>insert famous sportspersons name< Foundation > are they just a rort?

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
The McGrath foundation. There's another suss one..
My thoughts immediately went there too when I first heard about Warnies charity.
Another issue I have, is celebrities in the roles of *ambassadors* receiving plaudits, all the while being highly paid for doing very little, and redirecting much needed donations into the lining of their own pockets.
A friend who works with the Olivia Newton John foundation says the public would be mortified with how much she gets paid in that role.

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
Never a truer word spoken, Gough.

I love Warney. We all love Warney . (well most of us)
He is one of the few guys in this country who can get just get away with stuff.

I mean, the fact that he is a convicted drug cheat and was suspended for twelve months, it's just kind of forgotten. What other athlete would get away with that in this country's court of public opinion?

So what is the court of public opinion saying about this?

Is the Warne family up to some shenanigans?

Or is this just a really poorly run organisation?

I'm going with a bit of column A and B tbh.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah to be fair going with column B could be right, many businesses go through struggles, and like Tim Costello has said, maybe the charity market is saturated at the moment.

They should be afforded the opportunity to turn things around to improve their situation, like any business I guess. Part off that process is asking yourself some hard questions about how you run things. Could they get cheaper offices? Could they find better staff that do not cost as much? Or can they use the publicity to generate more income and thus a better outcome for the kids?

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah to be fair going with column B could be right, many businesses go through struggles, and like Tim Costello has said, maybe the charity market is saturated at the moment.

They should be afforded the opportunity to turn things around to improve their situation, like any business I guess. Part off that process is asking yourself some hard questions about how you run things. Could they get cheaper offices? Could they find better staff that do not cost as much? Or can they use the publicity to generate more income and thus a better outcome for the kids?

It makes me wonder whether the whole clan is truly naïve, (renting family owned properties to the charity, paying the brother big coin, being deliberately obstructionist with the accounts etc.), or whether they are also convinced by the Messiah Complex that Shane so clearly believes in.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I mean, the fact that he is a convicted drug cheat and was suspended for twelve months, it's just kind of forgotten. What other athlete would get away with that in this country's court of public opinion?

I view Warne's drug taking in the same vein as Alastair Lynch's; both honest mistakes (well Lynch's substances were approved then had become prohibited), with both individuals fronting up immediately as soon as it came to their attention that they may have been breaking the code. There was no secrecy or attempts to cover anything up, and to my knowledge, both individuals appeared willing to open themselves to any scrutiny surrounding their actions.

It is that honesty that preserves Warne's integrity in not only the domestic arena, but on the international stage as well.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I view Warne's drug taking in the same vein as Alastair Lynch's; both honest mistakes (well Lynch's substances were approved then had become prohibited), with both individuals fronting up immediately as soon as it came to their attention that they may have been breaking the code. There was no secrecy or attempts to cover anything up, and to my knowledge, both individuals appeared willing to open themselves to any scrutiny surrounding their actions.

It is that honesty preserves Warne's honesty and integrity in not only a domestic arena, but on the international stage as well.

I thought the story was he took a masking agent around the time that his shoulder seemed to recover faster than expected? Could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doesn't contain Thymosin Beta-4 does it?

It will be interesting to study the health of those players over the next 20 or more years, compared to those on the placebo.

Hormone imbalance has serious effects on the body. They were injecting this drug to speed up the recovery of the muscles.

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
It is that honesty preserves Warne's honesty and integrity in not only a domestic arena, but on the international stage as well.

upload_2015-12-1_19-17-19.png

A bit of me died when he retired, I knew the chances of ever seeing a leggie like him again in my lifetime were so negligible as to be insignificant.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
My old man took me to Sydney to see what turned out to be Warnie's first Test, we were both adamant that the blonde leggie with a mullet wouldn't amount to much.
cos he looked like the fat bogan he was and is. All the supplements and cosmetic procedures and hair plugs cant take the fat bogan out of the fat bogan.

fat bogan qua fat bogan

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond

It is that honesty that preserves Warne's integrity in not only the domestic arena, but on the international stage as well.
there is a picture of Warne around 2001-ish, with his shirt off. He looks in fine nick, seriously, he looks fantastic, like Glen Archer. Tip top shape, guns look like they are hardened by a footballers preseason.

In cycling terms #NOTNORMAL.

He was on gear. His best mate was Aaron Hamill. And Arch woulda been on gear, but atleast he had a north melbourne work ethic and one of the top 10 players of his generation with the work ethic and gym appetite that supported it.

Now compare that to his physique at the Adelaide cricket academy. He was a fat little cnut. a fat bogan cnut.

Last edited:

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
The thing I found interesting is that the substance Warne was detected with was later taken off the banned list as it was determined it wouldn't be effective as a masking agent anyway. I'd always assumed he was on something to help fix his shoulder, but maybe he really did just want to look good on telly for his mum?

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm going with he knew what he'd set up as did those celebrities on the board.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm going with he knew what he'd set up as did those celebrities on the board.
nah, I wont see this as fraudulant or even ambiguously fraudulent... it was a slipper* slope/mission creep, they keep on taking more expenses, and the family assets are leased... it does not seem criminal or even shady to 'da bogan and da bogans family.

they think it is a confluence of image/branding/doing good... you get the personal fillup and credit, but you can help some less fortunate. I wont give Warnie credit for the testosterone/roids or whatever he was on, but this, I am willing to sling him a wide berth. He could do good thinks on the subcontinent with no money, or little money, or the 3 cents in the dollar. your devils advocate will be the charity was diverted from other 80 cents in a dollar charities. point recognised.

*edit. slipper slope was inadvertant malapropism, but the pun if felicitous, and i will take credit for it so just forget you read this edit or saw the asterisk

Last edited:
Back