Injury management

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if the stats will back this up but I'm noticing more and more injuries, recurring injuries and injury crisis' in football at the moment.

Anyway, I complain about it every few weeks so why not a thread?

So, read this today, pretty interesting given Liverpools recent troubles. And maybe a bit concerning for Liverpool fans given Dortmunds injury records as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Jurgen-Klopp-Gegen-pressed-players-hard.html

For those who think it's just a bit of bad luck, this from the above article is quite interesting (Verheijen is a knobhead, but still).

FWIW he also says that it's not training methods that is the problem, but introducing the more intense playing style at the wrong time.

Said that in another thread that they're trying to change style mid season could be a factor as to why they're getting more injuries. Obviously the players and coaches won't come out and say it but it would make some sense id imagine

really think that in many sports that players are being pushed so hard and getting less and less recovery time all in the name of sports science and whatnot. players come back from injuries quicker and quicker, asked to do more and more and then we're surprised when they break down?

The fixturing doesnt help, but no-one is forcing clubs to use overworked players. I don't get a lot of the moaning from managers, they co plain about tiredness and fixturing but seem to do very little to manage the problem.

Earlier this year Pellegrini complained about tiredness, yet only a few weeks earlier he had a chance to play some kids and rest some of our players in the cup and he chose not to.

It really does my head in sometimes.

The 1 day break has been going on for years. Complaining does nothing, the league don't care. Murdoch doesn't care.

Playing twice in three days is a bit much, but I love the fixturing over the Xmas period, it is one of the great things about the English league. And I don't think it's impossible to manage it without putting your players at risk.

The fixturing doesnt help, but no-one is forcing clubs to use overworked players. I don't get a lot of the moaning from managers, they co plain about tiredness and fixturing but seem to do very little to manage the problem.

Earlier this year Pellegrini complained about tiredness, yet only a few weeks earlier he had a chance to play some kids and rest some of our players in the cup and he chose not to.

It really does my head in sometimes.
The thing is there is so much pressure on managers nowadays that results are everything. Managers do complain about the fixtures then play the same XI, because well they need a result. In today's game, every manager seems about 2 or 3 bad results from the sack.

It's so cutthroat now.

The problem was the same lineup basically playing 4 games in 10 days and all of them physical.

Most of the sessions between games have been recovery, they have hardly been training

The stupid fixture congestion is the problem
We had a similar situation this time last year and didn't break down like that. Poch's known for making pre season hell to survive it. Not sure if Rodgers was like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno what Rodgers did in the off season but I don't think the lads were ever fit enough most times under him
Saw a stat the other day that Liverpool players are running an extra 6km or so per game under Klopp than they were under Rodgers. The lift in intensity required under Klopp's style of play without the required fitness work (purely because there hasn't been time to implement a training regime) is surely the reason for all the hamstring injuries.

Money rules the world, having the break over Xmas I would assume would cause the league to lose money.

And we know they big knobs can't afford that. :rolleyes:

Most supporters also enjoy it so unfair to blame the corporates entirely.

You look at the feedback from people about this week's set of midweek games and it's overwhelmingly positive from the average punter.

Championship clubs regularly play twice in a week and rotate their squads to manage fitness and fatigue. You would think clubs of Liverpool and Man City's stature have enough confidence in their depth to rest one or two players each week as needed.

You look at the feedback from people about this week's set of midweek games and it's overwhelmingly positive from the average punter.

Championship clubs regularly play twice in a week and rotate their squads to manage fitness and fatigue. You would think clubs of Liverpool and Man City's stature have enough confidence in their depth to rest one or two players each week as needed.
That seems to be the difference. Championship clubs seem happy to rotate their squads while PL teams refuse to.

It probably helps if some money goes into the Sport Science team. As much money one should spend on their squad, one should put away something into their facilities. IIRC, we have facilities that only now the bigger clubs are implementing.

The right stuff can do a fair bit in preventing soft tissue injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back