Strategy Innovative Training Regimes

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
In the wake of the "Petracca Extreme Wet Weather" training revelation perhaps we can suggest some more innovations to give us that 1% we are missing.
As in -
The entire team has just completed the Cliff Young Sprint Academy. "All the boys really bought into the program but the standouts without doubt were Brayden and Oscar"

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love how Ling was talking about this sort of training in our game then all of a sudden a few days later we are doing it. Its as if Goodwin or Misson watched the replay then thought wow lets do that. Just shows how on the run this ******* club is

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I love how Ling was talking about this sort of training in our game then all of a sudden a few days later we are doing it. Its as if Goodwin or Misson watched the replay then thought wow lets do that. Just shows how on the run this ******* club is

Clubs been doing it a while

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What do you reckon was the best footy drill you did at training?

Anything where you didn't have to run.

Nah I loved the old roll the ball out between 2 blokes and try and win it. Coach would then slap it away and ya go for a second effort.

One day after our coach had enough we did the old link arms in a circle, everyone takes a turn standing in the middle and ya gotta do whatever ya can to get out. Ended up with a couple broken noses

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anything where you didn't have to run.

Nah I loved the old role the ball out between 2 blokes and try and win it. Coach would then slap it away and ya go for a second effort.

One day after our coach had enough we did the old link arms in a circle, everyone takes a turn standing in the middle and ya gotta do whatever ya can to get out. Ended up with a couple broken noses
I remember those. Yeah they were good. We did this full ground drill where you’d have a CHF in the middle. You’d start at one end (FB) and lead out to him, they’d kick it to you on the lead, then two flankers would come up to get the handball. The kicker would also run up and the 3 would have to handball and work the back to the other end. The forward would just turn and lead the other way.

Rinse repeat. Great drill for the forward to lead and mark and for the runners to cover ground.

I also like circle work, just getting as many touches as possible.

Back