Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take bruising over a break then. I get the feeling that this will take a while to get over because in the week I've had this it doesn't seem to have improved at all.

They take longer to settle as you can’t really rest your respiratory muscles/joints

Anyone else get issues with calf cramping at footy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having an issue with my left calf again if anyone can help. Right before round 1 which is so frustrating!

Last night during training it just got really tight again so i went off, tried to stretch and didnt go back on, just felt tight and a bit sore when i pushed on the area

Today it's sore in a very specific area not around the whole calf just in this specific spot, its the the outside about half way down my lower leg. Sore to push on.

Hopefully it isn't a strain and just a knot or something but who knows. Anyone got some advice/info to share?

Update if anyone is actually reading lol

I got it rubbed before training yesterday and i got through training, i could still feel the tightness in that one spot in the calf but it didnt get worse, got through and have been selected for tomorrow.

Today it feels the same, just in that one spot its a bit sore and tight

So I posted earlier in this thread about having had a microdiscectomy jan 2016. Anyway, in relation to that and having degenerative disc disease, I was thinking about how I used to take creatine and how it works, and had a thought that creatine could possibly help hydrate my degenerative l5/s1 disc..? I've googled it and a few others have also had the same thought, but there's no studies that say yes/no/possibly.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about giving it a go, or atleast researching what exactly creatine affects and whether what is affected is inside spinal discs.

Could it possibly have adverse side effects by drawing water from the rest of the body to the muscles?

hmmm

So I posted earlier in this thread about having had a microdiscectomy jan 2016. Anyway, in relation to that and having degenerative disc disease, I was thinking about how I used to take creatine and how it works, and had a thought that creatine could possibly help hydrate my degenerative l5/s1 disc..? I've googled it and a few others have also had the same thought, but there's no studies that say yes/no/possibly.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about giving it a go, or atleast researching what exactly creatine affects and whether what is affected is inside spinal discs.

Could it possibly have adverse side effects by drawing water from the rest of the body to the muscles?

hmmm

Given how it works and what it effects, I doubt very much Creatine would have any influence on hydration full stop, let along IVD hydration.

Generally disc hydration is influenced by 2 things
(1) total body hydration
(2) loading eg runners have more hydrated discs than the general public

Looks like i have my second bout of tendonitis/tennis elbow creeping in. Incredibly frustrating injury...anyone have any hints for preventing it in the future?

All tendonopathies respond well to loading so we can presume it also works as a preventative measure.
Basically, if it’s on the outside of your elbow slow (5-6 seconds minimum) eccentric wrist extensions for 3 sets 10-15 reps every other day. If it’s on the inside of your elbow then slow eccentric wrist curls/flexion.

All tendonopathies respond well to loading so we can presume it also works as a preventative measure.
Basically, if it’s on the outside of your elbow slow (5-6 seconds minimum) eccentric wrist extensions for 3 sets 10-15 reps every other day. If it’s on the inside of your elbow then slow eccentric wrist curls/flexion.
Yea mine is creeping in on the outside..il definately give those exercises a go..thanks alot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole lactic acid thing is a myth
(1) the body produces lactate, not lactic acid (lactic acid came from a century old study on the severed limbs of frogs)
(2) lactate actually enhances muscle performance by bridging the gap between the anaerobic and
(3) lactate levels return to normal within an hour following exercise

Is there a benefit to a 1-2km jog the day after a hard session on the legs?

Does it stop you tightening up?

To be honest I can’t find a single study that tests this.
There’s plenty that say an active recovery immediately post-exercise can be effective if done at the right dosage.

*edit*
I found one - basically, physiological effects were minimal with next day exercise but psychological effects were significant. In other words, if it makes you feel better do it otherwise it makes little difference.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15273179/

Looking for some advice.

Increased weight recently on squats and deadlifts. Deadlifts are around 90% of maximum. I've ensured that I've been keeping good form with a spotter.

Anyway have this pain around my right hip. Tried stretching the lower back and hip flexor, even used foam roller but just have this constant pain around the R hip. Almost like it needs to click into place or something. Pain is worse after initially walking around after sitting

Season looks over for me now, spoiled the ball and fell awkwardly on my left hand.
Resulting in a shattered radius bone in my forearm in 5 places, had surgery on Saturday night they have installed plates and screws.
Has anyone else done a similar injury?

Piriformis Syndrome doing my head in this year, just can't get it to settle down, even with strengthening exercises, stretching and rolling with spiky balls

How do you know it’s piriformis syndrome?

How do you know it’s piriformis syndrome?
Exercise physiologist is treating it, but it's just too expensive for me to see him every week

It definitely is, get deep massage in that area from him, clears the sciatica and most of the pain away, but it's too easily triggered in everyday life at the moment, particularly when I'm picking things up/crouching over.

Could be caused by hip/lower back imbalances though.

I have had L4-L5 problems years ago, but it's alot lower down in my left glute, could be a sacrum/coccyx issue even though.

If you don’t have radicular pain or radiculopathy below the knee then it isn’t a true Piriformis syndrome.

Given a history of back issues and your comments regarding how it is triggered as well as exact location I would be looking at/leaning towards referred pain from the back.
If you’ve had soft tissue work done on your back are you particularly tender on the left side around the level of the bottom rib?
And how would you rate your confidence bending over (at the spine) to pick up an object like a pencil or even just touching your toes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back