Injury Injury update 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

In the video he states maybe 40 of 45 available for the trial. Not sure who the others missing would be, but you'd have to think Polec and Austin would be the other 2 in doubt for family day.

I'm still not sure why we're so obsessed with the secrecy around our injuries, as no one is gaining anything from it, but ah well it is what it is.

In the video he states maybe 40 of 45 available for the trial. Not sure who the others missing would be, but you'd have to think Polec and Austin would be the other 2 in doubt for family day.

I'm still not sure why we're so obsessed with the secrecy around our injuries, as no one is gaining anything from it, but ah well it is what it is.
What secrecy do you think there is?
From what I have seen, there are bugger all players not in full training - minor complaints are almost never reported.

Dougal Howard (ACL, 2-4 months): The second-year ruckman is slightly ahead of schedule. Howard completes the majority of training with the main group, but isn't doing any contact work. The Power are taking a cautious approach to his return, which will likely be early in the season through the SANFL.

Angus Monfries (shoulder, 4-5 weeks): The experienced forward is being carefully managed after injuring his shoulder in training in November. He's been ruled out of the club's intraclub game on Friday, February 17, but should play in the later stages of the JLT Community Series and be available for round one.

Jesse Palmer (groin, 2-3 weeks): Has been on a modified program to avoid pushing too hard and causing an injury. Won't play the Power's intraclub game and will be managed through the JLT Community Series. Expected to be available for round one.

Others
Key forward Charlie Dixon has returned to full training this week after having an ankle operation in November. He will play a limited role in the Power's intraclub. Dixon will be available for the JLT Community Series, but won't play all the games. Defender Logan Austin (ankle) is also back in full training and will be available for the intraclub and pre-season games. Jack Hombsch and Billy Frampton have been in full training since the Christmas break. - Lee Gaskin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-09/injury-list-whos-stuck-in-the-medical-room-at-your-club

----------

Gee. Long layoff for Monfries. That will be in the region of 16 weeks come the end of it. Must have been a reco.

Although all three injuries are relatively long-term and, as we know, this can mean they could drag on, we seem to be better off than most of the other teams. Brisbane again doesn't seem to be able to take a trick and Adelaide again have been lucky with what they have. Although they have more injuries than us they are mostly 1 or 2 weeks meaning the players will be available for the JLT season.

Dougal Howard (ACL, 2-4 months): The second-year ruckman is slightly ahead of schedule. Howard completes the majority of training with the main group, but isn't doing any contact work. The Power are taking a cautious approach to his return, which will likely be early in the season through the SANFL.

Angus Monfries (shoulder, 4-5 weeks): The experienced forward is being carefully managed after injuring his shoulder in training in November. He's been ruled out of the club's intraclub game on Friday, February 17, but should play in the later stages of the JLT Community Series and be available for round one.

Jesse Palmer (groin, 2-3 weeks): Has been on a modified program to avoid pushing too hard and causing an injury. Won't play the Power's intraclub game and will be managed through the JLT Community Series. Expected to be available for round one.

Others
Key forward Charlie Dixon has returned to full training this week after having an ankle operation in November. He will play a limited role in the Power's intraclub. Dixon will be available for the JLT Community Series, but won't play all the games. Defender Logan Austin (ankle) is also back in full training and will be available for the intraclub and pre-season games. Jack Hombsch and Billy Frampton have been in full training since the Christmas break. - Lee Gaskin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-09/injury-list-whos-stuck-in-the-medical-room-at-your-club

----------

Gee. Long layoff for Monfries. That will be in the region of 16 weeks come the end of it. Must have been a reco.

Or not:

"The open operation, commonly known as a “full reconstruction”has a higher success rate especially in people who have had several dislocation over many years or who are very active and play elite contact sport. The success rate of the open operation is greater than 90% but usually involves a moderate loss of movement in certain positions of the shoulder. The rehabilitation following both procedures approximate 6 months but hospitalisation may be shorter with the arthroscopic procedure."

It was this:

"Acromioclavicular Joint Separation

This is one of the most common shoulder injuries seen (usually from a sporting accident). It is particularly common in cycling, snowboarding, skiing, or football. The injury results from a fall onto the point of the shoulder and can be mild, moderate or severe.In a mild or moderate separation, the ligaments involved are stretched. In a severe injury, the ligaments that hold down the collar bone or clavicle are ruptured and the end of the collar bone appears very prominent.

Generally speaking anyone who does heavy manual or overhead work should consider having the surgery done soon after the injury. This also applies to throwing or contact athletes.

Full activity, including all sports, can usually be started by 3 months."

http://www.orthosports.com.au/content_common/pg-acromioclavicular.seo

3 months off takes him to February 16th or thereabouts, which is why he's missing the intraclub. Another month getting up to speed full training and he'll be fully fit and available for selection just like they say.

Or not:
3 months off takes him to February 16th or thereabouts, which is why he's missing the intraclub. Another month getting up to speed full training and he'll be fully fit and available for selection just like they say.
I think the worry is because Port have a recent history of underplaying injuries by giving us a date (or how many weeks) and then pushing it out every week

Gus has done the entire running load and then some this pre season - he is fitter than I have EVER seen him... the reality is that there is zero reasons to rush him back at all.

As long as he plays 1-2 games trough out the pre season, he will be fine.

I wonder if Fatty Crouch is thinking he should get a trade to Hawthorn to get his injuries professionally handled?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the worry is because Port have a recent history of underplaying injuries by giving us a date (or how many weeks) and then pushing it out every week

Agreed, for 3 coaches and various fitness staff now we have seen a number of examples of 4, 6, indefinite, so I take player return dates with a grain of salt, until I actually see them run onto the park for a game.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I am a tad sceptical that Howard will return early in the sanfl season, assuming of course that my understanding of `early ' is the same as that of the club. :rolleyes:
Hopefully something along the lines of `he has had a minor setback, and his return has been delayed, ' won't be on the horizon. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back