Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
https://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-06-23/fremantle-dockers-injury-update

Hogan has a mid foot sprain, nothing serious.

Now the bad new.

Harley has done a CALF. He’s done. :(

Hill minor hammy strain.

Great news on Hogan, we need a break (etp). Bennell ended up being an expensive failed experiment and I suspect this may be a very sad way for S Hill to end his career. Even a minor strain means another month or so before we could trust him with game time, I'm not pencilling him in for finals action at this stage.

Does Fremantle need a commitment on Stephen Hill to give him his best possible look at 2020? If he is fit enough to play in three weeks and is the best player outside the team, do we pick him with a view to having him improve our chances of a finals berth this season or do we wrap him in cotton wool and have him right to go for a full preseason for 2020?

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
I was at the MCG on Saturday for the game and was shocked at how proppy S Hill looked from the very start of the game. It was a little slippery under foot no doubt but S Hill looked like he was scared to go at full pace or kick more than 30 meters. 1st quarter he had a kick within 40 meters of goal and passed it off, that is not what you want one of your best kicks doing.

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
we currently have 4 x 195cm+ ~100kg kpp who have developed different foot injuries.

All of whom happen to feature at or near the top of our highest time on ground % and ground covered stats.

The human body can only take so much.

Make Bhilly cover 15km in a game with a bag of cement strapped to his back and see how his feet feel after 1 game, let alone 10 consecutive games.

I'm really not sure its the conditioning staff so much as the roles these huge men are expected to perform, paired with the tireless workrate/indomitable spirit of the beasts.

Maybe Pav could teach em the difference between working smart and working hard so they can get some positive continuity to their footy?

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
we currently have 4 x 195cm+ ~100kg kpp who have developed different foot injuries.

All of whom happen to feature at or near the top of our highest time on ground % and ground covered stats.

The human body can only take so much.

Make Bhilly cover 15km in a game with a bag of cement strapped to his back and see how his feet feel after 1 game, let alone 10 consecutive games.

I'm really not sure its the conditioning staff so much as the roles these huge men are expected to perform, paired with the tireless workrate/indomitable spirit of the beasts.

Maybe Pav could teach em the difference between working smart and working hard so they can get some positive continuity to their footy?

Mundy could give a guest lecture on it too

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
A break would be Hogan and Lobb back for the Derby with them adding Natanui no doubt.

Wonder if it's possible. How long is a strain usually
Great news on Hogan, we need a break (etp). Bennell ended up being an expensive failed experiment and I suspect this may be a very sad way for S Hill to end his career. Even a minor strain means another month or so before we could trust him with game time, I'm not pencilling him in for finals action at this stage.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does Fremantle need a commitment on Stephen Hill to give him his best possible look at 2020? If he is fit enough to play in three weeks and is the best player outside the team, do we pick him with a view to having him improve our chances of a finals berth this season or do we wrap him in cotton wool and have him right to go for a full preseason for 2020?

I'd wrap him in cotton wool. We've tried bringing him back quickly for a couple of years now and it's failed every single time. I don't think you necessarily have to sit him for the rest of the year but I'd 100% be giving him a month off and then a 2-3 game stint in the WAFL before even considering him.

As we've seen from the past two games it's not like he offers much to the team when he's playing like he currently is anyway. Even if he's up for trade (unlikely imo) we're only reducing his value by playing him imo.

Last edited:

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
This thread is always a great exponent of the dunning-Krueger effect

Yet my hunch is you would post in this thread more frequently than most, with all manner of speculation passed off as fact. Not really sure I would be sneering at others with that record, but each to their own

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Yet my hunch is you would post in this thread more frequently than most, with all manner of speculation passed off as fact. Not really sure I would be sneering at others with that record, but each to their own
If you’re referring to when I report from sources I’d say I’ve not been wrong or speculating, mostly share through DMs though. Wilson’s back, Blakely’s shoulder, Pearce’s leg etc

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
SHill has done a hammy, it’s not the end of the world, it was a quad that’s kept him out all year, that had to be scraped to remove tissue. He missed all of pre season. So if it’s just a mild hammy now, then we should see him back and hopefully playing well in a month.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
each year 2016, 17 and 18 they put harley on Ice and tried to get him right for next year - it hasn't worked at all.

I'd rather Stephen play whenever he can, but prefer he comes back via the WAFL
Yep
I can’t see any point in putting shill on ice, for a standard hamstring strain, at the half way mark of the season.. in fact it borders on crazy talk

Yes , he’s been injury cursed for a bit but it’s his quads that have been the main problem plus he can still do another good block of training and still be back with a few games to go , hopefully helping us into the finals.

There’s also the small issue of shillys age, he ain’t getting any younger and I’d say he’d be wantyo play as much football as possible,one so he can win another decent pay cheque and two regardless he probably knows he wouldn’t have many years left.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
each year 2016, 17 and 18 they put harley on Ice and tried to get him right for next year - it hasn't worked at all.

I'd rather Stephen play whenever he can, but prefer he comes back via the WAFL
I'll qualify what I say with, I have zero medical training, but I was more referring to the fact that Harley is not representative of AFL players at large. Dude is just a walking calf injury. Shill up until a couple of years ago was very durable so not sure you can use anything that has failed for Harley to justify what happens for Shill given Harley is clearly a special case.

That said, I have no idea what actually gives Shill the best opportunity to get fully fit. Whatever it is, I want us to do that. I suspect it involves not rushing him back to football and especially not AFL.

Back