Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, I don't think it's that, I've seen plenty of other players cop the same type of criticisms over the years and they certainly weren't indigenous. Most of the time they are just baseless ramblings. Personally, I don't think you get to that level of football by being 'soft'. SPS isn't copping it half as bad as Murph right now ( some of the things being said are disgraceful IMO), so I think you can lay that theory to rest. People always need a whipping boy and once somebody starts here others jump aboard.
About all I can say is that I hope so. Perhaps it's the fact that I had hoped, as we improved, people would need whipping boys steadily less, or that in times like these we'd just be happy to be watching footy at all.

SPS looks like Weitering did in 2017. He looks sore, he looks completely down on confidence, and he looks as though he's second guessing himself. He looks as though he's kicking himself sufficiently; I don't know he needs all that much help from us.

I also really, truly do not want to look too hard at the alternative; I could go through this website, using the search functions, and do something of a survey of the word lazy, and cross-reference how often it coincides with the target being indigenous. I could, but I get the idea that the answer to the question would be utterly depressing.

About all I can say is that I hope so. Perhaps it's the fact that I had hoped, as we improved, people would need whipping boys steadily less, or that in times like these we'd just be happy to be watching footy at all.

SPS looks like Weitering did in 2017. He looks sore, he looks completely down on confidence, and he looks as though he's second guessing himself. He looks as though he's kicking himself sufficiently; I don't know he needs all that much help from us.

Oddly enough there seems to have been an increased need for whipping boys this year and some of the manner that criticisms have been presented have been quite vitriolic. Maybe it's just because of how the year's been and people are stressed out. It's been a difficult time for everyone, can't underestimate how that can have an effect on people.

I'm like you, I'm just happy to be seeing some football at all but we all react differently.

Abyss

Senior List
Jan 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, South Adelaide
I thought it was time for Simmo to hang up the boots last year.
Dependent on list sizes, Kruze will be handy as ruck insurance. His durability is a big question. Murph and Betts could be handy cameo role players managed through the season whilst we look for the rookies to fill the breaches. No more than 5-10 games for them though. Eddie has forgotten more than our forward line would know. I think Murph still has enough to help us win games, the question is how much influence he has supporting crippa and doc with leadership, and showing the others how to prepare physically and pre/post match routines.
For mine, no way Cas or Ed arent in the squad next year. They play roles or positions superior to anyone else on our list currently and anyone else we could trade.
Id have Dow, maybe JOB, even Martin up for trade if the right value came back. I have doubts on all of them for durability and consistency.

I thought it was time for Simmo to hang up the boots last year.
Dependent on list sizes, Kruze will be handy as ruck insurance. His durability is a big question. Murph and Betts could be handy cameo role players managed through the season whilst we look for the rookies to fill the breaches. No more than 5-10 games for them though. Eddie has forgotten more than our forward line would know. I think Murph still has enough to help us win games, the question is how much influence he has supporting crippa and doc with leadership, and showing the others how to prepare physically and pre/post match routines.
For mine, no way Cas or Ed arent in the squad next year. They play roles or positions superior to anyone else on our list currently and anyone else we could trade.
Id have Dow, maybe JOB, even Martin up for trade if the right value came back. I have doubts on all of them for durability and consistency.
Trade Martin? The bloke that we tried to trade in at his request?

Been one of our best this season playing almost on instinct, will get better as he learns our system. Needs to work on his set shots, otherwise he is close to our most complete player.

Would keep.

Abyss

Senior List
Jan 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, South Adelaide
Trade Martin? The bloke that we tried to trade in at his request?

Been one of our best this season playing almost on instinct, will get better as he learns our system. Needs to work on his set shots, otherwise he is close to our most complete player.

Would keep.

I like him as a player no worries there. Its just his durability and consistency that will concern me. For that money (i guess Mcgovern is in this bracket too) id be wanting Cripps level of playing through injury. I watched him in the suns as i enjoyed his game...but would disappear for large parts of the match, and then it went to seasons. Icing on the cake player. Would I trade for Williams, yes. If he maintains this years output we should be good. Post is objectionable for sure. Looking forward to see how his career plays out👍

I also really, truly do not want to look too hard at the alternative; I could go through this website, using the search functions, and do something of a survey of the word lazy, and cross-reference how often it coincides with the target being indigenous. I could, but I get the idea that the answer to the question would be utterly depressing.

