Injury Injuries 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Bobby.png

Bobby Hill has made a brief return to the GIANTS but a playing comeback remains uncertain after last week's surgery following his testicular cancer diagnosis.

The 22-year-old saw teammates at the GIANTS' Olympic Park base on Friday for the first time since his operation. "His surgery went really well and he's in really good spirits," GIANTS veteran Callan Ward said. "I think he'll spend a couple of weeks away from the football club but he has a big smile on his face and it's great to see him here today."

Hill has to avoid sweating for two weeks because of the wound from the operation but will slowly build up his fitness program from there. He will start with cross-training before resuming running and weights sessions next month. That plan leaves the door open for a playing return at some stage this season but Hill's health remains the priority as GIANTS players and staff rally around him. "In terms of a return to play, at the moment I don't think it really matters for him," Ward said. "He's trying to get everything else right and when that will be, it will be."

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Tough midfielder Harry Perryman has been released from hospital on Monday morning following a brutal collision in Sunday’s win over North Melbourne.

The 23-year-old came from the field in the second quarter and was taken to hospital at half-time. Scans on Sunday night revealed four broken ribs, which will sideline Perryman indefinitely. He has been cleared of any internal injuries at this stage but will continue to be monitored over the coming weeks.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Any chance we think HH's emergence down back sort of leaves Haynes without a role? HH plays that interceptor floating role while being a significantly better distributor, think it explains why Haynes was playing VFL this week instead of seniors if you think he was ready to go at the AFL level. Still think Haynes gets named this week if he's ready but think its possibility, when he's right he's too good to leave out.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Any chance we think HH's emergence down back sort of leaves Haynes without a role? HH plays that interceptor floating role while being a significantly better distributor, think it explains why Haynes was playing VFL this week instead of seniors if you think he was ready to go at the AFL level. Still think Haynes gets named this week if he's ready but think its possibility, when he's right he's too good to leave out.
Have had this thought. I think it puts a lot more pressure on Idun to keep his spot. It essentially comes down to whether they think HH can hold down key back or third tall. Key back and Phil/Keefe miss out and third tall Idun misses out.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Any chance we think HH's emergence down back sort of leaves Haynes without a role?

Have had this thought. I think it puts a lot more pressure on Idun to keep his spot.
Yes, I had the same view. If Haynes' form is still seen to be off where he was (and needs to be), then HH keeps that interceptor role, and Haynes only way back in comes from replacing Idun. Idun has plateaued IMHO recently, especially his kicking/rebounding, and Haynes (at his best) kicks better. But can he bring that form to displace Idun? I suspect not at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, I had the same view. If Haynes' form is still seen to be off where he was (and needs to be), then HH keeps that interceptor role, and Haynes only way back in comes from replacing Idun. Idun has plateaued IMHO recently, especially his kicking/rebounding, and Haynes (at his best) kicks better. But can he bring that form to displace Idun? I suspect not at this point.
Idun's disposal is quite poor, under Leon it didn't really hurt us because the build up was much slower and conservative but not with playing much faster on McVeigh it's more difficult to mask his poor use

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Idun's disposal is quite poor, under Leon it didn't really hurt us because the build up was much slower and conservative but not with playing much faster on McVeigh it's more difficult to mask his poor use
Which opens the door for Haynes if he can recapture his kicking form (fourth player a Patfull-type); potentially Cam Fleeton to get a chance to show what he can do; or possibly even Callum Brown, who's played on taller types, but also has speed (though unsure if his kicking is good enough for first grade).

Not that I think Idun will be dropped this week.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Idun is a lockdown defender and probably in the top 15 lock down medium defenders in the league he ain't getting dropped. Haynes is anything but lock down. Haynes would only be coming in for 1 player and 1 player only and that is Himmelberg and IMO Haynes isn't what he used to be. He looked really lost before he had a rest.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Look at the talent on that list... Don't you love a TBC? Seriously give us some clarity GWS! Is Daniels going to break the record for most games out due to a hamstring injury during his career? He would have to be closing in on 50 games lost due to hamstring and it saddens me to see but Conor Stone is trending in the same direction.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 6.11.46 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 6.11.46 am.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 42
Haynes is anything but lock down.
Haynes has played successfully as a traditional KPD many times over the years. He's been elite as a loose man, but when he's had to man up due to injuries and we've been short on bodies down back he's done a very credible job - he can stick with an opponent with his agility and ball sense, and is good at getting a spoil in. His main deficiency would be manning up on the big bodied forwards like Hawkins, but we've got Sam Taylor for that anyway.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think HH can defend as well, just hasn't needed to yet. When Davis and Taylor were playing so well as key backs their marking was their strength and he has the added bonus of being a better kick than those two. Haynes and Harry can easily play together in the back 6 and it makes us better to transition quicker.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think HH can defend as well, just hasn't needed to yet. When Davis and Taylor were playing so well as key backs their marking was their strength and he has the added bonus of being a better kick than those two. Haynes and Harry can easily play together in the back 6 and it makes us better to transition quicker.
Taylor
Haynes
Idun
Phil
HH
Cumming

This could end up being the back 6 this week and think that's a solid group with a good mix of intercepting/lockdown and distribution.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn’t say it’s poor at all. He will never kick it like Isaac, but he doesn’t need to. With Harry and Isaac there we have two of the best in the comp. He just needs to play his negating role. I think he’s great… at 191 and a super strong body for his age, he can play multiple roles. Plus he’s sneaky quick.

Haynes has played successfully as a traditional KPD many times over the years. He's been elite as a loose man, but when he's had to man up due to injuries and we've been short on bodies down back he's done a very credible job - he can stick with an opponent with his agility and ball sense, and is good at getting a spoil in. His main deficiency would be manning up on the big bodied forwards like Hawkins, but we've got Sam Taylor for that anyway.
absolutely.
Haynes has played as an accountable defender well an awful lot. Often as a second key defender.
He could comfortably go into Idun's role if required, or even Keefe's role.
I really like Idun, always have, but he definitely stunts our attack. In his defense, he plays within his limitations and rarely goes for too much, but he goes backwards and sideways far more than necessary and usually slowly.
An anywhere near fit Haynes can not be in 2's behind Idun (or Keefe)

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
If Haynes wasn’t named Nick Haynes, you would not be picking him on the back of his VFL performance. He was there, and he played, and that’s about all you can say. He certainly wasn’t a stand-out, or even particularly noticeable.

That said, he played pretty much exclusively on the wing (mostly away from the action which seemed to go up and down the wing he wasn’t on), so there’s that I suppose.

He seemed, to me, a bit out of form before they lay-off and I’m not too sure how many cobwebs got blown out by the game against North.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Not looking good for Sundays game

No MDB
Angwin broken fibula
Peatling 2-3 weeks with a hammy

Everyone’s punching bag Brander likely to get another game

Preuss nothing major with his ankle luckily but still misses because of the suspension

Briggs missed yesterday with illness so will be needed for the pies game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back