Injury Injuries 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

AJ will debut 100% bevo will be doing everything he can to try and get some energy and excitement into the playing group.

Really don’t see debuting aj as a good move. Can’t recall a player debuting 1 week after returning from injury.

Let him get some touch in the reserves. If he looks clean in the 2s give him a go.

I'm on the injury list now.. had two fingers slammed in a door more than 2 months ago and one nail had alot of blood under it all the way under the skin past the nail.

All of a sudden it is like paper thin to touch and it's starting to bleed... might lose it with nothing coming through:(

(sigh) Hopefully a nice and short thread this year.

The club has just reported Gardner will miss the start of the season with an elbow injury: Injury Update: Ryan Gardner

A report on February 24 (AFL Injury List 2023: Essendon veteran in doubt for round one) showed the injury list to look like this:

NameInjuryEstimated Return
Dominic BedendoLegTBC
Jedd BusslingerShoulderTBC
Charlie ClarkeBackTBC
Laitham VandameerLeg2 months

Take me back to a month ago with the pre-season optimism and no best 22 injuries to be concerned about

Injury List:

Taylor Duryea (illness): available
Cody Weightman (groin) 1-2 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 2-4 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot): TBC
Dom Bedendo (groin): indefinite

No mystery injuries popping up this week with Cody targeting a return in round 5 which is positive news.

Bulldogs energetic forward Cody Weightman is closing in on a return after battling an adductor complaint during the past month.

The 22-year-old is targeting Gather Round against the Power as his first game of the season, needing to get through a number of training sessions over the next fornight before being considered for selection.

We have been very calculated and systematic in Cody’s conservative progressions over the last three weeks to make sure that we build durability and adaptation in the area that he was suffering some overload issues,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“He is now in the final stages of his rehab plan – and will be exposed to our full training loads this week.

“If he is able to tolerate these full training loads, he will be exposed to a game-like training session this weekend, ahead of hopefully returning to availability the following week.”

Taylor Duryea missed last weekend’s narrow victory over Brisbane through illness, but will be available this Saturday.

Taylor Duryea became unwell towards the back end of the week, so unfortunately had to miss the game last week,” Bell said.

“He has now fully recovered and trained well today – so he will return to availability for this weekend.”

Roarke Smith continues to recover from a plantar fascia injury with his return to play timeline still unclear.

“Roarke started to progress his running loads and unfortunately he is again battling some plantar fasica symptoms in his foot,” Bell said.

“As we know from managing this type of injury previously, it can be volatile and slow to settle – making it hard for us to be categoric in setting accurate return to play timelines.

“We will need to be patient and wait for the area to fully heal before we get him back on his feet and work towards getting him back into some running.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Cody comes back I hope we don’t instantly drop Jones. Need a duo act.
I'm no doctor but I'd like to see Cody come back through the VFL and build up towards a return. Don't like the idea of him rushing back when we have Port and Freo away, especially that Optus surface.

I'm no doctor but I'd like to see Cody come back through the VFL and build up towards a return. Don't like the idea of him rushing back when we have Port and Freo away, especially that Optus surface.

Oh I don’t mean this week or anything, just when he is ready. I want both in. Not one or the other.

Bevo said yesterday that Bailey Smith is out for two games ... and he's not sure about after that so it could even be more.
Not travelling with the squad to Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back