It is a very difficult time for all players.
It is I suspect a very difficult time for Melbourne people stuck in isolation chambers and everyone in Australia who possesses at least half a brain.

The economic consequences combined with justified concern about health and safety issues stopping normal human activity is a phenomenon that will have far-reaching and unknown consequences in our society.

This is why the mongrel factor has to take a back seat to empathy and consideration this year at least - our culture and practise of entitlement and so-called rights is being challenged by an existential threat second only to the reality of war.

How we as a collective deal with these issues and all others that come along will determine the very nature of our way of life for a decade o come.

So long story short - I am more positively surprised by the convivial goodness of the forum than the occasional nuff nuffery evidenced by a post here or there.

The way one chooses to see the world and build a narrative around that is a choice - a narrative or meme no matter how well expressed is just that.

I see very little evidence of race-based pejorative if any at all - and if I did read such muck I would call it out immediately and so should everyone else.

SPS is having a form slump - he isn't alone.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It is a very difficult time for all players.
It is I suspect a very difficult time for Melbourne people stuck in isolation chambers and everyone in Australia who possesses at least half a brain.

The economic consequences combined with justified concern about health and safety issues stopping normal human activity is a phenomenon that will have far-reaching and unknown consequences in our society.

This is why the mongrel factor has to take a back seat to empathy and consideration this year at least - our culture and practise of entitlement and so-called rights is being challenged by an existential threat second only to the reality of war.

How we as a collective deal with these issues and all others that come along will determine the very nature of our way of life for a decade o come.

So long story short - I am more positively surprised by the convivial goodness of the forum than the occasional nuff nuffery evidenced by a post here or there.

The way one chooses to see the world and build a narrative around that is a choice - a narrative or meme no matter how well expressed is just that.

I see very little evidence of race-based pejorative if any at all - and if I did read such muck I would call it out immediately and so should everyone else.

SPS is having a form slump - he isn't alone.
I was more referring to the selection of him as a whipping boy than anything I've seen in particular. There have been stuff I've seen on the main board at times which border on being objectionable, but then on a purely written forum nuance can disappear with some posts and reappear in the next.

I've been pretty happy with this forum this year, too. Last few weeks have been pretty s**t - which stands to reason, given the results and the probable loss of a finals spot - but overall most posters have been pretty good. Murphy's still coping it, though; I even saw him win a HTB call last game, and people are still having a crack at him for not tackling.

I suppose I just really do not get the idea of needing a whipping boy. I don't get it. Why do you - the collective you - need someone specifically to blame for the side's woes?

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If Sammo is just out of form maybe someone can point out a series of games when he was in good form?. I remember a 30 + poss game against the dogs, and doing some nice things on a wet day at the MCG against Collingwood once, but apart from that??.

I think he's played enough footy and had enough continuity to show more than what he has.

Healer

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2018
Timboon
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, I don't think it's that, I've seen plenty of other players cop the same type of criticisms over the years and they certainly weren't indigenous. Most of the time they are just baseless ramblings. Personally, I don't think you get to that level of football by being 'soft'. SPS isn't copping it half as bad as Murph right now ( some of the things being said are disgraceful IMO), so I think you can lay that theory to rest. People always need a whipping boy and once somebody starts here others jump aboard.
I also suspect that there are oppo trolls and "I need attention trolls" on the board that don't cross the line but do bait and stir up the emotions of the true supporters to get a reaction.
Nothing the mods can do about that apart from calling out unreasonable opinions, which they often do.
Short of comparing, tracking IPL addresses and doing some blocking we have to put up with some of the crap and drivel.

Schoonerman

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I like him as a player no worries there. Its just his durability and consistency that will concern me. For that money (i guess Mcgovern is in this bracket too) id be wanting Cripps level of playing through injury. I watched him in the suns as i enjoyed his game...but would disappear for large parts of the match, and then it went to seasons. Icing on the cake player. Would I trade for Williams, yes. If he maintains this years output we should be good. Post is objectionable for sure. Looking forward to see how his career plays out👍
We don't need to trade for Williams , He is a restricted free agent...

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Their recent loss to the mollycoddled Lions hasn’t dissuaded me. Nor has that trolling supporter who recently crashed our Blues v Syd game day thread. I still want their footy manager as our next CEO; and soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
I am far, far angrier with the people who cannot ignore Kane Cornes and/or Caroline Wilson than I am with either of them.

