Injuries 2019

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I disagree. I had a read as well. One study was developing a formula to calculate angles measuring change of direction on video by correlating to inertial sensor technology (accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers)

The other was testing it.

One was by Aaron Balloch who also is named in the studies as working for the Dockers. The other Mahir Meghji. So Weber gets a 5th naming credit for employing the guy who's study it was and letting them use Dockers telemetries?

Don't be fooled by the long titles and theoretical content as wayToGo_ and youmewe point out.

Also how do you work full time and complete a PhD? Good job if you can get it.

Yes but do you understand why it's useful in load tracking and management? Quantity and force of CODs - braking phases in particular - are very much linked to injury risk.

I tracked down the full article to have a read. It's stresses how individualised every athlete's biomechanics and neuromuscular/mechanical loading responses to COD events are, and therefore how important individualised, real-time load tracking is.

Cumulative COD leads to the development of musculoskeletal and neuromuscular fatigue which can alter biomechanics leading to increased risk of injury. But current wearable tech is limited in its capacity to quantify the mechanical loading associated with repeated COD movement, so their aim was to develop a new algorithm which can detect and quantify COD loads.

The subjects used were recreational athletes, so I think you're off the mark suggesting Weber only got his name on the study for letting them use Freo data. He is part of ECU's Exercise Medicine Research Institute along with Balloch, Hart and Newton. This may or may not lead to anything significant, but you'd rather your head of performance be across new load management developments than not.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes but do you understand why it's useful in load tracking and management? Quantity and force of CODs - braking phases in particular - are very much linked to injury risk.

I tracked down the full article to have a read. It's stresses how individualised every athlete's biomechanics and neuromuscular/mechanical loading responses to COD events are, and therefore how important individualised, real-time load tracking is.

Cumulative COD leads to the development of musculoskeletal and neuromuscular fatigue which can alter biomechanics leading to increased risk of injury. But current wearable tech is limited in its capacity to quantify the mechanical loading associated with repeated COD movement, so their aim was to develop a new algorithm which can detect and quantify COD loads.

The subjects used were recreational athletes, so I think you're off the mark suggesting Weber only got his name on the study for letting them use Freo data. He is part of ECU's Exercise Medicine Research Institute along with Balloch, Hart and Newton. This may or may not lead to anything significant, but you'd rather your head of performance be across new load management developments than not.
Research schmesearch. Would rather our head of S&C have a successful, PRACTICAL, track record of injury prevention. Let the acedemics do the acedemicing. It’s the same across most fields - there’s acedemics, and there’s more practically driven people. Let others do the research, debug and trial the various theories. Once it’s proven, swoop in and implement. It’s often not advantageous to be an early adopter of new technology. Especially if current tech/theories are fine.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I wonder what the injury rate was like during Weber's time at the Wallabies.

I've heard a few whispers that Lyon might be part of the problem when it comes to the S&C dept not having a free reign to manage load as they see fit, at least in the past.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder what the injury rate was like during Weber's time at the Wallabies.

I've heard a few whispers that Lyon might be part of the problem when it comes to the S&C dept having a free reign to manage load as they see fit, at least in the past.

That seems obvious. Just got to go to a training session to see how much input he has. Also, game days where Ross admits that he’s lead by him on when players come off and back on. I realise they have a big part in every team/club and years gone by they almost totally ran the footy dept, but I believe the smart,and as it’s turning out the successful clubs, are going away from this set up.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Research schmesearch. Would rather our head of S&C have a successful, PRACTICAL, track record of injury prevention. Let the acedemics do the acedemicing. It’s the same across most fields - there’s acedemics, and there’s more practically driven people. Let others do the research, debug and trial the various theories. Once it’s proven, swoop in and implement. It’s often not advantageous to be an early adopter of new technology. Especially if current tech/theories are fine.

Totally agree. I wonder what books and papers the sports science staff at the successful clubs are putting out. I’d guess they’d be almost totally committed to their job of keeping their clubs playing list fit, healthy and available.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Daniher is out for 6 weeks with a calf tear. It's not only Freo.

The frequency and number affecting Freo, especially hamstring injuries makes me concerned there is something amiss with the training and conditioning programs.

They also talk about awareness (a term that annoys me no end) yet this awareness is after incident rather than before.

Watching Logue at the end of JLT1 can’t be blamed on S&C. He landed awkwardly after executing an unnecessary bump in a marking contest. Poor technique from him.

But others like Cox (Hamstring), Swita (Hamstring), Tabs (Soleus-Calf) were very early in their respective matches and from innocuous incidents.

I’m not sure how far the review went but more needs to be done, because player availability is killing us, especially when you add in the losses of Weller and Neale. We did well out of those trades but short term when added to lengthy soft tissue injury list is placing added pressures.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
The frequency and number affecting Freo, especially hamstring injuries makes me concerned there is something amiss with the training and conditioning programs.

They also talk about awareness (a term that annoys me no end) yet this awareness is after incident rather than before.

Watching Logue at the end of JLT1 can’t be blamed on S&C. He landed awkwardly after executing an unnecessary bump in a marking contest. Poor technique from him.

But others like Cox (Hamstring), Swita (Hamstring), Tabs (Soleus-Calf) were very early in their respective matches and from innocuous incidents.

