Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Simmo should be given a rest to make way for one of em
So should Murphy, although not necessarily at the same time.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Despite being one of several of CFC's main rivals, perhaps the greatest enemy of all, what a friggin relief it is to play against a real team this week; rather than another of the AFL's plastic creations. Respect to the Pies. Bounce it.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Kill off the GCS; leeches

Nah. It's good to have a team up there, not just for experts but to increase the talent pool of the juniors coming through, even if we won't see the tangible benefits for at least 20-30 years.

Absolutely flummoxed why you have such a bee in your bonnet about The Suns. The VFL and it's club's would have died/gone the way of the dodo if we don't go National in the 80s.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah. It's good to have a team up there, not just for experts but to increase the talent pool of the juniors coming through, even if we won't see the tangible benefits for at least 20-30 years.

Absolutely flummoxed why you have such a bee in your bonnet about The Suns. The VFL and it's club's would have died/gone the way of the dodo if we don't go National in the 80s.

You're either confused or being deliberately misleading regarding my position on this issue. Sure, I'm a proud Victorian, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the national competition. Have I called for the Lions to be killed off? or WC? or Port? , or Sydney who I dislike with a passion? No, I'm not against a national competition; rather, I'm against seemingly unlimited social handouts without reasonable prospects of return, and the impact on fairdinkum clubs. GCS are drain on clubs, talent pool, and supporters.

Last edited:

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If Tassie entered the AFL I'd buy and hold a current Tassie membership until the end of my days.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If the AFL was truly serious about a National Competition, Tassie should have been given a license before GWS or GC

Tassie IMO have not got a sustainable population or corporate growth down there to justify having a full time independent team there now, esp after this COVID19 has crippled the entire economy of all industries, perhaps for decades to come.

Unpopular opinion, bringing teams in Gold Coast and Western Sydney was the right call, it's only a question of whether they were brought in too soon to each other and/or they receieved to many draft concessions ans academy zones.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Tassie IMO have not got a sustainable population or corporate growth down there to justify having a full time independent team there now, esp after this COVID19 has crippled the entire economy of all industries, perhaps for decades to come.

Unpopular opinion, bringing teams in Gold Coast and Western Sydney was the right call, it's only a question of whether they were brought in too soon to each other and/or they receieved to many draft concessions ans academy zones.
if, as you imply, GCS have better prospects for success due to their more sizeable supporter catchment, they may be doing a poor job of converting their potential into membership numbers. Sounds like they could well do with the assistance of a membership sales guru; I know just the right person to help em out.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

AFL brought those teams in to target the NRL supporter base, they will cease to exist if they aren't competitive

Tassie may not be a growing population, but it is a true AFL heartland.

If they had a team based there, attendances/memberships would double what GC or GWS average in a 12 month period

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
if, as you imply, GCS have better prospects for success due to their more sizeable supporter catchment, they may be doing a poor job of converting their potential into membership numbers. Sounds like they could well do with the assistance of a membership sales guru; I know just the right person to help em out.
[/QUOTE

images

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
AFL brought those teams in to target the NRL supporter base, they will cease to exist if they aren't competitive

Tassie may not be a growing population, but it is a true AFL heartland.

If they had a team based there, attendances/membershios would double what GC or GWS average in a 12 month period

FWIW the AFL put The Giants in the Western Sydney belt to try ward off Soccer (plenty of Migrant/First Generation families up there)

Sadly I feel like Kevin Sheedy and Eddie McGuire really hurt our game and The Giants brand up there by making some racially prejudicial about Soccer and the background of Soccer fans, when the Western Sydney Wanderers came in soon after the Giants.

How they made a racist bigot like Sheedy a legend in the Australian Rules Hall of Fame is a disgrace 👎👎👎

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
FWIW the AFL put The Giants in the Western Sydney belt to try ward off Soccer (plenty of Migrant/First Generation families up there)

Sadly I feel like Kevin Sheedy and Eddie McGuire really hurt our game and The Giants brand up there by making some racially prejudicial about Soccer and the background of Soccer fans, when the Western Sydney Wanderers came in soon after the Giants.

How they made a racist bigot like Sheedy a legend in the Australian Rules Hall of Fame is a disgrace 👎👎👎
To suggest that Kevin Sheedy is an unworthy HOFer is unfounded over-emotive nonsense . He's given more to the national game, and the AFL generally, than most. He has been one of the champions of indigenous involvement and development in the AFL. Racist my arse Elmer.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
To suggest that Kevin Sheedy is an unworthy HOFer is unfounded over-emotive nonsense . He's given more to the national game, and the AFL generally, than most. He has been one of the champions of indigenous involvement and development in the AFL. Racist my arse Elmer.

Fossie says it far more eloquently than I ever could.
#SheedySux

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Fossie says it far more eloquently than I ever could.
#SheedySux
Try not to be so overly fatalistic Elmer, we can all improve; even you. Peace out.

Unless referring to GCS; no reasonable prospect of sustainable success there.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Good word that: flummoxed.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Suns have added zero to the national competition apart from costing the league millions and diluting the talent available to other AFL teams. Both the GWS and GCS were just stupid additions to the league.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL calling for submissions from States to host this extended preseason’s GF, as if to
put it out to private auction, is plainly disrespectful to traditional footy States; SA and WA. Both of those States have fed our game, with talent and fairdinkum footy fans, for decades. Affording seemingly equal opportunity to the plastic non-footy States to host this year’s last game is cheap and nasty. I’m rooting for SA; but WA is just as deserving..

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Following on from Jake Niall’s most recent article in Theage, one of the few journos I rate highly, MK and Simmo are the 2 veterans that should retire at this season‘s end. Not much need to outline reasons why; i.e main reason in respect of each is fairly self-evident.

Betts still fills a void, has been able to get out there most weeks and is still dangerous; despite Niall suggesting otherwise.

Back