Injury Injury thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really worried about dv - this could be career threatening / life altering

Cant remember a player having more than a coupla weeks off for concussion
There was a guy who used to play basketball for the Bucks called Carlos Delfino, got a bump to his head in a game and missed a few months with concussion. I believe for a month or so he couldn't even leave a dark room without getting headaches or dizziness. Don't think he was ever really the same player after that.

There was a guy who used to play basketball for the Bucks called Carlos Delfino, got a bump to his head in a game and missed a few months with concussion. I believe for a month or so he couldn't even leave a dark room without getting headaches or dizziness. Don't think he was ever really the same player after that.
Is that what happened to him? I remember him being good then suddenly becoming 2nd string role player

Is that what happened to him? I remember him being good then suddenly becoming 2nd string role player

No - aliens stole his basketball ability. There was a documentary made about it featuring Michael Jordan

Yeah, think it might have been his second concussion that season and it completely screwed him up for a while. Think he either got traded or signed with the Rockets after that and then was out of the league in a couple of years.

Really worried about dv - this could be career threatening / life altering

Cant remember a player having more than a coupla weeks off for concussion
I think it is a sign that AFL clubs are taking concussion seriously. McCartin for Saints had something like his 14th concussion in the pre season and isn't even training at the moment. I think they're just putting him in cotton wool to make sure he doesn't have any major issues in the future.

I reckon McCartin will retire. Still with multiple symptoms after 3 months.
He really has had a terrible time of it.

The way he attacks the ball makes him more likely to get knocked and he is clearly susceptible to any head knock. Double whammy. Even gentle collisions seem to get him. It's really not worth the risk.

I can't imagine anyone being critical if he pulls up stumps and rides off into the sunset. Personally, I would encourage it. And if we had a player in the same boat, I would say the same.

Edit - can anyone remember if it was a particular knock or is it just the time and again factor?

The way he attacks the ball makes him more likely to get knocked and he is clearly susceptible to any head knock. Double whammy. Even gentle collisions seem to get him. It's really not worth the risk.

I can't imagine anyone being critical if he pulls up stumps and rides off into the sunset. Personally, I would encourage it. And if we had a player in the same boat, I would say the same.

Edit - can anyone remember if it was a particular knock or is it just the time and again factor?

The latter I believe. What was it, 14 concussions - something ridiculous like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Nic comes back at his best the new 6-6-6 rules which in a lot of ways have seen us get destroyed when not being able to compete in the ruck properly and or only able to win tight games through defensive to offensive swing or get utterly destroyed when the opponent has a run on would then see us be the most dominant out of the middle side in the league combined with having best in league defensive processes.

Nic playing well in the side is a potential 10 a game or more inside 50 differential. -5 to opponents, +5 to us or more. We are 7-3 whilst being 17th in the league for inside 50's. Nic ability in the ruck as well as his ability in tight could very easily see us go from being bottom 2 for inside 50's to top 2. I genuinely can't remember the last time we had more inside won the inside 50 count and lost. Im sure someone will be able to check but I can almost certainly guarantee JK or darling or both were injured. In the GWS game we lost the inside 50 count 47-62 and doubled their score 104-52. You get that sort of efficiency happening with Nic in the side and we would likely have won by 100 points against a side that as of right now should be equal flag favourites.

We are currently 18th in the league for centre clearances yet with Nic in the ruck in years past we've have the best centre clearance differential of every side in the league. (while nic is in the ruck)

Can't wait to have the big fella back.

On this supposed Barrass setback that Pavlich mentioned. Just watching the replay, and it’s nothing:

“Just speaking of Tom Barrass, I sort of remember not long ago there was a bit of a set back with time frame. Still a good eight or ten weeks away I believe.”

Uninformed comment designed to fill silence. I wouldn’t trust the club’s timeframe over a media member very often, but given they finally put a firm timeframe or Barrass this week, and he was listed as “eight to ten weeks” a few weeks ago, I’ll take it as old mail from Pav.

Hurn out against Sydney would really hurt, such an important game before the bye.

True, but at Hurn's age we shouldn't take any risks with soft tissue injuries, particularly with the bye the following week.

Save him another long flight and let him put his feet up for a well earned 3 week rest.

There has to be reasonable compensation for these guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back