I’m not sure how far the review went but more needs to be done, because player availability is killing us, especially when you add in the losses of Weller and Neale. We did well out of those trades but short term when added to lengthy soft tissue injury list is placing added pressures.

I realise we’ll never know, but how many times does a player do this or something like it and nothing happens? Just like Morabito doing his knee just changing direction at training and Blakely who has no history of hamstring injuries, tearing it after a simple bump from an opposition player, I think the trading loads can contribute to soft tissue injuries where there normally wouldn’t be.

Mr Peabody

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've heard a few whispers that Lyon might be part of the problem when it comes to the S&C dept having a free reign to manage load as they see fit, at least in the past.
That’s funny cos I’ve heard whispers that he doesn’t fully listen to them....too much whispering and you end up with Cockburn.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
That seems obvious. Just got to go to a training session to see how much input he has. Also, game days where Ross admits that he’s lead by him on when players come off and back on. I realise they have a big part in every team/club and years gone by they almost totally ran the footy dept, but I believe the smart,and as it’s turning out the successful clubs, are going away from this set up.
I think you misinterpreted me. I'm saying the same thing as Peabody above - that Lyon interferes too much with his S&C dept.

So I've heard anyway.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Cannot believe we are still having such massive problems with soft tissue injuries.
Yeah, huge running loads combined with muscle bulking activities combined with high temperatures. What could go wrong?

AFL wanted to reduce congestion by reducing rotations therein making players more tired and it more difficult to get everyone to every contest. Clubs responded by making players fitter so they still could and have been giving them higher running loads + higher rotations between positions so the big boys have to cover more ground than ever to help out. We have already seen a 20% increase in injuries 2017 to 2018 (AFL's figures discussed last week), and look at the inj lists for soft tissue injuries this year and the season hasn't even started.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
Is there any thoughts that we have an immature surface at Cockburn, addition to Optus stadium? A long string but I’d expect there would be cause and affect with the soft tissue injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2018
Anyone willing to speculate RTB and Belly have had the chat to Sandi regarding his future? Maybe move him aside and get someone in via the SSP

I’m sure they will realistically know if his body is willing and able. But who’s willing to make the tough decision?

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
He should put them in the pool with weights on

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Anyone willing to speculate RTB and Belly have had the chat to Sandi regarding his future? Maybe move him aside and get someone in via the SSP

I’m sure they will realistically know if his body is willing and able. But who’s willing to make the tough decision?

It would be a big call now, there is a mid season draft where we will have a better idea of what mature age picks have improved.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Wow the doom and gloom round here is thick! Like molasses!

If anything I hope they are working on him being available come finals time. Maybe I'm off with the fairies, but Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Hill is still an extremely experienced, hardened, finals like starting midfield. I think our back six is nearly as good as its ever been (regardless of how it might have looked during the scratch matches) and who knows how well the forward line will function now that we finally have competition for spots.

I think that Ross is playing all you scaredy cats by playing Hogan in the middle and taking brad hill out with a cork. I hope what's actually happening is they are focussing all of their efforts into round 1.

I guess we'll all find out round 1 but geez I feel like there's still a lot to like for the coming season.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Too late now - they have 20mins to make a call and if they were - sorry Sandi in your last year and after 265 games of quality service to club we’re moving you off the list so we can pluck someone out of obscurity in the final day of SSP.

The mid season draft might be an option but let’s give the big fella a chance rather flip him for a Sam Rowe/ Jonathon Marsh type.

Jul 20, 2018
Wow the doom and gloom round here is thick! Like molasses!

If anything I hope they are working on him being available come finals time. Maybe I'm off with the fairies, but Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Hill is still an extremely experienced, hardened, finals like starting midfield. I think our back six is nearly as good as its ever been (regardless of how it might have looked during the scratch matches) and who knows how well the forward line will function now that we finally have competition for spots.

I think that Ross is playing all you scaredy cats by playing Hogan in the middle and taking brad hill out with a cork. I hope what's actually happening is they are focussing all of their efforts into round 1.

I guess we'll all find out round 1 but geez I feel like there's still a lot to like for the coming season.

Doom and gloom?

Sandi - 26 games in 3 seasons
Bennell - 2 games in 3 seasons

Just a realist

I’m all for giving them until the mid season break, but there’s a real chance that they both play very little to that point, and the club may and should be having the retirement conversation with both of them.

If it’s a case of money, I’m sure freo will pay out their existing contracts - it’s the list spot that’s more vital.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doom and gloom?

Sandi - 26 games in 3 seasons
Bennell - 2 games in 3 seasons

Just a realist

I’m all for giving them until the mid season break, but there’s a real chance that they both play very little to that point, and the club may and should be having the retirement conversation with both of them.

If it’s a case of money, I’m sure freo will pay out their existing contracts - it’s the list spot that’s more vital.

Yeah but even if we created list spaces to help bulk up our midfield with some mature talent, they won’t have much time to embed the game plan and will probably just get the ball and bomb it long.... waaaiiitttt a seeccoonnddd 🧐

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I've heard whispers that Lyon's to blame because he's neither too involved nor too hands off and that he's been sleeping in Mama Bear's bed.
Yep, and we're also pretending that we/Lyon do/does it more/less than what other clubs/coaches do/don't do.

Regardless, it is something the club really needs to be very sure that they are leaving nothing to chance with, and that we are fully resourcing.

Back