done?

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also how do you work full time and complete a PhD? Good job if you can get it.
You can just take longer with your PhD, part-time like.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, problem is he’s also a director of two other companies (Alerte Digital Sport and Old Bull Fitness)

https://au.linkedin.com/in/jason-weber-928a0032.

https://www.alerteds.com/team/

https://www.oldbullfitness.com/pages/australian-pro-strength-conditioning-coach-my-profile

PhD student, High Performance Manager at Freo and director of two other companies is spreading yourself a bit thin.

Weber is obviously a very smart man and good luck to him in his other ventures. My concern is with his commitment to Fremantle FC and his results there over a full decade. He may be an expert in textbook biomechanics but AFL is a unique sport. There is no other sporting code which requires its participants to employ so many different skill sets at a frenetic pace, under the duress of physical contact, and then completely alter those physical demands at a moment’s notice depending on the bounce of an oval shaped ball.

Players are human and come in all shapes and sizes. There is no one size fits all textbook biometric which can be applied across all players at a football club. Obviously an AFL club’s S and C department is aware of that. Fremantle’s horror run with soft tissue injuries and their rehabilitation has been ongoing for many years and all under the watch of Mr Weber. For many years we were told the playing surface at Fremantle Oval was to blame, even though South Fremantle played and trained at the same ground without any obvious problems. The problem has escalated since the move to Cockburn.

Is Weber to blame? Obviously not entirely on his own, but something is simply not right and as the chief guy in that department, we as members have every right to question his continuing tenure at the club.

Will anything change? Don’t hold your breath, Weber’s svengali like standing is deeply entrenched. At the end of last season Ross Lyon was asked about Freo’s wretched run of soft tissue injuries and his reply included the following line "It can be as simple as training up here (at Optus Stadium), so the quality of our weights on our second session on our legs hasn't been the same, so there's been a cost to coming up here."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-24/dockers-investigating-softtissue-issues

What the hell does that actually mean? No self respecting boy from Reservoir would speak like that. Sounds entirely Webernese to me.

Anyway that's my opinion, other posters are free to disagree, but I am also free to express it.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not privy to the inner workings at the club and have never seen any stats to justify any strong opinions on how Jason Weber goes about it specifically.

However given the issues with Morabito and Bennell, amongst others, he's clearly no miracle worker. Given that, the club wouldn't have had too much to lose to part ways with Weber and see what someone else could do. It's a big wide world out there.

One thing I do think is that he probably holds a lot of credence with Fyfe.

Back