Injury Injury Watch 2021

Not going to get much better than that this year.
Given our lack of experience, we have done well to be without 3 choice players for the whole year (Talia, Crouch & Milera) .

However, in a rebuild year, their loss, along with Lynch has allowed us to get more games into younger players.... & Mackay retaining his place. ;)

Drive in accident by the rumour ( foot caught in the glove box), looks like there will be a club wide ban on players going to the Gepps Cross mainline after this

Hocking has referred the Wallis family straight to the tribunal.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Early news on AFC is no concussion and neck strain/stiffness for Tex. Will no doubt get to the very last moment to see if he can take the field. Or perhaps with Lynch's 200 games being available we might take the opportunity to rest Tex so he's primed for a strong finish.
I think Frampton and Tex being replaced by Lynch and Fog would be interesting to see. Give Fog some space to work in as the first option, and Lynch can do the onfield coaching work Tex does currently.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Frampton and Tex being replaced by Lynch and Fog would be interesting to see. Give Fog some space to work in as the first option, and Lynch can do the onfield coaching work Tex does currently.

the on-filed coaching is overrated. We had more scoring shots in the half without Tex than the half with him. The conversion rate of scores from inside 50 entries improved as well. If not to improve scoring attempts, what is the expected impact of this coaching?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
the on-filed coaching is overrated. We had more scoring shots in the half without Tex than the half with him. The conversion rate of scores from inside 50 entries improved as well. If not to improve scoring attempts, what is the expected impact of this coaching?
We had more scoring attempts in the second half because the game opened up more. Leadership shouldn't be about more scoring shots, but more to do with ensuring the fundamentals and the 1-percenters in the young players.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
We had more scoring attempts in the second half because the game opened up more. Leadership shouldn't be about more scoring shots, but more to do with ensuring the fundamentals and the 1-percenters in the young players.

So it's not about scoring? Interesting take? In any case, looking at our other forwards, he's not doing much of a job.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Early news on AFC is no concussion and neck strain/stiffness for Tex. Will no doubt get to the very last moment to see if he can take the field. Or perhaps with Lynch's 200 games being available we might take the opportunity to rest Tex so he's primed for a strong finish.
Just on Tex, I reckon he'll get at least 1 week off with the injury. It wasn't just a simple neck strain, but a whiplash injury, similar to when you get bumped by a car and your head suddenly jolts backwards. Tex was lying quite still for some short time and I suspect he had a very mild concussion as well. You also hear the commentators mentioning Tex was complaining about his shoulder being weak also. So when you add it all up, it's highly unlikely he'll be ready by next week.

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would be crazy for the club to play him after that incident... that could have well been an incident that put him into a wheel chair. Was great to see him stand up

Brown struggling with his achilles again.

Surely it's time to put him on ice for the rest of the season.

Or, and hear me out here... what if we play him every week and run him into the ground?

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or, and hear me out here... what if we play him every week and run him into the ground?
We don't play senior guys with niggling injuries. Well accept Lynch, and Brown, and ROB, and Sloane, and Keays was wearing a glove on the weekend...

Oh that's right, we do play senior players with niggling injuries!

We don't play senior guys with niggling injuries. Well accept Lynch, and Brown, and ROB, and Sloane, and Keays was wearing a glove on the weekend...

Oh that's right, we do play senior players with niggling injuries!
Every player plays with niggles.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Don't need to be inside the fabled 4 walls to have noticed that. But you've got to get your priorities straight, there's 4 points on offer Friday evening. And maximising the average games played stat is a key foundation of earning those points. But with Tex pushing through the neck paid and Lynch's 200 games coming back in, we might be able to do the right thing regarding Brown.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never said they did. But if you think players shouldn't play if they have niggles, you'd be lucky to field a team.
Yes, but players will always say they can play, its the job of the selectors to understand which players with niggles can perform to the standard demanded of their role, vs the ones who are physically unable to perform their role to the detriment of his teammates.

I don't feel like our selectors have a particularly good track record of this. Granted under the new regime it seems to be improving, but its still not great

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Need to think bigger, that's loser talk. If we do this right, we could push it to the point it needs off-season surgery, delaying his return to training and if we're prepared really do it right, he could totally destroy himself trying to catch up to be ready for round 1. Like we did with Talia. I think that's the benchmark these days.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, but players will always say they can play, its the job of the selectors to understand which players with niggles can perform to the standard demanded of their role, vs the ones who are physically unable to perform their role to the detriment of his teammates.

I don't feel like our selectors have a particularly good track record of this. Granted under the new regime it seems to be improving, but its still not great

It's certainly an exception to the 'selection integrity' rule. That said, if junior players with niggles fail to perform, the axe falls very quickly at selection committee. Can't get them out of the team quick enough.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's certainly an exception to the 'selection integrity' rule. That said, if junior players with niggles fail to perform, the axe falls very quickly at selection committee. Can't get them out of the team quick enough.
Exactly, and like I said before I do believe this regime has improved in this regard (1000x better then the Pyke era IMO), but are still guilty of giving certain senior players too much say in their own injury/selection decision.

I'm hoping it continues to improve as the younger players continue pushing some of the more regular culprits out of the best 22 (and eventually off the list).

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly, and like I said before I do believe this regime has improved in this regard (1000x better then the Pyke era IMO), but are still guilty of giving certain senior players too much say in their own injury/selection decision.

I'm hoping it continues to improve as the younger players continue pushing some of the more regular culprits out of the best 22 (and eventually off the list).

I'm not sure it's imoroved. Tex, Talia and Sloane in a spoon year. Lynch till he couldn't walk this year, Sloane with busted finger, Brown and his Achilles. We're still doing it. At least Pyke had the contending excuse to blame for selecting injured seniors and the continuity imperative.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interested in seeing how Doedee progresses over the coming days. Here’s the recent update of injuries post-match against Dons:

Tom Doedee:

“Tom was involved in a heavy collision during the first quarter and taken from the ground.

"He suffered blurred vision when being assessed in the rooms and also has a chest injury and was subbed out of the game.”

Paul Seedsman:

“Paul got a knock to his calf in the third quarter and will be monitored during the week.”

Jordon Butts:

“Jordon sustained a laceration to his head and required stitches, and also a corked hip in the same marking contest in the second quarter.

"Pleasingly he was able to finish the game and will be assessed in coming days.”

—————
With Doedee, there appears to be a chest bruising injury and also a mild concussion. Think he will miss at least 1 week off, maybe more if there is also a rib fracture.

Back