Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Recently realised I’ve had a swollen ankle since my second to last game of the season, so since late August. It hasn’t really gone down but doesn’t seem to be causing many problems during my casual jogs. Occasionally aches though. What is the problem?
You need to stop jogging.

I have a few lingering injuries from over training. Been 6 weeks and some still there.

Arm after lateral raises. Hurts anytime on bench, clamping hands together or lateral raises. It sucks. Have some elbow pain there too so might be related.
Upper calf strain one leg, pain in other leg behind knee, started after over extending knee in ankle mobility stretxhes.

Upper quad. Ive not done squats for a few weeks to recover.

Anyone suffered from plantar faciitis/heel spurs? I have it bad at the moment and am avoiding any movement at Crossfit which involves impact on my feet (e/g running, box jumps, double unders, even some weightlifting movements). I do all the stretches and rolling my feet on a golf ball that they recommend but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I have a couple of competitions coming up in the next couple of months so would love to get some relief.

Anyone suffered from plantar faciitis/heel spurs? I have it bad at the moment and am avoiding any movement at Crossfit which involves impact on my feet (e/g running, box jumps, double unders, even some weightlifting movements). I do all the stretches and rolling my feet on a golf ball that they recommend but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I have a couple of competitions coming up in the next couple of months so would love to get some relief.

Do calf raises with toes on a platform so you're pushing through the first MTP joint. Make sure you really exaggerate the eccentric too.

You can use a towel but these things are better:

how-to-use-the-fasciitis-fighter.jpg

Anyone had any experience with foot tendonitis on the top of the foot, and peroneal tendonitis on the lateral side of the foot/lateral side running up the calf?

I'd tried rest/ice for a few weeks, but didn't seem to do much. Physio has recommended the only way to improve tendonitis is with exercise to increase it's ability to tolerate load, whereas podiatrist has recommended rest. Kind of caught between the two options but I'm leaning towards exercises and load increases.

Stretches seem to be a no-no from both of them, but according to online recommendations stretches for tight calves/hamstrings/glutes seem to be an important factor to improve.

Anyone had any experience with foot tendonitis on the top of the foot, and peroneal tendonitis on the lateral side of the foot/lateral side running up the calf?

I'd tried rest/ice for a few weeks, but didn't seem to do much. Physio has recommended the only way to improve tendonitis is with exercise to increase it's ability to tolerate load, whereas podiatrist has recommended rest. Kind of caught between the two options but I'm leaning towards exercises and load increases.

Stretches seem to be a no-no from both of them, but according to online recommendations stretches for tight calves/hamstrings/glutes seem to be an important factor to improve.

Ive had the peroneal tendonitis issues,
Fix for me was osteo working on I think one of the insertion points up near top of the calf near the knee.
That took the pressure off which allowed it to settle then just had to stay on top of foam rolling calves and doing eccentric heel drops to strengthen.

Ive had the peroneal tendonitis issues,
Fix for me was osteo working on I think one of the insertion points up near top of the calf near the knee.
That took the pressure off which allowed it to settle then just had to stay on top of foam rolling calves and doing eccentric heel drops to strengthen.
Foam rolling calves was an option recommended. Did you find that helped?

Foam rolling calves was an option recommended. Did you find that helped?

I found that it didn't at first, it was only after the treatment on the upper leg and the foot settled that the foam rolling kind of kept any reoccurrence.

Treatment plan went something like this.

Massage and manipulation to loosen off calves with targeted work up top of calf where inserts near knee.

Standing calf stretch, heel drops, foam rolling of calves and I did some foot and ankle work with the therabands and also some proprioception work. Stand on single leg on a balance board and close eyes.

I havnt had any reoccurrence so I'd say it worked, though I don't obviously know severity vs what you are experiencing.

I found that it didn't at first, it was only after the treatment on the upper leg and the foot settled that the foam rolling kind of kept any reoccurrence.

Treatment plan went something like this.

Massage and manipulation to loosen off calves with targeted work up top of calf where inserts near knee.

Standing calf stretch, heel drops, foam rolling of calves and I did some foot and ankle work with the therabands and also some proprioception work. Stand on single leg on a balance board and close eyes.

I havnt had any reoccurrence so I'd say it worked, though I don't obviously know severity vs what you are experiencing.
Mild / occasionally stronger flare up pain but can still work through it.

How bad was yours?

