Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ok so this is going to sound stupid but i'm pretty sure my legs are different lengths and its causing me issues after a decent run

basically the joint where my left leg connects to my hip is getting inflamed and i think its because of how i'm impacting the ground on that side (straighter leg/more impact?)

no problems at all with the other side. defs shitting me though
When your lying down wiggle your hips around and stretch your hips, and lookout for tightness.
Your legs could well be different lengths, but the problem is more likely to be poor alignment of your pelvis.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
When your lying down wiggle your hips around and stretch your hips, and lookout for tightness.
Your legs could well be different lengths, but the problem is more likely to be poor alignment of your pelvis.
cheers will do. i also have a friend who is a physio im gonna suss out on this next time we catch up

Not stupid at all, my mate who is a physio said people would be very surprised at how non symmetrical their bodies are.
My osteo said the same thing - and for most people it isn't a problem, although slight non-symmetry has paid for many a chiro's holiday house.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Doctor Google tells me that I have strained my Medial Collateral Ligament, pretty painful to do a few of the postures at Yoga so I've had to back off on them. I don't remember doing anything specific, it's probably just wear and tear on a 60 year old knee.

Hopefully it's a mild strain and I get over it in a week or two, anything worse than that you're looking at 4-6 weeks.

I've strained my rotator cuff/stabilisers in my left shoulder, really freaking annoying (and painful sessions at the osteo too).

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not stupid at all, my mate who is a physio said people would be very surprised at how non symmetrical their bodies are.
I'm one of those non-symmetrical people. I never realised it, but physio picked it up. When I did a disc, during one session he had me bend down and touch the ground whilst he videoed it and then showed it to me. I thought I was going straight down and I was going WAY to the right (right leg is shorter). It was a contributing factor to my back going, being so out of balance over and over every step for 40 odd years.

Now have an inset (about half a cm) I put in my right shoe to bring me into being more even. Also are conscious to use visual cue of my legs when bending forward to make sure I am actually just bending forward and not off to the side these days.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got a strange one. Was doing some 400s and 200s Thursday night, hammy felt a bit tight and sore towards the end so I ended the session.
There was no incident, but went to run today and it’s still kind of sore, there’s no tightness there and my strength is still 100%, stretching is fine too. Almost feels like a tendinitis type thing but yeah was wondering if anyone had any hElp

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm one of those non-symmetrical people. I never realised it, but physio picked it up. When I did a disc, during one session he had me bend down and touch the ground whilst he videoed it and then showed it to me. I thought I was going straight down and I was going WAY to the right (right leg is shorter). It was a contributing factor to my back going, being so out of balance over and over every step for 40 odd years.

Now have an inset (about half a cm) I put in my right shoe to bring me into being more even. Also are conscious to use visual cue of my legs when bending forward to make sure I am actually just bending forward and not off to the side these days.
i have done a 5km run the past couple of weeks and tried to be conscious of how i was landing on the side giving me trouble, pulled up fine after both so pretty happy. guess its just something i'm going to have to keep monitoring in future

i have done a 5km run the past couple of weeks and tried to be conscious of how i was landing on the side giving me trouble, pulled up fine after both so pretty happy. guess its just something i'm going to have to keep monitoring in future

No need to push yourself hard now.

Our lives are going to fairly restricted for 6 months, maybe best to rest or do a very careful and slow 5km run if I was you. Then when you feel confident you have recovered, then increase speed and intensity.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any tips for hamstring tendinitis? Had a few tears in the same hammy before but had tendinitis the past week after training has ramped back up.
Worth seeing a physio or just do the usual Ice stretch anti inflammatory stuff?

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Any tips for hamstring tendinitis? Had a few tears in the same hammy before but had tendinitis the past week after training has ramped back up.
Worth seeing a physio or just do the usual Ice stretch anti inflammatory stuff?

I had tendinitis in the glute last year. A pain in the hip region basically were your pockets would be on your shorts. It would start of as a small pain like the size of 20cent piece then by the end of training/game it would Ben like a small plate size (area of pain)

Spoke to my mate who is a physio and he said the best answer is rest. But also doing to band exercises and making my glutes stronger. Basically tendons don’t like big sharp increases/decreased in volume.

I don’t think Ice, anti inflams, stretching will do anything but hide the pain/issue.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had tendinitis in the glute last year. A pain in the hip region basically were your pockets would be on your shorts. It would start of as a small pain like the size of 20cent piece then by the end of training/game it would Ben like a small plate size (area of pain)

Spoke to my mate who is a physio and he said the best answer is rest. But also doing to band exercises and making my glutes stronger. Basically tendons don’t like big sharp increases/decreased in volume.

I don’t think Ice, anti inflams, stretching will do anything but hide the pain/issue.

