Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Weber been told to hit the road? No injury update last week, didn't see him on Saturday night and now Bell doing the injury update this week.

Bell had done the injury report at least 1 time before but given there was no update article/video last week there might be something going on

Bell seems to do the injury reports when someone important with a known injury risk gets injured (Lobb) and fans start asking questions about the s&c department. He is an intelligent communicator and does more with his facial expressions to convey sincerity compared to the Big Rugby Guy

Wow treatment for a ‘broken bone in the shoulder with significant ligament damage’ has really advanced since 7.57am... Really hope the Lobb injury is minor and he is a realistic chance this week.

If he's talking s**t, then is he actually accountable to anyone? Snozil won't call him out on it and nor will anyone else. The joy of being a hack journalist, say what you want, when you want and put a button camera on every sniffable chair.

Wow treatment for a ‘broken bone in the shoulder with significant ligament damage’ has really advanced since 7.57am... Really hope the Lobb injury is minor and he is a realistic chance this week.

Though we don't know what's going on half the time with club saying one thing, then having NFI and WA media making s**t up on top of that, in this case, I think club angle is about right. Minor sublux of shoulder can be dealt with fairly quickly, then its just a matter of how well it holds up under duress etc. - that's my limited understanding.

Especially a rebuilding side at that..

Agreed

And with it all the young heads, who would well and truly feel every close loss we have had, as opposed to other teams where they have majority in the 100-150 game club who have experienced those before and know how to react...

I expect almost every AFL player is managing a sore spot, niggle or ache like that by this point of the season.

The foot is something that you don’t want to * with though. We as a club should be very aware of that. He could barely walk after the game. It’s a bit different to sore spots and aching muscles.

We’d be crazy to continue sending him out after a jab. In fact, we were stupid to be doing it in the first place and is another example of our poorly run sports science dept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect almost every AFL player is managing a sore spot, niggle or ache like that by this point of the season.

The list wouldn’t be big enough to field 22
Agree, but getting a jab in the ankle to play is probably a step too far.

I think there is a line, and sometimes resting a player for a week or two mid year will mean they will be available and 100% fit later in the year.

I don't think we have found that line, and we appear to play injured players too often.

I think there is a line, and sometimes resting a player for a week or two mid year will mean they will be available and 100% fit later in the year.

I don't think we have found that line, and we appear to play injured players too often.

Everyone is playing injured players. Nic Nat goes off early, plays out the game but can't play for six weeks after? McGovern can't walk off the field without help, goes down into the rooms then is competing for the rest of the game. Those are just the ones that happen in the game. There would be a dozen or more players in the AFL this weekend who are nursing a spot on their back, or ribs, covered with a pad to keep it slightly protected and warmer.

Some of the older players can't walk up the stairs at their home until Wednesday. AFL is a brutal game, if you have a weakness either mentally or physically it will find it.

The foot is something that you don’t want to fu** with though. We as a club should be very aware of that. He could barely walk after the game. It’s a bit different to sore spots and aching muscles.

We’d be crazy to continue sending him out after a jab. In fact, we were stupid to be doing it in the first place and is another example of our poorly run sports science dept.

Do you know where in the foot the needle was, or what kind it was? If we are putting local anesthetic into a stress fracture hot spot that's obviously a problem and I agree with you in that circumstance, that's the one we are afraid of.

Then there are the circumstances where kicking has put a blood blister under the big toe and the swelling from that is painful but not dangerous. A jab in there will let you play out the game. There will be footage somewhere of Sam Docherty taking his boot off to reveal quite a bit of treatment to his toes, blood all through his boot from that exact situation.

Perhaps his peroneal tendons have caused a bit of localised inflammation, which causes more as it irritates the area around. If he is structurally sound, as the retinaculums holding it in place as it extends from the lower leg, around the back of the ankle and into the foot, are intact then a jab into there to cool off the inflammation will let him play it out.

Like I said, I expect every AFL player is carrying something by now. This is why the AFLPA would like a shorter season. It would drastically alter the shape of the game being able to partially remove a grinding endurance and mental toughness element from success.

The foot is something that you don’t want to fu** with though. We as a club should be very aware of that. He could barely walk after the game. It’s a bit different to sore spots and aching muscles.

Yeah no other clubs do that. Why do you write things as if FFC are the only club to do this, getting jabs to play happens in a lot of sports around the world let alone the AFL.
On top of that your not a professional S&C person nor a doctor so your opinion or knowledge of the issue/injury is ZERO.

I agree with foot injuries. It only makes the player unable to kick with any control over where it's going and mostly a liability anyhow.

