Injuries 2019

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have it on good authority that an announcement will be made shortly that the injury list is to be renamed the HARLEY BENNELL MEMORIAL INJURY LIST.

If it was still called the HBF Injury Update like it used to be, Harley Bennell F....d (again) might have been a nice club-sponsor alignment

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The way Jason Weber was talking I got the feeling that he may be moved to a LTI due to complications with his foot

Interesting point you make:
14/05/19:”Weber said that defender Shane Kersten’s progress will be monitored due to challenges after foot surgery.”

07/05/19: “Weber said that defender Shane Kersten is recovering well from a recent foot surgery. He had a very strong run at the weekend and we look forward to seeing him back into some football training in the coming week or so.”

Does indeed sound like complications and that his foot isn’t healing well at all. Maybe a chance as you say for LTI for the remainder of the year and open up a spot for the mid-season draft.

Webber said that Sandilands will return to the running track this week and that HB participated in match sim over the weekend so it looks like those two and SHill will make a run at it in the second half of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Interesting point you make:
14/05/19:”Weber said that defender Shane Kersten’s progress will be monitored due to challenges after foot surgery.”

07/05/19: “Weber said that defender Shane Kersten is recovering well from a recent foot surgery. He had a very strong run at the weekend and we look forward to seeing him back into some football training in the coming week or so.”

Does indeed sound like complications and that his foot isn’t healing well at all. Maybe a chance as you say for LTI for the remainder of the year and open up a spot for the mid-season draft.

Webber said that Sandilands will return to the running track this week and that HB participated in match sim over the weekend so it looks like those two and SHill will make a run at it in the second half of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or the complications occurred once he started running.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The club would only send Kersten to the LTI if he was absolutely cooked imo.

Kersten himself isn’t agreeing to season ending surgery unless there is otherwise zero chance of him playing this year anyway. If Kersten has season-ending surgery his AFL career and I highly doubt the guy doesn’t know it.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nice to see our injury list in such good shape - the only club with a shorter list at the moment is Brisbane.

After all the blood-letting early in the season it seems that things are actually not too bad. Of the 6 on the list, Ballas and Sandi are probably age-related. I suspect Stephen Hill may be another who is going to be subject to recurring soft tissue leg injuries. They are taking a very cautious approach with Sam Sturt which is great - this kid is a long term investment and should be given every protection. Kersten had an unfortunate foot issue which doesn't seem to be resolving as it should, but not sure he would be anything more than defensive depth now.

So pretty happy with the way the guys have got the list back up and running while other teams are falling off the injury cliff for a change!

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Zac Bailey put 3 weeks with a hammy, one NEAFL game, comes back in pings it first minute and out for 6 now

I thought that only Weber did that 🙄

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wandered over to the geelong website to check on dangers health for fantasy purposes last week and they are just running with either short, medium or long term classifications for their injuries

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crumpet Face on 6PR this morning:

Bennell - back to full training and was "sizzling" last Wednesday, pulled up well from the intraclub on the weekend and wants to play AFL before the Collingwood game (in the next 2 weeks).

Hilly - back to full training, if not this week, next week and will be on track to play footy after the round 12 bye. Running and kicking with no soreness.

Sandi - back running.

Kersten - still ecovering from foot injury.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
As if he’ll play afl again lol. Never going to happen.
Let's just imagine it's someone with all of Bennell's abilities and not Bennell. I would be more than happy bypassing all the WAFL and overcautious palaver and putting that person, who is not Bennell, straight into the bigs, given none of the aforementioned palaver has delivered squat so far in terms of his staying out on the park.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's just imagine it's someone with all of Bennell's abilities and not Bennell. I would be more than happy bypassing all the WAFL and overcautious palaver and putting that person, who is not Bennell, straight into the bigs, given none of the aforementioned palaver has delivered squat so far in terms of his staying out on the park.

It’s over. His body won’t hold up. Why are we still doing this? Move on.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s over. His body won’t hold up. Why are we still doing this? Move on.

Who? The person who isn't Harley? How could you possibly know?

The point was more about overly cautious approaches that haven't seemed to have held up for a number of injury-prone players across a decade or more at Freo.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
In my mind 50% game time from Bennell will most likely have a more positive impact on our side than 65-70% Colyer.

Forget WAFL, straight into the AFL side. Gotta risk it to get the biscuit *.

*If he injures himself in the first 5 minutes of play I still reserve the right to criticise the decision.

Back