Injury Injury and fitness thread 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me cynical but it doesn’t sound good. Could be out for at least the first month of the regular season.

Hope he bounces back well

I never expected Doedee to play in Round One. Returning to AFL exactly one year after doing an ACL is rare.

He has not been involved in the internal trials/matchplay and why should he be rushed? I would prefer for him to play a few SANFL matches before returning to the AFL. He is a key part of our future and so what if it costs us top spot at the end of the minor round :rolleyes:.

It is more difficult for a ruckman or a marking forward/defender to return from an ACL than a midfielder. So in my opinion there should be no Ifs but plenty of Butts.

Last edited:
I assume this is the right thread to post it...anyone heard how McPherson is going?

Does this sound like he is unlikely to be a round one selection, or does it depend upon how he goes if he actually does play the final Marsh community series?

“However, we will need take into account our upcoming playing schedule, including SANFL trial games, with a view to him returning in the early rounds of the season.”

“early rounds” is up to about round 5. Expect him after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never expected Doedee to play in Round One. Returning to AFL exactly one year after doing an ACL is rare.

He has not been involved in the internal trials/matchplay and why should he be rushed? I would prefer for him to play a few SANFL matches before returning to the AFL. He is a key part of our future and so what if it costs us topmot at the end of the minor round :rolleyes:.

It is more difficult for a ruckman or a marking forward/defender to return from an ACL than a midfielder. So in my opinion there should be no Ifs but plenty of Butts.
I agree with the sentiments that there is no need to rush Doedee back, particularly this year where we can benefit in him doing more rehab and meanwhile allow others to be given opportunities down in defense.

I would like to argue though, returning to AFL after a player does an ACL within 12 months isn’t rare. It’s probably more the mean average, than a rare statistic.
The perfect point of return would probably depend on a multitude of factors, and the genetics of the individual.

Can't remember him missing games for the Falcons or Vic Country in those 2 years so I doubt soft tissue injuries are going to be an ongoing issue. Didn't they say his issues were more related to his back so they've been working on his core according to Neddy
This is encouraging news if true. I just would like to add, there’s more an element of complexity as you move from a “boy’s competition” to a “men’s competition” (AFL). Hope he goes well at the start of this season, as I’m keen to follow his progress.

I agree with the sentiments that there is no need to rush Doedee back, particularly this year where we can benefit in him doing more rehab and meanwhile allow others to be given opportunities down in defense.

I would like to argue though, returning to AFL after a player does an ACL within 12 months isn’t rare. It’s probably more the mean average, than a rare statistic.
The perfect point of return would probably depend on a multitude of factors, and the genetics of the individual.

If I am not mistaken, some of the players that returned early was a result of using synthetic tissue to repair the ACL.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but there was a time when ACL meant your career was totally over. I presume over time with the advancement of medical technology, one day we may see an ACL injury being at most 3 months.

If I am not mistaken, some of the players that returned early was a result of using synthetic tissue to repair the ACL.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but there was a time when ACL meant your career was totally over. I presume over time with the advancement of medical technology, one day we may see an ACL injury being at most 3 months.
Brett Burton likes this

recent evidence suggests non operative ACL rehab is as effective as operated (arguably better) and in those cases players can quite easily return within 3 months (don't have delayed rehab due to waiting for graft to become strong, inflammation following surgery less fear/risk of "re-tearing" the ligament, etc)

Its a matter of clubs taking the perceived risk of going against the grain and part of that is managing public perception.

There was at least 1 case where a club lied publicly about the extent of a players injury as he didnt want the op so rehabbed conservatively and they just never revealed he had done his ACL as he played out the rest of his career

Gallucci apparently sustained a low grade hamstring strain during training on Thursday and will miss this Saturdays under 23 trial game, but is expected to resume normal training by mid next week.

So far 100% of the injury updates we've received from the club this season have included the word "minor"
Gallucci apparently sustained a low grade hamstring strain during training on Thursday and will miss this Saturdays under 23 trial game, but is expected to resume normal training by mid next week.

Wonder what the difference is between minor and low grade

DABM again making the AFC change language

Remove this Banner Ad

Back