Injury Injury thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an old football saying: "you cant have passengers for finals"

Or more to the point, you cant have a guy playing half a grand final, no matter how good he is.

If Nics current fitness base permitted him to play say, 75-80% of game time when he came back, it might be a different story.

But the reality is, even if we get him back in time, he will be playing 50% of game time, max.

And this is compounded where the guy has played very little football over the last 2 years, period

I am not saying we are a better team without him, but you simply cannot have a man miss that much football, and come back for a cutthroat final to be spending half the game on the bench.

When Alistair Clarkson brought back Cyril Rioli for the grand final having missed a ton of football prior, off the top of my head, i think he played 76% of total game time that day. And that's the difference.

If there is any doubt at all, i would much rather have Nic complete a full preseason and be cherry ripe for 2020

Because the cold, harsh reality is, even though we are a better team when he is fit and firing, we won the grand final without him

If he isnt fit, and doesnt make it, its not the end of the world.

I agree that you can't have passengers for finals, but NN 55-60% TOG is normal. if he is able to perform at a high level, for his usual amount of game time it doesn't make him a passenger.

But agree with your sentiment - if he is struggling to get to 50% TOG and physically can't have an impact then we leave him out. I reckon he would make that call himself though if it came to the crunch.

I agree that you can't have passengers for finals, but NN 55-60% TOG is normal. if he is able to perform at a high level, for his usual amount of game time it doesn't make him a passenger.

But agree with your sentiment - if he is struggling to get to 50% TOG and physically can't have an impact then we leave him out. I reckon he would make that call himself though if it came to the crunch.
Bear in mind, when the game is in the balance, Nic is called upon more than 55-60%.

There is an old football saying: "you cant have passengers for finals"

Or more to the point, you cant have a guy playing half a grand final, no matter how good he is.

If Nics current fitness base permitted him to play say, 75-80% of game time when he came back, it might be a different story.

But the reality is, even if we get him back in time, he will be playing 50% of game time, max.

And this is compounded where the guy has played very little football over the last 2 years, period

I am not saying we are a better team without him, but you simply cannot have a man miss that much football, and come back for a cutthroat final to be spending half the game on the bench.

When Alistair Clarkson brought back Cyril Rioli for the grand final having missed a ton of football prior, off the top of my head, i think he played 76% of total game time that day. And that's the difference.

If there is any doubt at all, i would much rather have Nic complete a full preseason and be cherry ripe for 2020

Because the cold, harsh reality is, even though we are a better team when he is fit and firing, we won the grand final without him

If he isnt fit, and doesnt make it, its not the end of the world.
Gov did alright with broken ribs in the 2018 GF

He could be the difference.

But he could make us hit a wall like v Coll.

Roll the dice?

I guess if he's ruled fit to play he plays

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Losing Cripps early against Collingwood was more the reason behind the fade out imo.

NN best Grundy even with the injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see if we play a tagger in the Beagles this week. Maybe gives MAllen a shot or more likely give Hammer or Ainsworth a role like that. Maybe that Nelson gets replaced by Duggan and plays tagger at WAFL level. Would be surprised if we didn't have a contingency plan.

So much this.

No offence to Brodie Riach but I'm more interested in NicNat.
NN is fine. Shooting hoops is a final stage of recovery according to some. NN will be playing finals. when?? who knows. But I would expect him to play at some stage.

Be interesting to see if we play a tagger in the Beagles this week. Maybe gives MAllen a shot or more likely give Hammer or Ainsworth a role like that. Maybe that Nelson gets replaced by Duggan and plays tagger at WAFL level. Would be surprised if we didn't have a contingency plan.
with one week to go before finals and you recommend giving poor Mallen a game with a role as a tagger where he has never done?? really?? I rather Mallen get de listed than going through your suggestion. That is harsh man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back