Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

LURKING FAN, HIDDEN POSTER: in the virgin lounge at tullamarine and post-op jesse and his travel partner are seated at the next table over. both seem relaxed and are having a laugh.

also, i have hundreds and hundreds of hours of experience being off my head in berlin nightclubs and can confirm neither jesse nor the mystery brunette accompanying him are under the influence of any illicit substances.

LURKING FAN, HIDDEN POSTER: in the virgin lounge at tullamarine and post-op jesse and his travel partner are seated at the next table over. both seem relaxed and are having a laugh.

also, i have hundreds and hundreds of hours of experience being off my head in berlin nightclubs and can confirm neither jesse nor the mystery brunette accompanying him are under the influence of any illicit substances.
Nice to hear from you again Ghost Pig

And this happens across all clubs. It's one of the reasons the concussion protocols being introduced above club level has resulted in such a great improvement in patient care. Players want to play, clubs want them to play.

There might be a time in the future where we have an injury sub and a much stricter policy in place regarding tapping out players, a no-jab/non-intervention policy for example, but the AFL is motivated on things like that by it's reputation being threatened and it's bottom line being threatened.
The only reason concussion protocols were introduced here were the post mortum studies from USA that directly linked brain damage in footballers to head knocks while playing. It has resulted in a great improvement I believe as well. These results have been publicised and actions, even in Australia have been taken.

However with giving jabs for other injuries there are possibly many lawsuits or settlements that ex-players have launched against their clubs or the AFL because of injury mismanagement and having them continue to play with injections may be part of this. However as far as I'm aware this isn't public knowledge and if it was it could be damaging for the AFL reputation. So what they (players and public?) don't know won't hurt them?.

I'd like to see injections on game day so players can continue to play banned, just like intravenous drips given to players have been.

The only reason concussion protocols were introduced here were the post mortum studies from USA that directly linked brain damage in footballers to head knocks while playing. It has resulted in a great improvement I believe as well. These results have been publicised and actions, even in Australia have been taken.

However with giving jabs for other injuries there are possibly many lawsuits or settlements that ex-players have launched against their clubs or the AFL because of injury mismanagement and having them continue to play with injections may be part of this. However as far as I'm aware this isn't public knowledge and if it was it could be damaging for the AFL reputation. So what they (players and public?) don't know won't hurt them?.

I'd like to see injections on game day so players can continue to play banned, just like intravenous drips given to players have been.
It definitely only changes when it looks bad.

There was a training session some years ago at Subiaco where the players had IV lines in to rehydrate faster from running in the Perth summer heat.

Wasn't us...

I don’t think they did it on the field. Got in trouble from AFL doing it at half time from memory.

Yeah, pretty sure that's right, 2001. AFL then made a rule which said players could not engage in such things (IV for rehydration) unless there was more than 24 hours before they played their game. So you could do it after a game or mid-weak training, but not before or during a game.

With that, was there a team it them that also did it mid flight? Seems to ring a bell, might be confused.

Yeah, pretty sure that's right, 2001. AFL then made a rule which said players could not engage in such things (IV for rehydration) unless there was more than 24 hours before they played their game. So you could do it after a game or mid-weak training, but not before or during a game.

With that, was there a team it them that also did it mid flight? Seems to ring a bell, might be confused.
Brisbane again.

They also flew a lower altitude from memory

They were playing with cannulars (sp?) taped up during games. Tour de Brisbane.

That was what was reported at the time but in typical media fashion I think they might have over-sensationalised it.

This is a statement from Brisbane someone posted in the BF thread at the time:

Most importantly, the Brisbane Lions wish to correct a gross inaccuracy in some media reports today which suggest ‘players have a plastic shunt inserted in their arm before games to allow the drip to be immediately inserted at halftime’.

This is totally and utterly false, and is a practice that would not under any circumstances be considered by Lions medical staff.

Also worth noting it was around the lions 3 peat team , that had a higher salary cap and had smashed up poor :'( eddies pies 2 years running in the GFs so vic media (championed by Eddie, surprise surprise)was desperate to paint anything Brisbane in any negative light /unfair to the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After half time though?

That would have been dressing the sites to avoid infection.

I can't remember whether it was before or after half time. I thought I remembered seeing a raised element on the inside of the arm, but that could definitely be bad memory plus imagination.

Either way, the Lions tried something cutting edge and we're stopped by the AFL as they decided it was a bad look for the game, even though it didn't breach any code.

Disclaimer: I knew a player from that era, so my recollection could be a mix of chat & visual observation

I couldn't imagine anyone being willing to play with something inserted in their arm. It's in a pretty delicate area that would present a danger of being impacted and ripped out while tackling.

Any benefit to hydration would surely be cancelled out by making you more tentative to go in for a tackle.

I couldn't imagine anyone being willing to play with something inserted in their arm. It's in a pretty delicate area that would present a danger of being impacted and ripped out while tackling.

Any benefit to hydration would surely be cancelled out by making you more tentative to go in for a tackle.

Yeah, agreed.

Hang on. The needle was taped to their arm during the game and they connected to a drip when they were on the bench, during breaks?!

Interesting that Harley managed to find a 'calf guru' within a month of leaving us.

It might lead to nothing for Harley (although I hope the op works) but why don't I trust that our club knew all the options and 'calf guru's' out there?

Interesting that Harley managed to find a 'calf guru' within a month of leaving us.

It might lead to nothing for Harley (although I hope the op works) but why don't I trust that our club knew all the options and 'calf guru's' out there?
That’s truly astounding, just another nail in the coffin for the SC mob.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back