Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just wondering how people are going to keep track of the draft. In the past there was a live telecast. Do we keep track through the AFL website or is there another way?

Agree with superfreak. If the General thinks Carlton are
going to built a defence that will hold up in finals footy
from VFL players like Austin and Bannister, AFL fringe
players like Bower
and unaccountable possession chasers
like Scotland and Carrazzo - good luck. Carlton need Hurley
at CHB, but so do about 14 other clubs ( including the Dogs )

You sir, are an idiot.

Why comment if you don't have a good understanding of these players?

If we draft a KPP with our first picks, they will most likely be developed as forwards. Our defense needs to develop in terms of physicality. The young boys are there, they just need to grow as a unit.

How did Luke Stanton not get a mention in the possible draftees? Clealry has better credentials and more potential than many stated.:confused:

Griffen is a soft HBF, Deledio a soft winger of FF when Terry's desperate not a midfielder. (They may become ones but they are nowhere near it at this point of their career)

LOL. Didn't like the way Griffen tore into you guys twice this year eh? :p You're an idiot mate, Griffen thrives on the contested situation and busts through tackles. He's most definitely not what you'd call soft. Not to mention Deledio, he's not a ****ing winger, he is a genuine on baller who is also anything but soft.

Agree with superfreak. If the General thinks Carlton are
going to built a defence that will hold up in finals footy
from VFL players like Austin and Bannister, AFL fringe
players like Bower and unaccountable possession chasers
like Scotland and Carrazzo - good luck. Carlton need Hurley
at CHB, but so do about 14 other clubs ( including the Dogs )
Our defence seemed to hold up alright against the Dogs when we beat you.

Your side is even more unaccountable than Carlton's midfielders and half forwards.

How many goals did Franklin kick on Lake the week after he kicked four on Bower?

You clearly haven't seen Mark Austin play who is only 19 years of age and rated by Carlton.

Bower is as much as fringe player as Andrejs Everitt...
Effes....come on mate, open your eyes...

Here is what key forwards kicked against the Blues last year:

6 - Bradshaw, Brown
5 - Richardson, Roughead
4 - Gehrig, Lloyd, Lloyd, Green (played deep forward), Burton, Pavlich, Moran, Franklin
3 - Tarrant, C.Hughes, Riewoldt, Hahn, B.Johnson, Hale

(72 goals @ 4 goals per game)

And there were plenty more on 2 goals.

That tells me that you need a quality key defender. Jamieson and Bower will be good as 2nd/3rd talls.
You do realise Bower missed games this year and is still skinny for a 20 year old?

I think we beat Richmond, Melbourne and Freo when Hughes and Tarrant kicked three and Pavlich and Green kicked four in the respective matches. :eek:

Bower switched back onto Bradshaw this year and held him when we overran them at home in an upset.

Bower beat Travis Cloke and ran off him to create alot of drive in our win in round four.

Check how many goals Cloke kicked on Ryder if Bower is only a third tall...

Jamison held Bradshaw goalless until he injured his shoulder and Waite took over.

Waite beat Richardson on the wing and Rocca this year.
A few things on some topic/questions raised.....

- TheGeneral, You said "Do people keep pulling this opinion out of the recycle bin so they don't have to think and look at our list?"
Well Carlton need a key defender more than anything else, and being a Blue's fan yourself, surely the last three years of not being able to stop anything from scoring would tell you this. Unless you want to put your faith in the likes of Jamieson, Austin and Bower and think that they will be able to stand up in the heat of finals footy (which you should play this year). Hurley is better than all these blokes and is the type of player you can build your defence around. Solid as a rock, reads the play better than most and is the best kick in the draft. You can find a inside mid with your second pick and this draft is super deep with quality key forwards.
It's true.

Hawthorn's premiership backline of Birchall, Gilham, Croad and Hodge isn't exactly the land of the giants...

Everyone just pencils in a KPP at our pick in their phantom draft and thinks we don't need another midfielder or a Yarran.

Hadley was a huge loss for Carlton this year after his game against Collingwood.

Judd, Gibbs and Murphy would be better players if we had another inside midfielder feeding them the ball on the outside.

Hartlett or Ziebell might fit that position.

You know nothing about list and who we rate.

We aren't recruiting for this year, but two years down the track when we should be aiming for a flag.

That's an interesting comment that we need Hurley for this year and not the best player when they're at their best three years from now.

That would be laughed at by Carlton when Warnock is still two years away from his best.

I'd rather we draft Trengove who Emma Quayle reportedly said Carlton are interested in.