Mild / occasionally stronger flare up pain but can still work through it.

How bad was yours?

Unable to load bare through my foot at all at it's worst.

whereas podiatrist has recommended rest

Tendinopathies essentially boil down to: load demands >>> load capacity.
(Complete) rest decreases your load demands, but simultaneously decreases your load capacity so when you go back to whatever activity it is you stopped you’re often worse off than before.
Podiatrists in general seem far more conservative than physio. I listened to a lecture recently where a podiatric surgeon recommended 4-6 weeks in a CAM boot for a basic lateral ankle sprain lol.

Tendinopathies essentially boil down to: load demands >>> load capacity.
(Complete) rest decreases your load demands, but simultaneously decreases your load capacity so when you go back to whatever activity it is you stopped you’re often worse off than before.
Podiatrists in general seem far more conservative than physio. I listened to a lecture recently where a podiatric surgeon recommended 4-6 weeks in a CAM boot for a basic lateral ankle sprain lol.
definitely my experience so far,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sore spot under the heal? I think I might have a minor issue with this for a about 3 months, first noticed it on one foot walking on the concrete at the pool. It's never been bad enough to impede me actually doing anything but especially recently it is slowly but surely getting worse.

Haven't been doing any running for ages so I assume weight exercises have caused it?

Sore spot under the heal? I think I might have a minor issue with this for a about 3 months, first noticed it on one foot walking on the concrete at the pool. It's never been bad enough to impede me actually doing anything but especially recently it is slowly but surely getting worse.

Haven't been doing any running for ages so I assume weight exercises have caused it?
Mine disappeared with lots of stretching exercises and rolling a golf ball under the heel. I'm a bit wary about overusing my foot and it reoccuring so I opt to use the air bike rather than running when it is programmed at CrossFit. Plus the air bike is much better for knees than running.

I also bought one of these as I had really tight calves and apparently tights calves can be a cause of plantar fasciitis. It's really good.

Screenshot (3).png

Last edited:
Unless you can address why they became tight in the first place (presuming that is the origin of the heel pain) you'll just end up going in circles.
I tore my calf muscle a few years ago which I think is the cause of the tightness. Not really sure what you mean by addressing it. I've been to the physio and had work done on it as well as the stretching that he told me to do.

Has anyone had a knee replacement and how long were they out of the gym?

During my first ACL rehab I worked with another patient with knee replacement. They were doing exercises pretty much day after the operation but about six weeks before they were able to do any meaningful gym work. A lot longer than that to get back to normal both on upper and lower body. All depends on your surgeon and physios' protocols.

All depends on your surgeon and physios' protocols.

As a physio we (mostly) just follow what the surgeon says first and foremost.

TW Sherrin to answer your question more directly it probably depends on a few things
  • what you mean by getting back into the gym
  • how well the surgery goes
  • what your function was like before the surgery
  • what the surgeon says
  • how quickly you bounce back
We have people in our outpatient rehab gym as early as a week post-op but it's predominantly aimed at restoring ROM and working on end range quad function with our populations.
Personally I'd be broaching the subject with the surgeon well before the op so you have answer asap rather than you or your physio trying to chase him up later on cos its a PITA

As a physio we (mostly) just follow what the surgeon says first and foremost.

TW Sherrin to answer your question more directly it probably depends on a few things
  • what you mean by getting back into the gym
  • how well the surgery goes
  • what your function was like before the surgery
  • what the surgeon says
  • how quickly you bounce back
We have people in our outpatient rehab gym as early as a week post-op but it's predominantly aimed at restoring ROM and working on end range quad function with our populations.
Personally I'd be broaching the subject with the surgeon well before the op so you have answer asap rather than you or your physio trying to chase him up later on cos its a PITA

I should've been a bit clearer.

I understand the rehab process and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking getting back into lifting and if it's possible to work upper body whilst I can't do any leg work.

I got into lifting late and have been at it for several years now and moving some weight (for me). So just want to minimise any losses and wondered about benching in particular.

I've had a couple of convos with Nigel and just interested in how others went.

Last edited:
Any tips for rib injuries? First grappling class I felt my ribs kind of move or something while underneath a particular savage. I'm pretty sure it would be a cartilage tging. Was super sore for the week but was decent by yesterday morning so tried class again and back to square one. I obviously just need to rest until it's not sore. Is this the sort of thing core work will improve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back