Injury Report - Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

the afl has an integrity unit you know?

Footy dream becomes reality for Aligned Leisure's Austin Johnson​

Aligned Leisure's Austin Johnson will be a valuable part of the Richmond Tigers VFL side in 2023, solidifying his spot in the side across the early parts of the season.

Currently working casually at Aligned Leisure as a Duty Captain, Johnson enjoys the flexibility both Richmond and Aligned Leisure can offer him.

"I'm training three or four times weekly, plus work and uni. Aligned Leisure is pretty helpful with a flexible roster, and Richmond helps me to plan out months in advance to avoid clashes with the VFL games," he said.

Aligned Leisure is a subsidiary of the Richmond Football Club, with Johnson beginning his work there when he was already a year into playing for the VFL Tigers.

Look at that all above board. He works for both Richmond VFL AND Alligned Leisure. 2 separate Group Certificates. That's how you land the biggest and best guy in high performance management. Short of an AFL integrity officer stalking their every waking minute to see the breakdown of their day to day yearly routine, it's all above board. Hell as CEO of Alligned leisure he often works remotely....... from Punt Rd. Give me $500 i'll do your tax return be the best one you ever got.

Footy dream becomes reality for Aligned Leisure's Austin Johnson​

Aligned Leisure's Austin Johnson will be a valuable part of the Richmond Tigers VFL side in 2023, solidifying his spot in the side across the early parts of the season.

Currently working casually at Aligned Leisure as a Duty Captain, Johnson enjoys the flexibility both Richmond and Aligned Leisure can offer him.

"I'm training three or four times weekly, plus work and uni. Aligned Leisure is pretty helpful with a flexible roster, and Richmond helps me to plan out months in advance to avoid clashes with the VFL games," he said.

Aligned Leisure is a subsidiary of the Richmond Football Club, with Johnson beginning his work there when he was already a year into playing for the VFL Tigers.

Look at that all above board. He works for both Richmond VFL AND Alligned Leisure. 2 separate Group Certificates. That's how you land the biggest and best guy in high performance management. Short of an AFL integrity officer stalking their every waking minute to see the breakdown of their day to day yearly routine, it's all above board. Hell as CEO of Alligned leisure he often works remotely....... from Punt Rd. Give me $500 i'll do your tax return be the best one you ever got.
Like a VFL player working at a gym is anything like an AFL clubs head of fitness being on the books of one of the clubs subsidiaries :$

100% they are terrible

So what do we do differently?

I get the frustration, but from the outside our injury management has been standard across all sport. Slowly building up fitness, with progression only once certain fitness stages have been reached.

There is no possible way to get back to afl level fitness without putting significant load through the body.

With leg injuries, often the body will overcompensate in another area to protect the previously injured spot. Secondary injuries are not uncommon as a result. Sounds as if Gibcus injury is in a different area of the hamstring which would likely indicate that exact thing. Short had the same thing with his calf.

The only recurrence of an injury seems to be Tarrant’s. Sounds as if Soldo is similar to Gibcus’ (not the same injury but in same body location). Campbell’s sounds as if they stopped football activities entirely to strengthen his abductor to not do additional injury.

It’s disappointing but it’s not as if the club is doing anything different than any other sports club in the world does in terms of bringing their players back from injury.

Josh Gibcus injury update​

The Club will take a conservative approach with young defender Josh Gibcus’ hamstring injury after the youngster suffered a setback at training on Thursday.
By Richmond Media
230428_RD7_Training-9850-Josh-Gibcus.jpg

Calf. Having scans tomorrow, but more than just tightness and will probably miss games
It's disappointing that we can't get through a week without losing a player to injury, but I think with Sonsie and Dow in the reserves we can bring them in to play a role, and not miss him too much. I know they are very different players, but it gives them a good opportunity for a full game, maybe play Ross a little more inside.

It's disappointing that we can't get through a week without losing a player to injury, but I think with Sonsie and Dow in the reserves we can bring them in to play a role, and not miss him too much. I know they are very different players, but it gives them a good opportunity for a full game, maybe play Ross a little more inside.
Yeah either that or do what we did in-game and inject Prestia back into the midfield and give the spot to MRJ (who I think will be back for Dreamtime).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Dow get injured? There wasn't even a game.

He had a similar situation where he was out for one game early in the year.

Generally (like Tylar Young last week) when it’s sort of not mentioned until team selection it’s just a precautionary week off.

Hope that’s the case with Dow.

Wouldn’t surprise to think that they’ll put hopper on ice until after the bye.

Hopefully this will give Sonsie a few games in a row.

Sonsie needs to pick his bottom lip up, massively improve his fitness, start to gut run and learn how to win contested ball if he wants to play senior footy.

Brandon Ellis handed his ass to him against GC until the coaching staff had seen enough and subbed him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back