Everyone is playing injured players. Nic Nat goes off early, plays out the game but can't play for six weeks after? McGovern can't walk off the field without help, goes down into the rooms then is competing for the rest of the game. Those are just the ones that happen in the game. There would be a dozen or more players in the AFL this weekend who are nursing a spot on their back, or ribs, covered with a pad to keep it slightly protected and warmer.

Some of the older players can't walk up the stairs at their home until Wednesday. AFL is a brutal game, if you have a weakness either mentally or physically it will find it.

Do you know where in the foot the needle was, or what kind it was? If we are putting local anesthetic into a stress fracture hot spot that's obviously a problem and I agree with you in that circumstance, that's the one we are afraid of.

Then there are the circumstances where kicking has put a blood blister under the big toe and the swelling from that is painful but not dangerous. A jab in there will let you play out the game. There will be footage somewhere of Sam Docherty taking his boot off to reveal quite a bit of treatment to his toes, blood all through his boot from that exact situation.

Perhaps his peroneal tendons have caused a bit of localised inflammation, which causes more as it irritates the area around. If he is structurally sound, as the retinaculums holding it in place as it extends from the lower leg, around the back of the ankle and into the foot, are intact then a jab into there to cool off the inflammation will let him play it out.

Like I said, I expect every AFL player is carrying something by now. This is why the AFLPA would like a shorter season. It would drastically alter the shape of the game being able to partially remove a grinding endurance and mental toughness element from success.
Eagles stuffed up playing Nic Nat and Duggan after they sustained high sydesmosis ankle injuries. Could have made serious injury more serious and incompetent IMO.

Dockers have no leg to stand on with their inabililty to diagnose and manage foot injuries when they say Hogan has a minor foot sprain and have him doing repeat sprints when it's a reoccurance of a navicular injury and he need an operation!

Eagles stuffed up playing Nic Nat and Duggan after they sustained high sydesmosis ankle injuries. Could have made serious injury more serious and incompetent IMO.

Dockers have no leg to stand on with their inabililty to diagnose and manage foot injuries when they say Hogan has a minor foot sprain and have him doing repeat sprints when it's a reoccurance of a navicular injury and he need an operation!
And this happens across all clubs. It's one of the reasons the concussion protocols being introduced above club level has resulted in such a great improvement in patient care. Players want to play, clubs want them to play.

There might be a time in the future where we have an injury sub and a much stricter policy in place regarding tapping out players, a no-jab/non-intervention policy for example, but the AFL is motivated on things like that by it's reputation being threatened and it's bottom line being threatened.

I went to the MCG Open Day held the day after the Hawthorn/Sydney GF in 2014. You could walk through the rooms and have a kick on the grass etc etc. Well the changerooms had been totaly cleared out, not one coat hanger remained. All that was left was the smell of sweat and some water on the floor of the showers. But in the medical rooms, I kid you not, the actual sharps container was still sitting there choc-full of what had to have been over a hundred used needles. One in each medical room.

A few things crossed my mind. There were kids running around everywhere and this was a hazard - so I raised it with security/chaperone who had NFI and just looked at me as if I was talking another language. And the second thought was amazement if all those needles had come from just one game. It was totally full of them. Perhaps it only got emptied once a month? Who knows.

tldr? everyone jabs players every game. (Moreso come finals too I spose.)

I went to the MCG Open Day held the day after the Hawthorn/Sydney GF in 2014. You could walk through the rooms and have a kick on the grass etc etc. Well the changerooms had been totaly cleared out, not one coat hanger remained. All that was left was the smell of sweat and some water on the floor of the showers. But in the medical rooms, I kid you not, the actual sharps container was still sitting there choc-full of what had to have been over a hundred used needles. One in each medical room.

A few things crossed my mind. There were kids running around everywhere and this was a hazard - so I raised it with security/chaperone who had NFI and just looked at me as if I was talking another language. And the second thought was amazement if all those needles had come from just one game. It was totally full of them. Perhaps it only got emptied once a month? Who knows.

tldr? everyone jabs players every game. (Moreso come finals too I spose.)
Imagine being one of the unlucky blokes who needs both groins jabbed up to run

Not fun

I'm pretty sure the plural of retinaculum is retinacula. And whilst I'm sure an injection in your retinaculum might be warranted, never let anyone near your gubernaculum with a needle. You can look it up and tell me if I'm wrong.

You know what, the game would be a hell of a lot better to watch if it wasn't played by hyper-athletes requiring needles to run 15km every week. Forget 6-6-6 and all the other tinkering, if they banned needles it might actually get some pleasant-to-watch footballers back on the park that use their brains and skills instead of artificially propped up endurance to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back