Injury Injury Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the preseason training ramping up, the Internal Trial match come and gone, it's now starting to get serious..

Who will be the likely AFL starters? Who will become our next crop of stars? The answer is likely those who won't be featuring too much on this particular thread!

(written on 19/2/21)

- Tom Doedee - groin strain (has resumed running)
- Daniel Talia - post-season knee surgery, doing running loads
- Mitch Hinge - "minor" shoulder dislocation 0-1 week?
- Brayden Cook - rehab post shoulder reconstruction last year (possible return ~ round 5)
- David Mackay - concussion 1-2 weeks?

- Shane McAdam - corked glute - expected to play in practice match vs Port
- Sam Berry - stubbed toe - expected to play in practice match vs Port

Wayne Milera - Cactus.

Injury list as of Tuesday, April 6
Matt Crouch (groin) TBC
David Mackay (hamstring) test
Brayden Cook (shoulder) 1 week
Daniel Talia (foot) 8-10 weeks
Lachlan Gollant (finger) 8-12 weeks
Mitch Hinge (shoulder) season
Wayne Milera (knee) season

https://www.afc.com.au/matches/injury-list

Injury list as of Tuesday, April 6
Matt Crouch (groin) TBC
David Mackay (hamstring) test
Brayden Cook (shoulder) 1 week
Daniel Talia (foot) 8-10 weeks
Lachlan Gollant (finger) 8-12 weeks
Mitch Hinge (shoulder) season
Wayne Milera (knee) season

https://www.afc.com.au/matches/injury-list
Gollant 12 weeks for a finger. Was it amputated?

Talia will undergo surgery on his left foot after scans revealed inflammation in a tendon and the injury didn't respond to conservative rehabilitation. The Crows hope he can play a meaningful role in the second half of the season. Crouch is ready to resume running, but a return-to-play date is not in place. Mackay experienced hamstring tightness and will undergo a fitness test this week. Gollant and Hinge underwent successful surgery last week and are both recovering. Luke Pedlar has recovered from an abdominal strain and is available to play. – Nathan Schmook

Gollant 12 weeks for a finger. Was it amputated?
I actually questioned this as well when I read it initially. My first thoughts were "did he get his fingers mangled in a shredder?!"
Reading from the above post, it seems he's had a finger operation of some sort. Now I'm curious to know what the initial injury was!

I actually questioned this as well when I read it initially. My first thoughts were "did he get his fingers mangled in a shredder?!"
Reading from the above post, it seems he's had a finger operation of some sort. Now I'm curious to know what the initial injury was!

Bit like degoey finger... John Brown showed his finger where he choose to play on rather than have surgery and he can't move it anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Crouch is now out for at least another month, why did he play in the preseason?
I think the complaint is 'groin soreness' rather then a pull or a strain. Which from my experience has an element of pain tolerance behind it (I played out a finals series with a sore groin, not fun, but we won the flag so I stopped feeling it halfway through the last quarter of the GF).

Anyway you can actually train at a relatively high level with a relatively full range of movement with groin soreness, but it impacts your explosive movements like jumping and sprinting, as well as your fatigue levels.

My guess is Matt was getting through the training reasonably well, but they needed to test the waters in a game day scenario. And that's when it because evident that it was hindering him.

Sloane out for 2-4 weeks after surgery done for a detached retina.

Just when he's getting into some sort of rhythm, another injury setback to Sloaney. In the past few years since 2017, he's had the following:
- appendicitis
- Lisfranc injury
- ankle sprain
- hamstring strain
- concussion
- eye injury requiring surgery

Sloane out for 2-4 weeks after surgery done for a detached retina.

Just when he's getting into some sort of rhythm, another injury setback to Sloaney. In the past few years since 2017, he's had the following:
- appendicitis
- Lisfranc injury
- ankle sprain
- hamstring strain
- concussion
- eye injury requiring surgery
Can you give us some insight here.

A detached retina is most likely a season ending injury?

I am still impressed when Sloane played with a mask.

1.png

This is the same guy for me that stopped a smug campaigner from potentially claiming a flag back in 2017 when he left us for nothing. Always has my respect.

GrandioseAdmiredBasenji-max-1mb.gif

Get well soon Rory. :thumbsu:

Can you give us some insight here.

A detached retina is most likely a season ending injury?
I think it depends on how bad the detachment is. If they're quoting 2-4 weeks time off, then surely it's in the minor end of the scale? Season ending injuries are basically the baddest type of injuries where you often need surgery, and needing at least 3-6 months off playing.

I think it depends on how bad the detachment is. If they're quoting 2-4 weeks time off, then surely it's in the minor end of the scale? Season ending injuries are basically the baddest type of injuries where you often need surgery, and needing at least 3-6 months off playing.

They can do spot-welding with a laser, can't they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back