Nathan Jones (quadriceps) – 3-4 weeks

Pat McKenna (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks

Christian Salem (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks

Tim Smith (navicular bone) – season

Dom Tyson (knee) – test

Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – season

Jack Viney (plantar fascia) – 4-6 weeks

Jack Watts (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks

All of the bolded are undoubtedly best 22.

To think that Gawn wasn't even meant to come back for a couple more weeks too. And Bugg has chosen the worst possible time to do something so stupid as to get himself suspended for at least a month.

Last edited:
Where are Garlett and Hogan 'unlikely' to play next week?
Everything has said that they 'may' play next week, and last time Goody spoke about Hogan he said that was most likely to play the Adelaide game first up.

I don't know about Garlett but I won't get my hopes up until I hear something better :p

Everything has said that they 'may' play next week, and last time Goody spoke about Hogan he said that was most likely to play the Adelaide game first up.

I don't know about Garlett but I won't get my hopes up until I hear something better :p

I don't want to get my hopes up either, I just remember Goody saying last week Hogan was basically confirmed for the Carlton game.

Just so it's written down for the record, we have the following players likely unavailable for selection next week:

• Angus Brayshaw
  • Colin Garland
  • Joel Smith
  • Tim Smith
  • Pat McKenna
  • Lochie Filipovic
  • Aaron Vandenberg
  • Jeff Garlett
  • Jesse Hogan
  • Christian Salem
  • Jack Watts
  • Nathan Jones
  • Jack Viney
  • Dom Tyson
All of the bolded are undoubtedly best 22, and Garland and Smith are our only depth if one of our backline players go down. Luckily for us we haven't had injuries in the backline (except for Salem) but we're treading on thin ice.

To think that Gawn wasn't even meant to come back for a couple more weeks too. And Bugg has chosen the worst possible time to do something so stupid as to get himself suspended for at least a month.

Man I was telling Striker to shut it with his injury posting earlier in the year but thats a significant chunk of your best 22 out or who will be underdone.

Id argue both Smith and AVB play in our best 22 aswell so thats 10 unavailable lol. Interesting exercise dropping 10 from our current line up.

ANB
Stretch
Bugg
Pedo
Melk
White
Wagner
Harmes

Vince

I cant do it
I think Omac has his spot now and Id prefer Hannan to Brayshaw and AVB at the moment. Certainly little to no pressure on the incumbents

Man I was telling Striker to shut it with his injury posting earlier in the year but thats a significant chunk of your best 22 out or who will be underdone.

Id argue both Smith and AVB play in our best 22 aswell so thats 10 unavailable lol. Interesting exercise dropping 10 from our current line up.

ANB
Stretch
Bugg
Pedo
Melk
White
Wagner
Harmes

Vince

I cant do it
I think Omac has his spot now and Id prefer Hannan to Brayshaw and AVB at the moment. Certainly little to no pressure on the incumbents
:p

The worst part is that now everyone is saying "well the Doggies did it!" And everyone is forgetting what a miracle that was and how it isn't the norm for teams to win flags with that many injuries. Injuries are an excuse when you are losing a significant bracket of your best 22. What's more, most of the players aren't exactly injury prone - Jones and Watts have barely missed a game between them with injury in the last five years, Hogan's is non-footy, Viney would play through decapitation if he had to. If we keep going at this rate we will struggle to have 25 fit players - in fact we are struggling now, with 14 on that list plus Heretier and Bugg we actually only have 29 to pick from out of 45 possible, and those 29 include Johnstone and King.

:p

The worst part is that now everyone is saying "well the Doggies did it!" And everyone is forgetting what a miracle that was and how it isn't the norm for teams to win flags with that many injuries. Injuries are an excuse when you are losing a significant bracket of your best 22. What's more, most of the players aren't exactly injury prone - Jones and Watts have barely missed a game between them with injury in the last five years, Hogan's is non-footy, Viney would play through decapitation if he had to. If we keep going at this rate we will struggle to have 25 fit players - in fact we are struggling now, with 14 on that list plus Heretier and Bugg we actually only have 29 to pick from out of 45 possible, and those 29 include Johnstone and King.

Ours are worse than the dogs now. They were missing Murphy, Suckling, Crameri, JJ, Wallis, Jong, Redpath etc
We are losing Viney, Watts, Jones, Tyson, Salem, Hogan, Brayshaw, Garlett and Missed Gawn

That would have been the Dogs losing Murphy, Wood, JJ, Stringer, Hunter, Libba, Bont, Dahlhaus for a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a huge opportunity for a lot of players now and for the club. Realistically we were never going to win a flag this year but we might finish top 8 still. Give some younger blokes a chance to experience an extended run of footy, hopefully get our guns back for finals, and then have a crack at it like the Dogs when we're full strength. If it works, great. If not we come out stronger next season when we're a better shot anyway.