Like moths to a bug zapper.
Every *en week people whinge about the same s**t "wahhh Cornes is trolling us waahhhh Caro doesn't like us" :( :(
Just stop paying attention to them! So simples.

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
Cornes and Caro.......there is a match made in heaven :eek:

Couldn't give a FLYING CLUSTER * what either of those two painful people have to say.

And spot on Mrs E.....ignoring them is the best way to treat their types.

PS only time I bit was when he bagged Jezzas mark......:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Cornes and Caro.......there is a match made in heaven :eek:

Couldn't give a FLYING CLUSTER fu** what either of those two painful people have to say.

And spot on Mrs E.....ignoring them is the best way to treat their types.

PS only time I bit was when he bagged Jezzas mark......:oops:
Cornes is good value. I like him.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I despise the term, 'destination club'.

Every single ******* club in the country is a destination club. There's shitloads of player movement, and players move for more or less the same reason always; prospects, environment and/or money. Players make choices and go where they want based on their options. Now, that's not saying there isn't a pull towards sides moving up the ladder or who are already there; that's so obvious to be redundant. But what pains me about it is that there is not one 'destination' club, but 10 to 12 every single season; the teams on the edge of the 8, and the teams already in it. Richmond came 13th in 2016; in that offseason, they picked up Caddy, Townsend, Prestia, Nankervis. Were they a destination club? Fremantle got Cam McCarthy, Joel Hamling, Brandon Matera and Harley Bennell within the space of 3 seasons; are they a destination club? Hawthorn in 2013 - after having won a flag - lost the best player in the comp to FA, and didn't get anything in to compensate; instead, they just got busier and more unpredictable up forward and proceeded to win the next two flags; were they not a destination club?

You can go through every single ******* list, and see the players that have come from other clubs. Every single ******* year, players move in all directions. So what's the point of a term which can be applied to every single ******* club?

Were we a 'destination club' in 2007, when we got Judd? Did it do us any ******* good?

The success condition of AFL is a premiership; nothing more, nothing less. There's 18 clubs, at roughly 45 players a club; that's 810 players, all of whom make these choices. And the worst part - the genuine worst - is that players when they choose to move for success more frequently get it wrong than they get it right; see, Treloar, Shiel, Goddard, Judd. Success is difficult when you've a one in 18 chance at it, so they can't be blamed, really, for making a mistake, but that's the point: if the term can be applied to everyone, it means nothing. It serves to make no distinction; it is something that people half pissed can sit around and nod sagely at when someone says those magical words.

It. Does. Not. Exist. This magical club where every player in the comp wants to be and no-one ever leaves. It is a mirage created by the beer fumes wafting from Mark Robinson's desk or the 1000 monkeys typing away at AFL HQ. I find the search for the next 'destination club' to be as foolish as the next person searching for the Holy Grail.

Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
editorial journalism and human umpiring need to banned from our game. it's time for Twitter to go the next level, and for the introduction of maggot drones.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not complaining about anything specific today, rather I’m complaining about everything generally; umpiring, the All Ozi selections, Richmond, GCS

I’m not complaining about anything specific today, rather I’m complaining about everything generally; umpiring, the All Ozi selections, Richmond, GCS
Ok Boomer

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It‘s been suggested, in another thread, that there might be a vacancy opening up at Richmond for the role of Footy Manager. If that’s true, the Tigers might consider poaching someone from another club with suitably transferable skills, to mould into that role; rather than poaching someone who‘s already in that role. They might want to consider the successful strategy adopted over at StKilda; that experience suggests that someone with recent experience in the role of CEO might be an excellent candidate for the role of Footy Manager.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I was told recently by a Tasmanian that Tassie isn't the AFL stronghold some people think it is and a fair portion of people don't like the state pouring great sums of money into having the AFL down there.

Soccer is the biggest sport in Tassie.

It‘s been suggested, in another thread, that there might be a vacancy opening up at Richmond for the role of Footy Manager. If that’s true, the Tigers might consider poaching someone from another club with suitably transferable skills, to mould into that role; rather than poaching someone who‘s already in that role. They might want to consider the successful strategy adopted over at StKilda; that experience suggests that someone with recent experience in the role of CEO might be an excellent candidate for the role of Footy Manager.
Any suggestions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back