Injury Injury thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I won't be popular for saying this, but we might be better not playing Nic Nat for the finals.

I know he influences our clearance differential massively, but in my opinion, you cannot carry a guy who's only capable of playing half a game for a final, irrespective of how good he is.

Updated August 13, 2019

Jarrod Brander (hamstring) season
Liam Duggan (ankle) test
Luke Foley (calf) 1 week
Fraser McInnes (quad) 1 week
Nic Naitanui (ankle) indefinite
Brodie Riach (stress fracture) 2 weeks
Josh Smith (hamstring) 3 weeks
Daniel Venables (concussion) season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be popular for saying this, but we might be better not playing Nic Nat for the finals.

I know he influences our clearance differential massively, but in my opinion, you cannot carry a guy who's only capable of playing half a game for a final, irrespective of how good he is.
Did anyone f****** ask you?

NN has been playing half a game for his entire career.

I think we can somehow carry him.

I understand what you mean. It definitely affects our ability to run games out. We are also currently quite tall as it is. Who do we leave out? If he’s fit enough we have to play him. Hickey will have to play but I can’t see us taking more than gov, Barass, darling and JK as talls meaning guys like schoey, Allen, and Jakey might miss for fitter smaller runners like Masto.

I understand what you mean. It definitely affects our ability to run games out. We are also currently quite tall as it is. Who do we leave out? If he’s fit enough we have to play him. Hickey will have to play but I can’t see us taking more than gov, Barass, darling and JK as talls meaning guys like schoey, Allen, and Jakey might miss for fitter smaller runners like Masto.
We leave out waterman.

OAllen plays the 3rd tall role

Schoey is an interesting one, would probably be next in line out, but tbf unlike other years the top teams all have 2 or more true key forwards so his position is justified.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another difference when Nics in is the fact our mids don’t need to run as hard the other way. We’re able to be on the front foot more often and can gamble a lot more putting more energy into forward running, which balances out his 50% game time. As long as we don’t lose a runner in the first half like the Pies game.

This is almost the stupidest thing anyone has said around here and I've said some stupid s**t. IF in three weeks time he is running like he was yesterday, the dude plays. Jab it up and let the dude dominate.

This is almost the stupidest thing anyone has said around here and I've said some stupid s**t. IF in three weeks time he is running like he was yesterday, the dude plays. Jab it up and let the dude dominate.

There is an old football saying: "you cant have passengers for finals"

Or more to the point, you cant have a guy playing half a grand final, no matter how good he is.

If Nics current fitness base permitted him to play say, 75-80% of game time when he came back, it might be a different story.

But the reality is, even if we get him back in time, he will be playing 50% of game time, max.

And this is compounded where the guy has played very little football over the last 2 years, period

I am not saying we are a better team without him, but you simply cannot have a man miss that much football, and come back for a cutthroat final to be spending half the game on the bench.

When Alistair Clarkson brought back Cyril Rioli for the grand final having missed a ton of football prior, off the top of my head, i think he played 76% of total game time that day. And that's the difference.

If there is any doubt at all, i would much rather have Nic complete a full preseason and be cherry ripe for 2020

Because the cold, harsh reality is, even though we are a better team when he is fit and firing, we won the grand final without him

If he isnt fit, and doesnt make it, its not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back