Injury Injuries 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we have a few on the injury list already so we might as well get this thread under way for 2021.

As of today (23 Jan) I'm aware of the following:

• Toby McLean (ACL rehab) - has started running - indefinite
  • Josh Schache (ankle ligaments) - ??
  • Riley Garcia (knee arthroscopy) - ?? - did someone say 5 weeks?
  • Mitch Hannan (groin) - likely to miss start of season
I think somebody said there were a few who had minor surgery over the summer and were not yet in full training. Anyone remember who they were?

And so it begins ... :(

Tom Williams has done his groin and Dale Morris has broken his back in six places so his training is being monitored and is doing restricted contact work, albeit at full running capacity.

Pinched from FROGGR 's post in the pre-season thread:

western-bulldogs.jpg

Medical Room
Recruit Mitch Hannan looks set to miss the start of the season as he's eased into training dealing with a groin injury that hampered his previous campaign at Melbourne. Key forward Josh Schache is likely to be out of action for a few weeks after suffering an ankle ligament injury during Friday's match simulation. Second-year midfielder Riley Garcia will also be on light duties for the next six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on the same knee that was reconstructed before arriving at the club. Toby McLean is making rapid progress from the ACL he ruptured in September, returning to light running this week.

We are the kings of recruiting crocks. At this rate Garcia and Hannan won’t play.

Garcia was always a speculative pick and a gamble

Hannan couldn’t get a game at the demons I struggle to work out how people think he will help us even if he is fit. Will Hayes Mark 2 imo

Both turned out alright and I also Don’t really understand the dislike of the recruitment of Hannan he will be a good pick up also

Recruiting fringe players from teams that consistently make finals is not the same as recruiting blokes that can’t get a game in bottom 6 teams.

Hannan is an Ok depth option but not best 22 unless we are going backwards.

Recruiting fringe players from teams that consistently make finals is not the same as recruiting blokes that can’t get a game in bottom 6 teams.

I think rules like that are unhelpful. At the end of the day you should recruit players who will improve your team.

All teams tend to recruit players that are fringe players. Some work out really well, others are total potatoes. It is a gamble. When it works the recruiters are geniuses, when it doesn't they are morons.

None of the listed guys were walk-ups for best 22 this year. Even Mclean had his rough patches last year. Such a shame with him going down as it looked like it had finally clicked for him.

Easton Wood - "low grade" hamstring strain 3-4 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easton Wood - "low grade" hamstring strain 3-4 weeks

I swear this happens every pre-season for him now. Not major, but I think it’s nearly time for the fork for Woody :(

I'm sure it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I have no idea why we extended Wood for two years. He's been at the stage of rolling one year contracts for a couple of years now, and this should be no different. He probably isn't in my best 22 anymore with the emergence of Williams and Crozier as the medium defenders who can play taller.

I'm sure it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I have no idea why we extended Wood for two years. He's been at the stage of rolling one year contracts for a couple of years now, and this should be no different. He probably isn't in my best 22 anymore with the emergence of Williams and Crozier as the medium defenders who can play taller.
Absolutely agree, but can only imagine there's an agreement in place for Wood to step into a development coaching role in his second year of the contract if he needs to step aside. Follow the same path as Morris. Ex-captains tend to do well in coaching

Perhaps not an issue for the team at the moment, but it sure as hell will become an issue if we lose a few more.

With all three of Wood, Cordy and Gardner down back we look too slow anyway. And don't forget we have Dureya and Louis Butler also looking for spots.

With all three of Wood, Cordy and Gardner down back we look too slow anyway. And don't forget we have Dureya and Louis Butler also looking for spots.
I like the look of Butler, pretty keen to see him take JJ's spot if he moves forward.

Gardner is actually quite quick, which I'm hoping he starts demonstrating assuming we're playing him again this year.

Perhaps not an issue for the team at the moment, but it sure as hell will become an issue if we lose a few more.
Just have to think back to the lead up to the first test of the summer. We were set for openers with Warner and Pucovsky. Then Puc gets a ball to the head, then Warner does a groin ....... and Joe Burns is the great hope . it can all change very quickly.

We are the kings of recruiting crocks. At this rate Garcia and Hannan won’t play.
Agree with this. in terms of the current lockdown and picking injured prone players I am not happy Jan. the recruitment department should have a hard look at themselves and also at their risk assessment strategy, bc the way it is looking it is garbage. per_loco on steroids and the rest. faken!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back