Injury Injuries 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones is done. Came over the radio this morning. Fracture worst than first thought šŸ¤¦
Isn't the "worse than they first thought" that the club was hoping that it might be 4-6 weeks, and instead it's approx 8-10? Or has there been an update on the update?

If it's 9-10 weeks, he can still keep his fitness up, and slot straight in after the finals week bye - not a disaster given 4-6 weeks was what many expected to be the minimum.

Isn't the "worse than they first thought" that the club was hoping that it might be 4-6 weeks, and instead it's approx 8-10? Or has there been an update on the update?

If it's 9-10 weeks, he can still keep his fitness up, and slot straight in after the finals week bye - not a disaster given 4-6 weeks was what many expected to be the minimum.
Yes it's 8 - 10.

Could just be 7 games and the bye.

It's not season over

Try 20 years ago if it is the same game you are referring to ? Time flies

11 05 2003?

Peter Rhode coach explains heaps so half expected.

Rhode era tested my resolve supporting the Dogs.
I was there that day. It was awful! I remember ringing 3aw and telling Rex Hint that if Rhode was still the coach I would not renew my membership. The coach was not renewed his contract. He was awful.

Yes it's 8 - 10.

Could just be 7 games and the bye.

It's not season over
I predict Jones is back for the game against Hawthorn August 13. He fills the back in the backline, win this game, make the eight and march all the way to the Premiership. We are playing satisfactorily and we can improve quiet alot.

Thatā€™s huge in the context of our season, weā€™ve missed him so badly
I should note that this info has come straight from AFL.com.au

The Dogs have returned from the bye and will focus on how to replace Liam Jones and Tim Oā€™Brien this weekend. Sam Darcy could be right to resume his season after fracturing his jaw in the VFL. Ed Richards has returned from the week away in great condition and is pushing to return next Friday night against Collingwood, although he might need another week. Jason Johannisen is still at least a few weeks away. ā€“ Josh Gabelich

Update on the injury list

Riley Garcia (groin) ā€“ test
Ed Richards (hamstring) ā€“ test
Harvey Gallagher (finger) ā€“ test
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) ā€“ 2-3 weeks
Toby McLean (lower back) ā€“ 2-4 weeks
Hayden Crozier (hamstring) ā€“ 6-8 weeks
Liam Jones (forearm) ā€“ 6-8 weeks
Tim Oā€™Brien (hamstring) ā€“ 6-8 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot) ā€“ indefinite

Gardner looks good to play and mclean set to return through the vfl.
B. Smith likely misses
In fantastic news Jones could be back in 3 weeks.
Edit to add bedendo injured his groin in his first game back for the year and could very well miss the rest of the season.

Geez that Jones timeline has changed and has essentially lost 2 weeks. I'm not completely unsurprised though. You can tell reasonably early if bones are healing faster than expected. Unfortunately JJ hasn't progressed his timeline from last week despite some unconfirmed reports that he was pushing a return this week which means his training over the weekend didn't go to plan.

Bedendo may as well be shut down for the season. He's clearly having persistent groin loading issues and the focus now should purely be on getting his body right for day 1 of preseason.
*EDIT - It looks like the injury to Bedendo was a nasty acute injury from the weekend rather than the loading issues.

Rough for Bedendo, does he get another year? Baker re-signing and Poulter coming in (who is a few months younger and a similar height to Bedendo which amazes me) might make him surplus to requirements depending on who we are thinking of drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rough for Bedendo, does he get another year? Baker re-signing and Poulter coming in (who is a few months younger and a similar height to Bedendo which amazes me) might make him surplus to requirements depending on who we are thinking of drafting.
I'd love to keep him because he has shown great signs. But list changes have to be made.

Maybe a re-rookie?

Lots of others that could be moved on before him. Roarke has also been injured all year, has played a similar position and is older as one example.
Bedendo is an absolute no-brainer to keep, it shouldn't even be a question. There's about 10 I'd move on ahead of him.

Would be ok with another year for Bedendo. But to survive missing a whole year with injury you have to be of a certain talent level that Iā€™m unsure heā€™s at. High ceiling with his size and athleticism, but thatā€™s all he has at this point.

Certainly as mentioned there many others Iā€™d see off before him. Roarke for example basically has those Jong injury genes, I see no value in having him around for another year sitting on the injury list.

Give Bedendo one more year to prove this is the exception and his body can hold up or he gets the axe too imo.

No point keeping someone who can't get on the park.
Like the look of him early but he's barely played since.
I'd say the medicos would have a big say.

If they are confident they can get him right for a big preseason, then he's a definite re-rookie given the potential shown.

If they feel his issues are problematic longer term, then maybe we play him at Footscray, with a view to re-signing him at AFL level once he shows his body is up to the workload.

Although Im getting Fergus Greene like vibes from Bedendo's ability to get on the park.

I'd still punt other lower ceiling players before him and offer him another 1 year extension.

Although Im getting Fergus Greene like vibes from Bedendo's ability to get on the park.

I'd still punt other lower ceiling players before him and offer him another 1 year extension.
All things being equal there are at least 8-10 players I'd rather see go than Bedendo. But most of them have ******* contracts beyond this year!

All things being equal there are at least 8-10 players I'd rather see go than Bedendo. But most of them have ******* contracts beyond this year!
He seems an obvious candidate for putting on the rookie list. There's plenty with very high opinions on him, but realistically he's produced very little and has missed a lot of footy through injury. He'll be lucky to stay on the main list if we're wanting to make any significant changes

This. A fair few players have had heaps more opportunities to show their ability over a period of years, without any more growth. Coupled with some, where the game has gone past them.

I'd rather give more time to a player who has been unfortunate with injuries, shown some glimpses at AFL level, and yet to have their full potential unlocked. Than someone who has been in the system for years more, and their limitations have been from not injury.

I rate him and Cleary. Just worried the club will find a way to stuff it up, and keep Roarke, Croz, and McComb instead.

Bedendo is an absolute no-brainer to keep, it shouldn't even be a question. There's about 10 I'd move on ahead of him.
Agree. If he was at another club going through the trials heā€™s currently having and they delisted him we would have people here clamouring to sign him as a DFA.

And rightly so. If he can get his body right (and thereā€™s no obvious reason why he couldnā€™t) he has shown the potential to be a regular senior player.

Heā€™s still very young. Thereā€™s a much higher chance of success with a known quantity like that than with a speculative late pick.

I'd move Bedendo to the rookie list, clearly has talent but can't get out there. Probably more value than a late speculative pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back