Hmm right. Weird thing is I haven't really increased load volume much at all. Maybe just a little bit of increased explosive sprinting in drills but yeah.. strange.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
been battling hamstring tendinopathy on and off for about 12 months

sometimes i get lazy with stretching and pay the price, get a lot of needling, got a massage the other day

any other suggestions

train your hamstrings in the gym, focussing on controlling the eccentric portion of each rep.
presuming it’s the proximal tendon begin with prone/lying hamstring curls and hip bridges/thrusters as they’ll be less likely to irritate the tendon.
3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with a 3-4 second eccentric.

train your hamstrings in the gym, focussing on controlling the eccentric portion of each rep.
presuming it’s the proximal tendon begin with prone/lying hamstring curls and hip bridges/thrusters as they’ll be less likely to irritate the tendon.
3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with a 3-4 second eccentric.

thanks mate, ill give that a go

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
thanks mate, ill give that a go

the main thing with tendons is that they don’t like surprises (so big changes either up or down in training loads)
whatever your activity/sport you’ll need to start at a weekly frequency/volume that you can handle without a flare up then gradually build from there
but yeah, eccentric exercise for tendons is one of the few things that’s somewhat “proven”

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
the main thing with tendons is that they don’t like surprises (so big changes either up or down in training loads)
whatever your activity/sport you’ll need to start at a weekly frequency/volume that you can handle without a flare up then gradually build from there
but yeah, eccentric exercise for tendons is one of the few things that’s somewhat “proven”

100% they are a genuine niggle of an injury and prick to deal with.

I managed to improve the tendinothpy in my hip/glute (like were your pocket would be on your shorts) but not in the same leg ive got soreness in the hamstring on the back of the leg

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
100% they are a genuine niggle of an injury and prick to deal with.

I managed to improve the tendinothpy in my hip/glute (like were your pocket would be on your shorts) but not in the same leg ive got soreness in the hamstring on the back of the leg

the hard part is that the longer they go on the less it’s about the muscle physiology and the more it comes down to neurophysiology.
ironically painful tendons have more ”in-tact” tendon than non-painful ones!

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
the hard part is that the longer they go on the less it’s about the muscle physiology and the more it comes down to neurophysiology.
ironically painful tendons have more ”in-tact” tendon than non-painful ones!

And I’m getting old.

Didn’t help u was hit and miss with gym and running sept-dec. then got into preseason. Then barely ran and couldn’t go the gym mid March to now.

My league has been cancelled but I’m hoping the ammos go ahead as I’ve Done two sessions with a c section side

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Thoughts on pain when shoulder pressing with a pronated grip? Shoulder affects some tricep work where shoulders are at strain if the shoulder was irritated previously like pronated pushdowns and tricep dips, is it rotator cuff or biceps tendon?

No problems with horizontal presses or vertical pull work though. I get around it fine, but do miss more shoulder variation. Lat raises and front raises are fine, bent over raises on back day are fine.

Might try vertical presses with a hammercurl type of grip instead?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Thoughts on pain when shoulder pressing with a pronated grip? Shoulder affects some tricep work where shoulders are at strain if the shoulder was irritated previously like pronated pushdowns and tricep dips, is it rotator cuff or biceps tendon?

No problems with horizontal presses or vertical pull work though. I get around it fine, but do miss more shoulder variation. Lat raises and front raises are fine, bent over raises on back day are fine.

Might try vertical presses with a hammercurl type of grip instead?

most likely scapula related (presuming you haven’t gone from no overhead pressing lots of overhead press in a short space of time).
Do you do anything in particular with your shoulder blades while you’re pressing?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
most likely scapula related (presuming you haven’t gone from no overhead pressing lots of overhead press in a short space of time).
Do you do anything in particular with your shoulder blades while you’re pressing?
Been a historical thing for me over the years, it comes and goes, normally just grab a band or a light cable/dumbbell and do some external rotation work for a week or two before training and it goes away, but probably has never fixed the problem.

I have a tendency of shoulder dumbbell pressing with the bench not at 90, normally feel most comfortable at 75, though I can press at 80-85

Dunno with my scapula, I try to never press with a flat back which I imagine would round my shoulders if I did. I always press with some sort of lumbar arch and drive through my feet/legs for stability (any press using a bench, flat, incline, shoulder)

Not really a fan of standing presses, but it may promote better form?

Tried pressing with a neutral/hammercurl grip today, felt no pain in the shoulder while doing them, felt it hit my triceps alot more than normal but. Dunno, maybe I'll buy a trap bar some day to train shoulders with (good for rows and stuff too)

I've trained as much as I can at home during lockdown, got a few dumbbells and a bench here, tried to emulate the way I'd train at gym as much as I could (back/pull day 1, chest/shoulders/push day 2, legs day 3, if I can be bothered I'll do arms on a Saturday too)

Last edited:
Back