Injury Injuries 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
(sigh) Hopefully a nice and short thread this year.

The club has just reported Gardner will miss the start of the season with an elbow injury: Injury Update: Ryan Gardner

A report on February 24 (AFL Injury List 2023: Essendon veteran in doubt for round one) showed the injury list to look like this:

NameInjuryEstimated Return
Dominic BedendoLegTBC
Jedd BusslingerShoulderTBC
Charlie ClarkeBackTBC
Laitham VandameerLeg2 months

An early question of the medical staff? Gardner already had his elbow bandaged, injured it in a marking contest and ran off the ground clutching it in pain. 5 minutes later he was seen back playing on the ground.

An early question of the medical staff? Gardner already had his elbow bandaged, injured it in a marking contest and ran off the ground clutching it in pain. 5 minutes later he was seen back playing on the ground.

He'd been reportedly having hyperextension issues over the summer.

A few weeks ago we only had Jed not available for round 1 who would not have played.

Now we have Gardner, VDM, Bebendo, probably JJ and maybe Cody unavailable for round 1. Not terrible but we do not want anymore.

Is Josh Bruce a lock for round one with the injuries to O'Brien and Gardner?

Not sure - Gardiner is very mobile, Khamis might be considered for the third tall defender role now.
I was thinking the very slim Alex Keath would play that role now with Bruce being the second banana down back, but definitely didn't think of Khamis.

Not a lock. Not sure the balance of all 3 Jones, Keath, Bruce is right. Feels cumbersome. I’m biased in that I just don’t see the Bruce down back thing.

Agree. I think we're more likely to go with Cleary who is not a bad match for Fritsch.
I guess it depends on whether the Dees go with two rucks and play one of Gawn or Grundy as forward.

We don’t have a like for like replacement for Gardner. I think Darcy makes more sense as a direct replacement for that role than Bruce. Bruce in would probably require him to play deepest and Jones to play higher. It’s not a bad option, just not my preference.

I don’t think I’d want to see someone inexperienced like Cleary on Fritsch. He’s by far their best forward. He torched a similarly inexperienced Khamis for a half last year. I’m not sure what the approach will be other than trusting Richards/Duryea/Dale will do the job at times. A genuine medium defender is a real gap for us since Williams’ move to the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t have a like for like replacement for Gardner. I think Darcy makes more sense as a direct replacement for that role than Bruce. Bruce in would probably require him to play deepest and Jones to play higher. It’s not a bad option, just not my preference.

I don’t think I’d want to see someone inexperienced like Cleary on Fritsch. He’s by far their best forward. He torched a similarly inexperienced Khamis for a half last year. I’m not sure what the approach will be other than trusting Richards/Duryea/Dale will do the job at times. A genuine medium defender is a real gap for us since Williams’ move to the wing.
100% agree, Khamis got spanked by Fritsch because he ball watches to much when he plays down back. That’s all well and good if you’re playing on a nobody but a smart forward is going to get away all the time and make you pay. Maybe Crozier needs to be more lockdown than interceptor to play on the dangerous types and reinvent his career?

Not a lock. Not sure the balance of all 3 Jones, Keath, Bruce is right. Feels cumbersome. I’m biased in that I just don’t see the Bruce down back thing.
Agreed.

I'd rather just play just Keath + Jones as key defenders rather than bring Bruce in.

His decision making/kicking coming out defence is woeful.

Khamis would be a better option. Ideally we would ease Khamis into the season after a few games in the VFL instead of throwing him into the furnace straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back