Our second pick is pick 40, so can you name the inside midfielders that we will draft there? :confused: ;)

I want a Mitch Brown or Steven Motlop there.
Also..
"All we get is the same old tired opinions on a club's needs and a phantom draft with a few names shuffled around."
Don't think for one second that this is an exercise that is done in the spacxe of a few hours. To put together something like this takes hours of talking with recrtuing mangers, player managers, junior development officers and the like to get an idea of what each club feels is their greatest need/who is in the mix at each pick so its not just opinion, its got a fair bit of fact behind it!

- Some clubs don't rate Sidebottom as a first round pick.

- Most clubs give glowing endorsements pof their own players due to the fact they ARE the best of the best. Over 2000+ kids nominate each year for the draft. We have profiled the top 150 so of course these kids can play and are going to have some wraps on them. At the end of the day, only 70 odd kids get picked each year, so there is a fair bit of quality that either feeds down to state/local level, or in some cases is lost to the game forever.

- Lenny Hayes IS 187cm and Dal Santo is around the mark as well. Quite deceiving. In facr most AFL mid's are taller than you think. There is a sprinkling of smaller sized midfielders in the games elite but you will find that the trend is for taller midfielders. Apart from Murphy, Palmer, Foley etc. most of those smaller mid's are all from a past draft age when the emphasis was on drafting footballers not athletes.

- Finally, thanks to everyone that has gone out and bought the magazine. As stated by a previous poster, the advent of the internet has made life a fair bit tougher for publications such as IF but there is still a place and demand for it in the market!
Sensitive much?

I doubt Carlton and the clubs have worked out who they want two weeks before the draft.

Unless you believe the clubs call time and grab their copy of Inside Football in case they forget who they rate. :cool:

You confirmed my suspicions about most journalists and Inside Football IF you work there and you're not taking the piss.

You're probably one of those journalists who writes down the best players based on watching it on TV or the stats at the end of the game...

I'm not going to buy your piece of garbage paper after reading your nonsensical reply.

And I was going to until I clicked on this thread again. :thumbsu: :)

Your side is even more unaccountable than Carlton's midfielders and half forwards.

How many goals did Franklin kick on Lake the week after he kicked four on Bower?

You clearly haven't seen Mark Austin play who is only 19 years of age and rated by Carlton.

Bower is as much as fringe player as Andrejs Everitt...

Let me preface this by saying that I do not agree with seeing eye dog and I rate Paul Bower as a 200 gamer for the Blues, but our side should no longer wear the unaccountable tag all round town. We changed this year and have the 3rd possie on the ladder to prove it.

Also, please get your facts straight with Buddy, with Williams out, we were forced to put Morris onto Buddy and Lake to Roughead. Around about . . . when the damage was already done, Rocket decided to swap the two round. From there on Lake definitely beat Franklin. It was not Lake who let Buddy go wild it was the severely undersized Morris.

And btw, this year I think Dr Drej was more of a fringe player than Bower:thumbsu:but he showed some good signs for Willi late and is still a promising player for us.

Ah General, good to see some passion from you and you are entitled to your opinionjust like anyone else.

- "I think we beat Richmond, Melbourne and Freo when Hughes and Tarrant kicked three and Pavlich and Green kicked four in the respective matches."
You still need a KD, and on draft day, you will realise that your recruiting staff think the same thing.

- Judd, Gibbs and Murphy ARE INSIDE MIDFIELDERS. You dont need another inside midfielder feeding them the ball on the outside. If anything you need another goalkicker to help Fev.

- You say that you would like Trengove over Hurley after arguing for the past few days that you dont need a key defender......they are pretty much the same type of player. Both are more suited to KD, but can play at either end but JT can play in the ruck if needed.

It's not about being sensitive about what you have written, its about people like yourself attacking journo's for giving their opinions on what clubs need and are looking at doing when in reality, unless you are Wayne Hughes, they have seen a hell of a lot more than what you have and have a greater insight into what goes on, after all it is their full time job.

Finally, your main complaint is that journo's take the easy option with their opinion on Carlton by saying they need a KD, yet you go and do it yourself with this uneducated comment about journo's- "You're probably one of those journalists who writes down the best players based on watching it on TV or the stats at the end of the game..."

Bit hypocritical huh??

Inside Footy always do a great job on the Draft, and their coverage in general is excellent. Always worth a read.

I agree, I think their draft issues are the best of the year and pretty good quality.

I use to buy the paper every week but grew tired of inaccuracies regarding my side. Even in this issue Nathan Burke says Lynch needs to lift despite him finishing 2nd in our B+F and being one of our most consistent all year. He is one of the last I'd be asking to lift.

Never mind, I still buy it occasionally.

Your side is even more unaccountable than Carlton's midfielders and half forwards.....

I want a Mitch Brown or Steven Motlop there.

: :)

Steven Motlop is a bit of a risk IMO as he may want to play with his brother in a couple of years time. I think Port might want him not just because of what he can do but the family connection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back