Injury Injuries 2021

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For me it’s because we are honestly a massive shot at a premiership. I believe us at full strength are as good as anyone.

While he isn’t our best player, he’s extremely important to our structure and as a result our chances have dipped IMO (not saying we can’t do it still)

We have great midfield depth but replacing quality key position players is a real challenge.
Yep and it’s next year as well. Deflating.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully Juice can get an early start on rehab and be back in the frame around the bye next year. First and foremost he needs to step back and spend time with his family, we are all behind you Josh!

From a list perspective I'm not sure if much will change this off-season. Darcy will still get picked up while we may take a flyer on a mature age body (not many of them around though).

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Gutted for Bruce. Has obviously worked so hard to get here, going down on the eve of the finals and a big flag tilt is devastating for him.

Hope he makes a strong quick recovery and manages to get back next season.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
The biggest unknown for us at the moment (and potential finals X factor) is Martin.

Will he return? Or is he cooked?

Are they quietly putting work into him while he makes good progress with a 4-6 week tilt at a flag?

If he plays r23, and we win our finals, it would be 4 games in 6 weeks. Can his body hold up to this?

Would love to know what’s really going on?

Edit - I’m sort of leaning towards Martin not being totally cooked for the year as he probably would have retired if that was the case. There must be some chance he could return…

Last edited:

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Did anyone else hear the comment the other week about Martin I can’t remember which show it was but someone said he had hip and groin issues and they mentioned OP? Didn’t anyone else hear that? And was it a person who might know?

I thought Gerard Healy said Martin had OP during the game last week.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Western Bulldogs could have four important players back at their disposal for this weekend’s clash against Hawthorn.

Key defenders Alex Keath (hamstring) and Ryan Gardner (shoulder) could both be in the mix after injury layoffs.

“Alex has made fantastic progress following his minor hamstring injury. He’ll come back into full training this week and if he ticks our final boxes, he’ll return to availability,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“(Ryan) has been incredibly diligent following his surgery and if he gets through training this week, I expect him to return to playing.”

The Bulldogs could also regain forwards Mitch Hannan (shoulder) and Cody Weightman (managed).

The pair would be welcome additions to help offset the loss of Josh Bruce, with the star goal-kicker set for surgery later this week following a season-ending ACL injury.

“Cody had some persisting general soreness last week… he has improved and again, if he gets through training this week, I expect him to return to playing,” Bell said.

“Mitch had a contact shoulder injury in the dying seconds of the Adelaide game. We’ll put him through his paces this week before we determine his availability.”

Forward-turned-defender Josh Schache will also be a test this week after hyper-extending his knee in Sunday’s loss to Essendon.

“He did complete the game and scans have cleared him of any serious structural damage,” Bell said.

“We’ll work through a process with Josh this week to determine his availability.”

Injury list
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) – test
Mitch Hannan (shoulder) – test
Alex Keath (hamstring) – test
Josh Schache (knee) – test
Cody Weightman (shoulder) – test
Louis Butler (calf) – 1-2 weeks
Stefan Martin (groin/hip) – 1-2 weeks
Josh Bruce (knee) – season
Toby McLean (knee) – season

The Western Bulldogs could have four important players back at their disposal for this weekend’s clash against Hawthorn.

Key defenders Alex Keath (hamstring) and Ryan Gardner (shoulder) could both be in the mix after injury layoffs.

“Alex has made fantastic progress following his minor hamstring injury. He’ll come back into full training this week and if he ticks our final boxes, he’ll return to availability,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“(Ryan) has been incredibly diligent following his surgery and if he gets through training this week, I expect him to return to playing.”

The Bulldogs could also regain forwards Mitch Hannan (shoulder) and Cody Weightman (managed).

The pair would be welcome additions to help offset the loss of Josh Bruce, with the star goal-kicker set for surgery later this week following a season-ending ACL injury.

“Cody had some persisting general soreness last week… he has improved and again, if he gets through training this week, I expect him to return to playing,” Bell said.

“Mitch had a contact shoulder injury in the dying seconds of the Adelaide game. We’ll put him through his paces this week before we determine his availability.”

Forward-turned-defender Josh Schache will also be a test this week after hyper-extending his knee in Sunday’s loss to Essendon.

“He did complete the game and scans have cleared him of any serious structural damage,” Bell said.

“We’ll work through a process with Josh this week to determine his availability.”

Injury list
Sounds like we weren't too far off having two Joshes doing an ACL.
He may not be a walk-up start when everyone else is fit but I sure hope Schache comes through OK.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Injury list
God we need this.

Hopefully we can get VDM back at some stage too..
Hopefully Martin for finals. At least that time frame suggests so

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
God we need this.

Hopefully we can get VDM back at some stage too..
Hopefully Martin for finals. At least that time frame suggests so
VDM is purely a form decision now, has been off the injury list for a few weeks now. This is good news though, whether they are ready this weekend or not.

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
as much as weve had bad luck, with no more injuries we'll be down to 2 or so injuries soon
Injury list
Cody Weightman (managed) – test

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hope we be cautious with keath and give him an extra week especially if Gardner is right to go this week.

Good to see Martin now only 1-2 weeks after being 2-3 weeks for a while now.
We need Keathy back ASAP, he sets up our defensive structure to make the doggies be one of the best defensive units in the AFL.
Also he will be of immense help for Schache down back.

Wow, if this is actually from today....

1628754737101.png

Gardner definitely available, Martin and Schache seem likely too.

Injury list
Louis Butler (calf) – available
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) – available
Stefan Martin (groin/hip) – test

Back