I think a win against Carlton this week with the outs would be just as good as any other win this here.
This.
They play a brand of footy that is well organised and a little difficult to score against.
With our current injury list they'll target this one and be well up for it.
A win here for us would be massive

Ours are worse than the dogs now. They were missing Murphy, Suckling, Crameri, JJ, Wallis, Jong, Redpath etc
We are losing Viney, Watts, Jones, Tyson, Salem, Hogan, Brayshaw, Garlett and Missed Gawn

That would have been the Dogs losing Murphy, Wood, JJ, Stringer, Hunter, Libba, Bont, Dahlhaus for a game.
This is right; everyone's been talking about having x players missing from your best 22 but most of these guys are in our best 12. It's 60-70% of the core of the team out.

This is right; everyone's been talking about having x players missing from your best 22 but most of these guys are in our best 12. It's 60-70% of the core of the team out.

If the Cats lost Selwood Touhy Danger Hawkins Duncan Menzel and Motlop they would be bottom 4
Swans were 0-6 with a couple out
Imagine the Tigers with Dusty Cotchin Riewoldt etc for a game. Lmao we are doing incredibly well at the moment

Whats with Tyson? I see not mention anywhere about him being injured.

Any side with the same outs would struggle to win against any other side in the comp. You don't really train for having 6 or 7 of your best 12 out. We just have to battle away, give people a chance to step up and hopefully they can find some form and then any win is an absolute bonus. It's why the bulldogs and eagles wins were so important. We sorta bought a loss. Then with a few favourable results on the weekend, it actually hasn't really hurt us that much.

Casey will have a tough time against Carlton. They are better than most people give them credit for. They are really good at hanging around in games.

Players like BenKen, Kent, JKH, White etc. Now is your time to shine. Tear some games apart and you might find yourself cementing a spot. Ie. stop sinking beers.

As much as I hate excuses four games in 19 days is actually ******* ridiculous, that's a game (slightly more often than) every five days inc. a trip to West Coast. The really strange thing also is that we played the Bulldogs coming off a 10 day break and the Eagles off a 9 day break (where they played in Perth the week before) coming off 6 day breaks ourselves. It makes no ******* sense in any way, I don't know how this happened at AFL HQ.

As much as I hate excuses four games in 19 days is actually ******* ridiculous, that's a game (slightly more often than) every five days inc. a trip to West Coast. The really strange thing also is that we played the Bulldogs coming off a 10 day break and the Eagles off a 9 day break (where they played in Perth the week before) coming off 6 day breaks ourselves. It makes no ******* sense in any way, I don't know how this happened at AFL HQ.
Yep, I'm so pissed about it. And it no doubt came about after the AFL went "hmm, is that a bit rough? ... nah, it's Melbourne, it won't matter"

It's not just the fact that we were effectively set up to fail in our first Friday night home game in so many years, but it's that we're now left to count the costs, and they're enormous. Injuries to 6 extremely important players, most of which will still be out for a few more weeks to come, putting our finals chances in serious jeopardy because of something that is not only completely avoidable, but shouldn't have even been considered in the first place.

Meanwhile, if was can still hang in the 8, and manage to get our Best 22 together for the first time this year, we'll be really tough to beat.

Yep, I'm so pissed about it. And it no doubt came about after the AFL went "hmm, is that a bit rough? ... nah, it's Melbourne, it won't matter"

It's not just the fact that we were effectively set up to fail in our first Friday night home game in so many years, but it's that we're now left to count the costs, and they're enormous. Injuries to 6 extremely important players, most of which will still be out for a few more weeks to come, putting our finals chances in serious jeopardy because of something that is not only completely avoidable, but shouldn't have even been considered in the first place.

Meanwhile, if was can still hang in the 8, and manage to get our Best 22 together for the first time this year, we'll be really tough to beat.
I do hope it works out as a positive, in that (if we make it to finals) whoever we play in the first week hopefully won't be able to get any read on our structures or our form because it'll be literally the first time we've had say ~20 of our best players on the ground all year.

Yep the fact we went into our first Friday night game is 4 years undermanned and half cooked is what sh*ts me the most.
Playing against last years runner up following a trip to Perth and 3 x 6 day breaks is the biggest pisstake in the 2017 fixture!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back