Injury Injury Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lions Recovery Report

Rhys Mathieson had surgery last night to repair his fractured right cheekbone after a receiving a high bump in the third quarter of the Brisbane Lions’ match against GWS on Sunday.

Mathieson left the field in the hands of medical staff. GWS forward Jeremy Cameron was reported and cited by the Match Review Panel yesterday. He’ll face the AFL Tribunal tonight.

19-year-old Mathieson is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with the injury.

Meanwhile youngster Jaden McGrath was cleared of a fracture in his left shoulder. McGrath left the field with the assistance of Club medical staff and was taken to hospital for scans.

“Jaden took a hit in the first quarter to his left shoulder,” said Lions Head of Physiotherapy Shane Lemcke.

“He injured his left centre clavicular joint, fortunately he didn’t fracture his clavicle but he’s still going to be out for a couple of weeks.”

Forward Josh Green (foot) and Captain Tom Rockliff (hamstring) have Round 1 in their sights and will join the main training group when the players return from a three day break on Thursday.

“Tom has run with his hamstring – he is up to full pace and should train normally from Thursday.”

The pre-game rain on Sunday made for more challenging conditions than usual.

Martin copped an errant elbow and played out the remainder of the match with his jaw strapped, while Bastinac emerged from the bench with a bandaged forehead early in the match.

“It was a pretty heavy contact game.

“Ryan got four stitches above his right eye and Stef got a few stitches under his chin.”

Injury list on the AFL site has Zorko listed as indefinite with a knee.

I'd say (and hope) it's an error. I'm thinking the writer went to add 1 week due to suspension, but maybe started thinking about our other Dayne.

Also not sure how they manged to omit Clarke..

Dayne Beams Knee Indefinite
Allen Christensen Finger Available
Josh Green Foot Test
Rhys Mathieson Cheekbone 6 weeks
Jaden McGrath Shoulder 2 weeks
Tom Rockliff Hamstring Available
Dayne Zorko Knee Indefinite
Updated: Wednesday, March 16

Injury list on the AFL site has Zorko listed as indefinite with a knee.

I'd say (and hope) it's an error. I'm thinking the writer went to add 1 week due to suspension, but maybe started thinking about our other Dayne.

Also not sure how they manged to omit Clarke..

Dayne Beams Knee Indefinite
Allen Christensen Finger Available
Josh Green Foot Test
Rhys Mathieson Cheekbone 6 weeks
Jaden McGrath Shoulder 2 weeks
Tom Rockliff Hamstring Available
Dayne Zorko Knee Indefinite
Updated: Wednesday, March 16
Huh? When did Tinka do his knee?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The injury list: round one

BRISBANE LIONS