Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely thiiiiiiiis close to pulling the pin on AFL. Second other footy - local, VFL, something not tainted by the truly obnoxious need for shiny - I might try to cultivate an interest in that.

AFL's not the sport it once was, and the circus around following it - sans information or appeals to intellect or enjoyment; I'm not asking for unremitting good coverage of my team or the game. What I want is informative, analytical and honest coverage of the game, and a lack of people wanting to stick the boot in (or a long memory within our club or the industry for those who did so) - has truly made following the sport a heart attack waiting to happen. It's stress I don't need in my life, and it's causing me to hate the game.

I don't even follow much AFL media; I see what's said about us on here, and I speak to my family about footy and talk with them and that's more than enough to get the predominant narrative.

I said this a while ago:

... and I'm getting to the point where I do not think the way those involved within the AFL industry are making their money is okay anymore. They're exploitative of people. They do not care who they hurt or whose privacy they invade or who they drive to drink or depression.

I'm sick of it, and I'm sick of them.

I have three hobbies which I have enjoyed for decades now and I rotate between them or dont do much for a while even years - but then I get an itch and I am into one of them again.

Doesn't really matter what the hobbies are really - just pick somethings you really like and do it.

For me ut has always been photography, machining and music . you also need an excuse to exercise I do golf and surfing or swimming.

This alt-tab into BF for me is switching between Bloomberg screens or whatever dry financial thingy I have to read computers make it easy to waste time and get too obsessed about crapola - the of season is long.

I'm starting to wonder again.
I really do wonder sometimes exactly how much of the SPS bullshit on this forum is sincere, how much of it is looking for someone to blame, and how much is some old bloke not liking that blackfella on his tv set.

People use words like lazy and soft, and sure he's been down. But the bloke's ridden bulls before, and been subject to tackles most of the muppets watching him haven't ever been subject to. How much of these themes are observations, and how many are reoccurring themes that always seem to crop up around players of indigenous heritage?

I’ll start - The very fact the filth is sitting above us, has me seething.
I actually had a terrible nights sleep because of their win. It shouldn’t affect me like that, has nothing to do with us but I ******* hate that team and Essendon with a burning passion

Bump.

We're in for a potentially interesting few weeks, so let's have us a rant thread.

Bring me your anger, your bile, your ill-considered feelings! Bring me your fury and your madness, and put the pen to paper and the finger to key!

This is my Depth thread.

Thank you for seeking it out.

Ugh, Lachie Plowman is the new Jordan Russell.

Feel sorry for the lad.

nothing to feel sorry about.

He is playing AFL.

Doubt he would read BF.

I hear crap about him at games almost every time I have watched them live (in flesh) at the footy.

Even when he plays well, he still gets bagged from some .

Defintley case of perpetual whipping boy syndrome (and yes every club probably has one of them)

No one likes to be criticised or abused for making mistakes in their workplace or whatever other scenario, it does hurt.

I hear crap about him at games almost every time I have watched them live (in flesh) at the footy.

Defintley case of perpetual whipping boy syndrome (and yes every club probably has one of them)

No one likes to be criticised or abused for making mistakes in their workplace or whatever other scenario, it does hurt.
Professional sports isn’t a conventional workplace.

Fans support the club first and the players comprising the team will receive feedback in real time - good and bad - while in the course of doing their job. Some of it will be reasonable, plenty of it will be scapegoating comments made by supporters who need a simple solution to what can often be a team-based issue. Players know this when they get drafted, and this is becomes more apparent and becomes drilled into them the longer they are in the system.

This is why resilience programs, sports psychology and mindfulness is all the rage with professional clubs.

Player performance is also viewed in isolation and that is why players get dropped for the betterment of the team. When players miss tackles or don’t make decisions that aren’t going to improve the sides ability to win that has a flow on effect to the rest of the squad.

Plowman cops a pretty raw deal at times from fans at the game, but he’s largely treated very well by supporters on here - almost to the extreme.

Doubt he would read BF.

Do not be surprised. Have been told by multiple people (one a current Suns player) that many read here and that there's often discussion about what people have posted. There's even been suggestions that multiple AFL players post on the forums anonymously.

I have been told that in the heat of the moment they could care less - people wear their hearts on their sleeves - but it's the barrage hours, days, after games that can be damaging.

Lachie would be well aware of what people think/say/write of him. Obviously it then depends on an individual's psychology whether it impacts them and to what extent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that kids leading up to their draft year would be reading sites like this due to their interest in the game. Once they are in the system though, clubs should probably be doing as much as they can to get the players off these sites. They are already entrenched in 24/7 footy, reading about it really can't offer anything positive to their personal development.

I get that kids leading up to their draft year would be reading sites like this due to their interest in the game. Once they are in the system though, clubs should probably be doing as much as they can to get the players off these sites. They are already entrenched in 24/7 footy, reading about it really can't offer anything positive to their personal development.

It's often a case that players have too much free time on their hands and we live in an increasingly digital world. This is especially the case for players who are originally from outside the state that they're playing in.

It's often a case that players have too much free time on their hands and we live in an increasingly digital world. This is especially the case for players who are originally from outside the state that they're playing in.
Yeah, I remember Parkin was big on getting the players doing study etc. to have an outlet away from the game. Some clubs are probably better at it than others.

Yeah, I remember Parkin was big on getting the players doing study etc. to have an outlet away from the game. Some clubs are probably better at it than others.

When I was doing my triple degree I had Jimmy Bartel in one of my group assignments. I know speaking to him that half that Cats team were studying something.

A lot of very very dumb supporters out there.

Players definitely would read forums here and there.. I still remember when Carrazzo had a screenshot of his laptop and had a Talking Carlton tab open.

When I was doing my triple degree I had Jimmy Bartel in one of my group assignments. I know speaking to him that half that Cats team were studying something.
The council website for permits & updates on the zoning regs being changed for them 😂
Back in the day I was at Vic Uni/institute of sport campus with a couple Blues in the class

everything has to be safe now, no head clashes, no fights pfft. I was to watch footy that’s gone the other way. Give the players weapons. If someone gets shanked in a marking contest so be it. See who really want to win.

Don’t know who the poster was but they hit the nail in the head for mine the other day
Basically stated all our highly paid payers have never had to prove anything
Never had to play finals or win just be individually good. When it’s crunch time we’ve dropped games and gone to water
What’s worse is I can’t see blues now making finals
What a complete waste of a year
We needed to get at least one finals game for experience to grow
Now that looks done

Don’t know who the poster was but they hit the nail in the head for mine the other day
Basically stated all our highly paid payers have never had to prove anything
Never had to play finals or win just be individually good. When it’s crunch time we’ve dropped games and gone to water
What’s worse is I can’t see blues now making finals
What a complete waste of a year
We needed to get at least one finals game for experience to grow
Now that looks done
A lot has to go right externally for other clubs for us to fall out of the 8 now. Dogs shot themselves on the foot last night. Even if they go 2/2 next fortnight, they also need %

Saints have a very very tough 2 weeks.

Tigers will probably surpass us to 7th.

We only need to win 1 more game and I truly think that will happen today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back